IGNORED

Hill of Life Downhill Feb. 28

mack_turtle

43 minutes ago, TAF said:

I must admit I am disappointed, even more so now that Mom has gotten involved. I was planning to host a single speed HOL climbing challenge that day, with of course a couple of kegs of Jelly for the winners.

As that is a single speed event, I assume there will be kegs strategically placed on the hill and shots required before advancing past?

3 minutes ago, TheX said:

Part of me loves kids with a creative, rebellious streak. 

I've participated in many unsanctioned rides and "races" but there's a smart way to do such things, and a dumb way. the singlespeeders do a lot of these things, but they plan them in places where no one is going to notice or care that a group of riders are "racing" for free beer and t-shirts. I don't think Big Southie or SATN Social had official permission, but they didn't cause problems that I heard of. it just looked like a lot of people were out riding the trail. HOL is just the WRONG place to do that. I can think of a few places where that might work, and HOL is the worst place I can imagine.

• Like 2

Totally agree on the implications, but remember what your decision making capacity was at 15.

I was up to NOTHING good at that age. We would have relentlessly tormented the kind of kids that would have organized a mtb race. 

If it were adults putting together the HOL race then yeah they know better and need to be cucked.  Kinda like the slaughter event.

Edited by ATXZJ

56 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I don't think Big Southie or SATN Social had official permission, but they didn't cause problems that I heard of. it just looked like a lot of people were out riding the trail.

But when you start to charge an entry fee it changes the dynamics of the event.

"it just looked like a lot of people were out riding the trail."  That's exactly what those events were.

What could be done if 30 guys got together and said, "hey, let's go downhill the HOL on Saturday?"

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

I've participated in many unsanctioned rides and "races" but there's a smart way to do such things, and a dumb way. the singlespeeders do a lot of these things, but they plan them in places where no one is going to notice or care that a group of riders are "racing" for free beer and t-shirts. I don't think Big Southie or SATN Social had official permission, but they didn't cause problems that I heard of. it just looked like a lot of people were out riding the trail. HOL is just the WRONG place to do that. I can think of a few places where that might work, and HOL is the worst place I can imagine.

I definitely think it was a BAD idea. *Part of me* is not the public facing me.

Feels like someone should have a conversation with BikeReg about the fact that this kid is only 15 and had planned an unsanctioned (and dangerous) event using their tool. They should have a little visibility so that this kinda thing does not happen again. Seems like there is some liability on their end if something happened.

My 2 cents.

40 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Feels like someone should have a conversation with BikeReg about the fact that this kid is only 15 and had planned an unsanctioned (and dangerous) event using their tool. They should have a little visibility so that this kinda thing does not happen again. Seems like there is some liability on their end if something happened.

My 2 cents.

This is still up on BikeReg.

image.thumb.png.1208e61af63a04a6fce10baca3eeb7fe.png

6 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Fair play

You and my wife are cut from the same mold👍

Yep, my wife was the girl who carried her Bible in her backpack at school....and I was the guy who'd make fun of her for doing so.  Yet look where we are at now!....21 yrs of strong marriage this April.

5 hours ago, TheX said:

I definitely think it was a BAD idea. *Part of me* is not the public facing me.

Oh, I'm 100% is this same camp too.  As a seasoned adult I can see so much idiocy in this idea.  But as a dad with 3 sons, I sooooo think we need kids nowadays to be thinking big, thinking outside the box and willing to take chances (OFF THE COUCH, AWAY FROM THE XBOX)!

Cheers,
CJB

• Like 2

21 hours ago, TAF said:

Hardly - I don’t think “enduro” and “uphill challenge” are ever likely to be found in the same sentence, let alone the same event.

LMAO... you obviously have no idea. 

the 1st cat Mtn invitational enduro I held we did 8 stages, 1 day, and it was 4400’ vertical ascending/descending over 17 miles, all pedal power. Name any other race in Texas with those kind of numbers... then add gnar factor.

yes there are PLENTY of poser ass pot-belled-big-travel-bike-type “enduro” brahs that wanna ride spider mountain every weekend but don’t fooL yourself and believe that enduro events aren’t just as challenging as any event you’ve ever attended... 

you still need to come ride cat with your crew ;) 

1 hour ago, Seths Pool said:

LMAO... you obviously have no idea. 

the 1st cat Mtn invitational enduro I held we did 8 stages, 1 day, and it was 4400’ vertical ascending/descending over 17 miles, all pedal power. Name any other race in Texas with those kind of numbers... then add gnar factor.

yes there are PLENTY of poser ass pot-belled-big-travel-bike-type “enduro” brahs that wanna ride spider mountain every weekend but don’t fooL yourself and believe that enduro events aren’t just as challenging as any event you’ve ever attended... 

you still need to come ride cat with your crew 😉

Can confirm cat has a brutal amount of climbing including some hike a bike getting back to the top. 

Perfect proving ground for anyone considering getting into enduro racing. Was humbling.

23 hours ago, TAF said:

Hardly - I don’t think “enduro” and “uphill challenge” are ever likely to be found in the same sentence, let alone the same event.

I got to agree with Seth, I’m a very casual racer and am happy to race anything with 2 wheels. I’ve done 24 hr race (2 man team and 4 man, I’m not a sadist), and a 100 mile mtb race before and it maybe that this is the most recent experience (the pain your in now is always more than the pain you were in, in the past), but the o’rock epic enduro is currently in my memory as the most grueling race I’ve ever done! Just my 2 cents.

This thread/story is pure gold. 

I rarely get to the HoL but I’ve made it a goal of mine before I move in 5 years to ride it up cleanly. My Buddy can do it but it WRECKS him and he’s much faster/fitter than I am. I may not ever do it, but damn. If I can’t do that, I won’t make the CO climbs I’m hoping to move close to.