IGNORED

bike computer recommendations

I have a Garmin GPS watch but that's just not cutting it for navigation. I am not racing but something with better at-a-glance maps to find my way out of a jam or follow a predetermined map would be nice. even better if it has an extra-long battery life. what's under $300? I am looking at the Garmin Edge 520 (530?) and the Wahoo Element Bolt.

(no, I'm not one of those people who wants to strap a damn phone to my bike!)

Edited by mack_turtle

Both the 530 (you mention 520 but that is the previous version) and element bolt are not going to be amazing for navigation. 

I have a 520 and you can certainly load up a turn by turn GPX file and use it to navigate but that’s about it. The lack of a touch screen doesn’t give you a lot of control. The map you see on the device is your current location at a scale of the devices choosing. 

If you were ever in a situation where you wanted to get back to your car using the best route, you’d be SOL as the 520 can’t do that on the fly. 

it sounds like the 830 is going to be a better device for you. The touch screen allows you to pan around the map and you can even create adhoc routes while out on the trail. 

Edited by WLemke

yeah, must be the 530.  I was reading some older reviews that compared the Bolt to the 520. knowing that the 530 is one of my options makes a lot more sense.

I do NOT want to futz around with a touch screen with gloves on. I want big, fat, tactile buttons.

a line on a screen is fine for most of my needs. it's a PITA on my watch because the map is on my wrist. I always end up fumbling my phone out of a pocket to get a real map when I get lost and I want to skip that step as much as possible.

I don't expect perfect navigation on such a small device at my budget. everything has limits when you're looking at twisty trails and riding under a tree canopy anyhow. but it looks like both the 520/530 and the Bolt show you some pretty detailed maps if you want them. did I miss something about that capability? the Bolt has a monochrome display, which is fine, and appears to have a longer battery life. the Bolt is programmable through a smartphone interface that sounds nifty.

I can only speak to my 520 but the map it does display gives enough details to see where you are and upcoming turns. With a turn by turn GPX file loaded, it alerts you when you’re getting close to your turn and even adjusts the scale for better granularity. Battery life is great on the 520 as well and I would assume it is the same or better on the 530. In the two EBs I’ve rode in, I had about 25% battery left. 

One thing about the Garmin devices is the stock map sucks and is basically useless. I deleted it and downloaded a much better map from OpenStreetMap. There is a guy named “DC rainmaker”, who has a good tutorial on getting the OpenStreetMap onto your device. 

If the bolt can be programmed through your phone, that is a huge plus. With my 520, I have to load all my routes through my computer. 

• Like 1

yeah, I've been reading DC Rainmaker's reviews whenever I start asking questions like this. his page is incredible, but it's so exhaustive that sometimes I just want someone to say, "buy this."

I am intrigued with map options on these products. sounds like I have to jump through some hoops to get useful maps on the Garmin. that may or may not be worth it for Garmin's expertise.

edit: now that I am looking at the 530, it looks like they added a lot of the features that were rather unique to the Wahoo product.

Edited by mack_turtle

I do lots of turn-by-turn navigation with the 520.  My biggest complain has been addressed with newer firmware.  Now I can easily override auto/zoom from the page map, instead of having to go through a bunch of menu options.  It makes a difference whose map you use.  Keep the points to a minimum but make sure you have some at turns.

Battery life is OK but make sure if you're in a very long ride to turn off Bluetooth.  It does drain the battery faster, especially if you're doing navigation.

Above the 520 is my 705 for one main reason:  the little joystick.

Thanks for the note on OpenStreetMap @WLemke, I'll have to check that out.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, taco_junkie said:

Ditched my Garmin 500 for the Wahoo Element years ago when that was new. I know things have moved on in tech levels but I liked the Wahoo a lot. It uploads automatically when I am done riding and I don't have to have a Garmin account that want's to be my BFF.

from what i've read, that last bit is my main concern. the Wahoo interface sounds easier to manage, but I've been using the Garmin "ecosystem" for several years. if the Wahoo will seamlessly integrate with that, it would be fine. otherwise, I'd rather stick with Garmin products.

On 3/3/2021 at 10:39 AM, mack_turtle said:

from what i've read, that last bit is my main concern. the Wahoo interface sounds easier to manage, but I've been using the Garmin "ecosystem" for several years. if the Wahoo will seamlessly integrate with that, it would be fine. otherwise, I'd rather stick with Garmin products.

This is the ultimate goal of all hardware/software companies.  Get you in the ecosystem and then it's really hard to break free.  I feel this pain.

• Like 1