IGNORED

Biking after Covid

Not a lot of data out there. Found this GMBN video very helpful, basically they recommend 10 days of rest after symptoms are gone.

I am currently recovering from a mild case, and have a growing concern that my lungs will never be the same. i breezed through the illness, so i assumed a full recovery. Now 4 days after symptoms are gone, i can still feel a shortness of breathe lingering. of course, this freezing, dry climate is not helping the situation.

anyone else have experience after a mild case? or recommendations on rest?

• Like 3

My wife and I both had it, thanks to her job. We both had mild cases mine was a bit worse than hers. It was a full two weeks to feel ok but it was three weeks for full recovery for us. We didn't have any lung issues no cough or fever. Worst of it for me was vertigo. so for us three weeks was back to normal.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, TAF said:

What is her job, out of interest?

She works in a rehabilitation hospital. She wears a mask all the time while at work. She entered a patients room that had not been diagnosed with Covid until after her encounter with that patient. When a patient is admitted with Covid they are isolated and nobody but the nurses can enter the room. Unfortunately this patient wasn't diagnosed until after admission.The hospital protocol for the workers is that they have their temperature taken twice a day. Unreliable at best, neither my wife or I had a fever at any time while we had it.

On a side note my two daughters had it with no symptoms. My oldest daughter found out after a friend was in contact with someone who had Covid so they both went to get tested, the friend was negative and my daughter was positive.

I will also say this and please don't take this as a statement to diminish the virus it's not fun, but the symptoms I had were more like a mild flu. I've had worse cases of the flu than this was. I had chills and body aches especially anywhere that I have arthritis it would just throb. Acetaminophen worked well for relieving the aches. Had a couple of nights with severe night sweats, but the worst was vertigo. The vertigo would start about a half an hour after waking up and last until mid afternoon. The anxiety of not knowing if it would get worse was probably also one of the worst things mentally to deal with. It took me fifteen days to be fully ok but another week to feel like I did before getting it so total three weeks.

I consider myself very fortunate that it wasn't that bad due to the fact that I have some underlying conditions that could have made this much worse asthma being one of them.

Stay safe and do what you can to avoid getting it. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any set in stone symptoms or outcomes if you get it.

• Like 4

My stepson works in a hospital in southern California. He passed all of the body temp screenings, but a Covid test came back positive. He had no idea he had it. My FIL lives with him and got pretty sick. He's recovered and has no lingering effects. I think the number of people that have had it is a LOT higher than anyone knows.

• Like 4

I had the covid in early Sep. Diagnosed/tested pos on Labor Day (Mon). Minor symptoms, low temp and mild cold-like), for a few days. Went for short ride that Sat in mid-/upper-90s and my temp got over 100, then normal that evening.  Soooo Sun I went to LGT as I was freaking about losing fitness as we approached EB.  LGT was a hot mess and my fever came on with a vengeance (~103) and persisted for several days. I wore a mask that ride.  By Sat temp was gone.  Back physically at work (had worked at home mostly throughout) the next Mon, 2 weeks from onset. 

Waited another week before any exercise and then lightly after that.  Built back slowly.  Never felt any lingering symptoms or lung issues, but seemed drained of fitness after a few weeks off.  Probably took another 1 - 1-1/2 mos to feel sorta fit again.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for sharing your experience.

i am now 8 days post symptoms. will wait two more days before trying to ride. i was outside most of the afternoon cutting limbs. my heartrate seems to shoot up easily; a fluttery feeling. not something i'm used to. Still kind of tired, want too sleep more than typical. i am going to ease back into riding. i'm not in a rush, and don't want to risk stressing my systems too much.

this is definitely an atypical recovery for me. after a cold, i'm usually out running or biking the next day trying to shake it. 

• Like 3

Yeah, that is the problem, the "hangover" can last weeks, or months. We don't have enough data on this but the theory is that we could even add "years" to that statement.

This is why I am so paranoid and wear a bandana when I ride or even walk the dog, even though I am alone and never near anyone else. Small price to pay to ensure that I can ride well into the future. I am selfish that way, it is all about me and ensuring that I can keep riding in the future.

We have 2 different friends that got it and had to learn how to walk again. Let that one sink in for a moment. How will your riding be impacted if you can't even walk?

Glad you are on the mend and I hope that you get through this thing unscathed in the long run. I'd like to offer advice but I'm not a doctor nor an expert, so stay in touch with those folks.

• Like 1