IGNORED

Power outage BS

mack_turtle

19 minutes ago, throet said:

This seems different from the one that came with our house that we bought in 2006. On ours the glass remains permanently closed except when we take it off for cleaning or to light the pilot. We have gas logs and the fake embers. Together they radiate an immense amount of heat that will warm up our entire living room. Even the mantle is made of a synthetic material that gets warm to the touch and radiates heat. Ours was designed to operate like this as we have no chimney - just a metal vent box on the back wall of our house. The pilot burns constantly with gas to the burner tube ignited with a regular light switch next to the fireplace.  

Gas fireplaces come in two configurations: vented and ventless. Vented gas logs produce carbon monoxide emissions so your fireplace must have a chimney or flue. Ventless logs do not put off these emissions so no chimney or flue is needed, and the heat is more likely to stay in your space.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Our house came with glass doors which I removed (so 80’s looking brass) and just have a screen there.  It also has a heatilator.  We never use the fireplace because it always seems to smoke out the house (yes I do check the flue is open.)

We use to do wood fires in the fireplace, but agree, no matter what you do the smoke comes out into the room. And then you have to clean it out. So we didn't use the fireplace for years until just recently with the purchase of the gas log thing. We have a heatilator too. It works well and helps justify running the gas log.

We have a fire pit in the backyard that we use a lot to get our real fire fix.

4 hours ago, The Tip said:

We use to do wood fires in the fireplace, but agree, no matter what you do the smoke comes out into the room. And then you have to clean it out. So we didn't use the fireplace for years until just recently with the purchase of the gas log thing. We have a heatilator too. It works well and helps justify running the gas log.

We have a fire pit in the backyard that we use a lot to get our real fire fix.

It's a PITA for sure but been enjoying burning some mesquite the last week. Sexy coalbed for the win!

IMG_20191210_160025047.jpg

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 3

With a gas water heater not only did we not lose water, we didn't lose hot water. That is in question now though. Our water pressure has dramatically dropped down to just a trickle out of all faucets. I'm still dripping all the faucets, but now I'm collecting all the drippings...just in case.

But dang I'd love to have rolling blackouts. Except that 1 teaser hour Monday night, we're at 50 hours without power. My jeep has an AC plug that powers even with the engine off. I have an extension cord running from the Jeep to the living room.It's just enough power small electronics and very small appliances like my coffee grinder (but not my Kurig). I just hit the remote start every few hours just to be sure I'm not taxing the battery too hard. 

• Like 2

The bad news is that we're putting a serious dent in our whisky collection. And the roads are even worse after last night's freezing rain. The seriously bad news is that we may have a frozen pipe in our master bath. None of them are exposed so we won't know until we have property damage. 

• Sad 2

15 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

We saw this on the news. Our initial reaction was, "that's just wrong." But then we thought that the guy that knows how to turn them off would probably be taking his life in his hands to drive in to turn them off. So a dilemma.

Our power just came back on after six hours off. Our water pressure is decreasing. Does it eventually totally stop, or just go real slowly? Does anyone have NO water at all coming out?

• Like 1

I'm having a hard time believing that a cutting edge facility in one of the tech centers of the us requires some guy to drive over and flip a switch. 

The BS coming from our "leaders" about their complete mismanagement of this crisis is laughable.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

I'm having a hard time believing that a cutting edge facility in one of the tech centers of the us requires some guy to drive over and flip a switch. 

I turned off all my lab equipment I could remotely. There is some stuff I would have to drive in to power off.  Keep in mind the problem with hackers.  There's a real concern with making everything "remoteable".  Now...stadium lights, I'm not sure why they couldn't remote those on/off.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, The Tip said:

Does anyone have NO water at all coming out?

Our water is effectively off as of a couple hours ago. We get drips that come and go, but that's it. Interestingly the only consistent dripping faucets are the ones that I previously thought might be frozen. I also managed to collect about 12 gallons of water, so we should be okay in that regard for a few days. 

• Like 1

We had no power most of Monday along with no water. The power has been intermittent. I thought I had a frozen line also. I thawed the pipes coming into the garage enough to get the hose bib working. Did the 5 gal bucket brigade and filled my bathtub with about fifty gallons to wash dishes and flush toilets and filled 8 gallon jugs for drinking. I thought I had a frozen pipe but when my water came back on it was full flow I was thinking it would start as a trickle until the line cleared of any ice kinda strange but at least I have water again.

• Like 2

We escaped to a house in Circle C last night to sleep in a warm house. They have not lost power. Had to portage two dogs and a cat .

Got word that power came back on this morning so we skidded back home. Roads were slushy and bumpy. Some low hanging braches and some traffic signals were off. The HEB. on Escarpment is open somehow.

We have power, gas, and very low water pressure. Most of SW Austin has a boil water notice due to the low pressure.

Sealed off the rooms in the house except livingroom and one bathroom to conserve energy. Saved a bunch of water in the tub so we can flush.

• Like 2