IGNORED

Hill of Life Downhill Feb. 28

mack_turtle

18 minutes ago, Morealice said:

I rarely get to the HoL but I’ve made it a goal of mine before I move in 5 years to ride it up cleanly.

I think I've only made 4 total runs at HOL. During last year's EB I dabbed something loose and stupid at the very bottom...before it even gets hard. And then I proceeded to clean the whole thing. So maybe next time. 

I think it's easier than no-dabbing DoubleDown...which I've probably made 50 or more runs at it, with a couple of 1-dab efforts being my best so far.

Edited by Barry
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Barry said:

I think I've only made 4 total runs at HOL. During last year's EB I dabbed something loose and stupid at the very bottom...before it even gets hard. And then I proceeded to clean the whole thing. So maybe next time. 

I think it's easier than no-dabbing DoubleDown...which I've probably made 50 or more runs at it, with a couple of 1-dab efforts being my best so far.

Yeah I think the major difference between you and me is purely fitness. I made it however far on HoL and got dizzy and felt like I should get off the bike. Walked the middle third and then remounted at that left turn platform area and finished, but man. That’s a grind when all you’re used to is Brushy length climbs with an occasional wild hair cx road ride to Big View and City Park. 

I rode Deception cleanly with one dab on a stupid log... like you said, not even hard. But that was an out and back before everything else was built. The trail was WAY easier back then, but still would have been a good ride nonetheless. 

But the HoL to me, right now, seems impossible. It’s gonna take some real big boy work. 

Edited by Morealice

11 hours ago, Seths Pool said:

LMAO... you obviously have no idea. 

the 1st cat Mtn invitational enduro I held we did 8 stages, 1 day, and it was 4400’ vertical ascending/descending over 17 miles, all pedal power. Name any other race in Texas with those kind of numbers... then add gnar factor.

yes there are PLENTY of poser ass pot-belled-big-travel-bike-type “enduro” brahs that wanna ride spider mountain every weekend but don’t fooL yourself and believe that enduro events aren’t just as challenging as any event you’ve ever attended... 

you still need to come ride cat with your crew 😉

Oh, I know you can't lump all downhill riders into the same bucket. My experience in the Hill Country was a negative one, with a perfectly good cross-country loop largely ruined due to poor land management and a lack of trail construction oversight.  Sag wagons buzzing around hauling enduro-brahs up the slightest of inclines out there. I know they're not all like that. I'm afraid you still won't find me at Cat Mtn -- I like to keep both wheels on the ground! I will say, I took my wife to McGazzaFest in Queenstown, and now she wants me to take her to Spider Mtn 🙂 So I will be out there one of these spring days.

It was my understanding that “Enduro” is basically a down hill race that requires the participants to ride their bikes back up to the next downhill stage. The climbs are not timed, but can be expected to be quite strenuous since you just sent it all the way down the hill/mountain you are having climb.

...otherwise known as a mountain bike ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Teamsloan said:

It was my understanding that “Enduro” is basically a down hill race that requires the participants to ride their bikes back up to the next downhill stage. The climbs are not timed, but can be expected to be quite strenuous since you just sent it all the way down the hill/mountain you are having climb.

...otherwise known as a mountain bike ride.

That's exactly how I understand it.

• Like 1

That's exactly how I understand it.

I mean, I’m not on any race team or anything, but I was pretty sure I was correct. :P

…I have done HOL repeats in the past. The hikers give you plenty of patronizing feel-good comments on the way up. Strangely, not as many comments on the way down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/27/2021 at 4:37 AM, TAF said:

Oh, I know you can't lump all downhill riders into the same bucket. My experience in the Hill Country was a negative one, with a perfectly good cross-country loop largely ruined due to poor land management and a lack of trail construction oversight.  Sag wagons buzzing around hauling enduro-brahs up the slightest of inclines out there. I know they're not all like that. I'm afraid you still won't find me at Cat Mtn -- I like to keep both wheels on the ground! I will say, I took my wife to McGazzaFest in Queenstown, and now she wants me to take her to Spider Mtn 🙂 So I will be out there one of these spring days.

haha oh I wasnt going to encourage you to jump off anything, I just wanted to see how many times you could crank up to the top 🙂