IGNORED

Old iPods

TheX

Have a 2 gig mini that was given to us a decade ago that we used in my wifes old mini cooper. The mini cooper and my tacoma both had ipod interface with the factory radios but have no clue how to format that thing now.

IMG_20210214_124814765.jpg

Edited by ATXZJ
pic
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Have an old mini that was given to me that we used in my wifes old mini cooper. The mini cooper and my tacoma both had ipod interface with the factory radios but have no clue how to format that thing now.

Not possible from what I know of.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TheX said:

It's really sad that Apple had to cut off support like that. It's not like they had to do anything but just let it keep working.

Yeah but then people wouldn't need to buy the latest greatest iPod. I think the iPod will eventually be phased out altogether. Most people stream music now anyway.

Funny how people think Apple invented this this, but they stole the interface from Creative. In fact, they paid $100,000,000.00 to creative for it.

Apple pays $100m to settle Creative lawsuit over iPod menus

Things really aren't going Apple's way just at the moment. It's having to restate its earnings going back some time because there are queries about some of its stock options having been backdated; iPod sales fell quarter-on-quarter; and now, it's decided not to fight Creative Labs in the lawsuit that the latter brought alleging that the iPod's menu system infringed Creative's patent, filed a few months before the first iPod appeared.

Apple had originally aimed to fight fire with fire, launching a series of lawsuits against Creative in response to the first. However, Creative became increasingly inventive in the legal row, escalating it to the level where Apple might have been unable to import the product into the US. That, of course, might have affected sales ever so slightly.

Now, it's over, and Creative is $100m richer and gets some bragging rights. From Reuters:

Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said the agreement ends five lawsuits between the companies "and removes the uncertainty and distraction of prolonged litigation."

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TheX said:

Funny how people think Apple invented this this, but they stole the interface from Creative. In fact, they paid $100,000,000.00 to creative for it.

Apple pays $100m to settle Creative lawsuit over iPod menus

Things really aren't going Apple's way just at the moment. It's having to restate its earnings going back some time because there are queries about some of its stock options having been backdated; iPod sales fell quarter-on-quarter; and now, it's decided not to fight Creative Labs in the lawsuit that the latter brought alleging that the iPod's menu system infringed Creative's patent, filed a few months before the first iPod appeared.

Apple had originally aimed to fight fire with fire, launching a series of lawsuits against Creative in response to the first. However, Creative became increasingly inventive in the legal row, escalating it to the level where Apple might have been unable to import the product into the US. That, of course, might have affected sales ever so slightly.

Now, it's over, and Creative is $100m richer and gets some bragging rights. From Reuters:

Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said the agreement ends five lawsuits between the companies "and removes the uncertainty and distraction of prolonged litigation."

Still have a Creative Nomad.

1 hour ago, St.Bernardo said:

Still have a Creative Nomad.

So do I, somewhere.

Are there any hacks out there for iPods?

As far as support, the motivation to end support is not to force you to buy a new one.  From the HW perspective sometimes the components themselves are hard to get in case of service.  From the SW perspective, with every release of SW/FW you have to test with all the supported HW out there.  It becomes very time consuming and expensive to have to test every possible combination out there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chief said:

Apple phases out support on the older iPods. I had a nano that my computer stopped recognizing. I didn't realize that it was no longer supported and wiped it trying to change the music and that was the end of that one.

Hmmmm

IMG_6084.thumb.jpeg.e531c9e138bfa52db77f596fde4568f3.jpeg

Two nanos, a mini, a touch and a classic. Gonna plug them all in and see what still works, my guess is they all do. I know for sure the Nanos still work, plus the silver one, connected now, hand't been used in a year and the battery was still at 80%. The mini was a warranty replacement well after the factory warranty was depleted. I find that Apple generally does a better job with long term support than most others in the market.

[edit: yep, all still recognized by MacOS Big Sur]

Edited by AustinBike
  • Like 2