IGNORED

Forget Darn Tough, how about SNAKE PROOF!

Looking through the SuperFabric page, they don't mention puncture resistance, but rather slash resistance.  In the FAQs they say regular thread and needled are not recommended, but industrial thread and needles are recommended.  So is a snake fang closer to an industrial needle or a regular needle?

Almost 25 years on the austin trails, 2 rattlers, 2-3 copperheads, and a bunch of coral snakes. Never even has a close call.  Rattlers, especially, tend to make their presence known. Seems like a lot of work for something that rarely happens. Plus, the human brain is wired to watch for snakes, learned that cool fact about a year ago, yay evolution!

• Like 1

Loose clothing is a better choice to help prevent snake bites. If a snake strikes at loose clothing like your jeans pant leg the fangs most times will get hung up in the fabric. With tight clothing it's much easier for a snake bite to penetrate. 

• Like 1

All the yrs cycling Tx trails and the only real close call was 2yrs ago At Lake Georgetown. We stopped to watch a Rattler in the middle of the trail, and I sorta pushed the front of my bike towards it to get it to move and damn if that guy tried to bite my front tire! Other than that, they mostly leave humans alone IMO. 

17 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Almost 25 years on the austin trails, 2 rattlers, 2-3 copperheads, and a bunch of coral snakes. Never even has a close call.  Rattlers, especially, tend to make their presence known. Seems like a lot of work for something that rarely happens. Plus, the human brain is wired to watch for snakes, learned that cool fact about a year ago, yay evolution!

unknown years but at least 10 rattlers, 1 copperhead and who knows how many garter snakes.

Ive had 2 rattlers get agressive, one chased me for 50' at least.

I have yet to encounter a venomous snake while riding Austin trails, I know it's a very real possibility. I did once encounter a rattler while on a moto ride in Cave Creek, AZ. The lead rider must have spooked/angered him because I turned the corner and there he was coiled and ready. I gassed it right passed him and he went for my bike. I felt him glance off my boot as I rode past. Moto-X boots are almost 1/4" of hard plastic and leather so there was no risk. 

If the situation was on MTBs, I doubt it would have played out the same because of the speeds involved. I probably would have had more time to see/stop before passing him. 

1 hour ago, Taco Man said:

unknown years but at least 10 rattlers, 1 copperhead and who knows how many garter snakes.

Hmm, didn't realize they would chase you. How fast can they go?

5 hours ago, Taco Man said:

I had a copperhead in your neighborhood. Almost stepped on it. 

The only reason one of my 2 rattlers got aggressive was because shaggy decided to poke it with a stick. Not recommended.

On 3/2/2021 at 1:56 PM, CBaron said:

Seems like a good time/place for my Rattlesnake on Deception video.  Good ol' Mittens!  This may have been my 1st or 2nd ride ever at Deception.  It was May of 15'.

That right there scares me. I WOULD have went right over him. I ride w/o Rx glasses and would most likely never have noticed until my tire was rolling right over him.

• Like 1