IGNORED

Icy Trees

GFisher

5 hours ago, RedRider3141 said:

Oaks are tough, short of oak wilt, they are very hardy.

Good to know.  The live oaks I've seen look terrible --  all the leaves frost bit and brown. I hope the leaf exchange proceeds normally. 

We'll watch for red bud trees and mountain mahogany -- they usually bloom first. 

I rode by a huge magnolia tree this afternoon; it looked perfect -- seemingly not affected at all. 

• 2 weeks later...

1 month update?

• By the looks of the curbside stuff last week, all the sago palms in NW Austin are dead.
  • Some paddle cactus survived unscathed, while others melted.
  • Blue agave plants lost outer stuff but are still alive.
  • My English Ivy:  "what cold weather?"
  • My sad little quince sappling survived with no issues and uncovered!
  • California laurel trimmed to stumps.  They look green but nothing is happening.
  • Pomegranate tree may be dead.  Will give it a week more before I trim way down.
  • Fig tree survived with a contractor bag cover.
  • Mountain laurel did well.
  • Hibiscus and roses survived with a bed sheet cover.
  • Iron plants took damage but survived.
  • Bamboo everything above ground looks dead but rhizomes survived and new sprouts are up (need to terminate those ASAP).
  • Mi piquin pepper plants I think are dead.
  • Rosemary bushes took damage but are alive.
  • yuccas survived with no damage at all.

Now we have severe weather and hail chances tonight.  Uncle!!

Edited by AntonioGG
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

1 month update?

• By the looks of the curbside stuff last week, all the sago palms in NW Austin are dead.
  •  

Now we have severe weather and hail chances tonight.  Uncle!!

My dead sago palms made me sad. dug mine out over the weekend

hail makes me happy

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

My dead sago palms made me sad.

I left one for dead several years ago and it eventually came back to life. I'm going to hold out hope for now. 

My live oaks that lost most of their leaves are sprouting new buds now. My Gem Magnolia branches have remained contorted, but overall the tree is looking fairly vibrant.

I don't bother covering my Hibiscus. Only have one, and I just replace it with a new one most years anyway.   

• Like 2

Wow, hard to believe it has been a month. My biggest concern is my big Mexican White Oak in the front. These seem to be amongst the more vulnerable of the oaks. I haven''t seen any signs of growth on mine nor any in the neighborhood.

From the below site, which is the most comprehensive I have seen.

Mexican White Oak: Although this tree is rated a Zone 7 tree, it has taken a “hit” in previous cold winters. This is one to “wait and see”, as the ultimate outcome may not be evident for weeks to months. We are hoping the leaves will shed and trees will leaf out in March as usual. Watch the bark for cracks. Longitudinal “frost cracks” can callus over if not too deep. We are crossing our fingers on this one.

https://backbonevalleynursery.com/after-the-freeze-2021/

• Like 3

Had a fairly large Rosemary that turned black, trimmed it to the stumps, waiting to see if it will make a comeback.  My Mountain Laurel looks rough, still clinging to dead leaves, hoping it makes it.  Trimmed my Sago back to the stump, I see life at the top.  Burr, Live, and Chinquapin Oaks look ok, so thats good.

• Like 2

My yards a mixed bag. 

• Grass is about a month behind. 
  • Big live oak is pushing out lots of new buds 
  • 3 smaller oaks are budding too! unknown. There seems to be a variety that is either completely hit or is just late to the party. 
  • Small century plants took a hit but after trimming frostbite its recovering well. 
  • My smallest crepe myrtle is budding in the middle, larger ones are MIA for now. 
  • Three big shrubs that I was hoping to replace eventually seemed to have jumped my timing and look completely dead. 
Edited by RedRider3141
smaller oaks edit
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

So many different type of oaks!  I am not sure what I have.  I think one is Spanish Oak and one may be a post oak and of course the live oaks.  Haven't seen them sprout yet.

Shouldn't be long. My Red Oak is showing only small buds so far but my Live Oaks are already sprouting small new leaves. Getting excited about seeing some greenery again!   

• Like 2

My little peach tree is doing awesome. (I'll try to remember to post a pic later)

Fig tree and artichoke (thanks Sluggo) look pretty good, too.

I've got either a red or spanish oak that looks exactly like Chuckt's above.

My live oaks show no signs. They battled oak wilt before I was there, so they are already weak. Fingers crossed because they are my favorites.

I haven't seen any life from any of my crepe myrtles.

Mountain Laurels are about 50/50. I was going to cut one of the big ones down to make room to punch a gate in the fence. Looks like Mother Nature decided which one for me. 

• Like 2

I'm not familiar with all species of Laurels but past experience with English laurels I had to cut it flush to the ground, drill holes in the stump and fill with roundup to have a hope of actually killing it. I had one that was bigger than my car cut back to a stump twice and it returned to size in under 10 years. 

1 hour ago, notyal said:

Mountain Laurels are about 50/50. I was going to cut one of the big ones down to make room to punch a gate in the fence. Looks like Mother Nature decided which one for me. 

6 hours ago, CrownKing said:

My Mountain Laurel looks rough, still clinging to dead leaves, hoping it makes it.  

17 hours ago, AntonioGG said:
  • California laurel trimmed to stumps.  They look green but nothing is happening.
  • Mountain laurel did well.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, notyal said:

I looked it up, got the full explanation, but still don't get it. It is a Berenstain Bears situation? 

No idea what the Berenstain Bears situation is.  Looked it up, came up with nothing.

Here's the Yanny or Laurel thing at Wikipedia, and the audio is there.  So I can confirm I have Laurel trees, not Yanny Trees!!  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yanny_or_Laurel

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

No idea what the Berenstain Bears situation is.  Looked it up, came up with nothing.

Here's the Yanny or Laurel thing at Wikipedia, and the audio is there.  So I can confirm I have Laurel trees, not Yanny Trees!!  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yanny_or_Laurel

That is trippy. I seem to have Yanny trees.

This is the Berenstein Bears thing. Truthfully, I always thought they were the Bearnstein Bears, so I must be living in a third dimension. 

(Thanks Seventeen Magazine. Never considered myself a "fangirl" but this was a well done video.)

48 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

other invasive species

My neighbors Bamboo is about 5' in diameter and 20' tall. During the storm it was bent in half and was touching the ground. 1-week after it looked like nothing had happened. Now a month out it has some dead in it but I'm sure it will survive... Glad it's across the street. Those things ignore fences. 

• Like 2

On 3/17/2021 at 9:53 AM, RedRider3141 said:

3 smaller oaks are budding too! unknown. There seems to be a variety that is either completely hit or is just late to the party. 

I might have spoke too soon. 2 out of 3 of my oaks are budding. One is not... It also has quite a few dead leaves still. Going to be a real shame because who ever planted them only spaced the 3 oaks 3' apart. The middle one is going to look real funny if I have to take one out. 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2021 at 11:30 AM, chuckt said:

It looks like our Mexican White Oak is showing signs of life.

File_000.thumb.jpeg.18afe33c23a3fe00c216d91d2fc4d2e8.jpeg

I'm still not seeing much on mine. They planted 10 or 12 along our neighborhood hike and bike trail that I have been watching. They are recovering at different speeds with a few not yet showing new growth and one well ahead of the rest. It covers my whole small front yard so if I lose it I will be gutted. Another even larger one wasn't doing anything yet either last time I looked, so i am not panicking just yet. 

• Like 1