IGNORED

Need help buying first mountain bike

Lacch

4 minutes ago, WLemke said:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/4076595042385510/

A bit over your price range at $1,500. Pre-COVID I think this bike could be had for right around $1,100 but would probably be valued at around $1,200-$1,300 today. May be a good option for you if you can up your budget a little or a willing to haggle the seller into the ground.

Cons:
2x
External cable routing is a mess on this bike
Slightly outdated geometry
Bottle mount under the down tube

Pros:
DVO diamond fork is a full chefs kiss
Dropper post
Solid groupset

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a good find. It is a rear thru axle, so may require an adapter to pull the trailer. On the other hand, if the OP is serious about giving MTBing a good honest try, this will be a more enjoyable experience right away over a used or entry level hardtail. Keep pulling the trailer with that cruiser. 

And now is when the new rider learns the N+1 rule. You need one bike for trails and one bike for the trailer. (and a single speed, and an enduro rig, and a gravel grinder, and...........)

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, WLemke said:

A bit over your price range at $1,500. Pre-COVID I think this bike could be had for right around $1,100 but would probably be valued at around $1,200-$1,300 today. May be a good option for you if you can up your budget a little or a willing to haggle the seller into the ground.

Cons:
2x

Pros:
Dropper post
Solid groupset

interesting...

I made a low offer, making sure the owner knew I wasn't trying to insult.... why not.

Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WLemke said:

Cons:
2x

Pros:
Dropper post
Solid groupset

Thats actually a pretty good deal. has my vote

3 minutes ago, Lacch said:

Nice. Looks clean. It’s not going to be a bike that will scale, no pun intended, with you as your skill increases but will be a good beginner bike to get a taste of the sport and will hold up to the abuse of trail riding. 

I find it strange that some of the components in the picture don’t match up to the description. For example, it has an older XT derailleur but is listed with a deore. The fork is a low end Rockshox air fox but the description lists a suntour XCR. Could be upgrades done to the bike and the seller simply copy and pasted the base specs off Scott’s website. 

Probably worth about $700-$750 normally. I’d say $800-$900 would be a decent deal considering the market. I personally wouldn’t pay over $900 though. 

1 hour ago, Lacch said:

I've seen a lot of posting by this seller (big dumb red bow). Most postings seem like overpriced junk with inaccurate descriptions. I don't have any personal experience dealing with them, but I would be cautious dealing with any bike flipper like this. 

6 minutes ago, TheX said:

Everything I can find says that it has been Deore XT since '83. Am I missing something?

image.png.fdfd807606d0d91484cd0d676fa799a7.png

Specs list an RD-M592 which is just a regular ole deore. 

the picture of the bike has a deore XT derailleur. 

either way, both are non-clutched so they will function more or less the same. Just a discrepancy I noticed between the photo and listed specs. 

Edited by WLemke

3 minutes ago, WLemke said:

Specs list an RD-M592 which is just a regular ole deore. 

the picture of the bike has a deore XT derailleur. 

either way, both are non-clutched so they will function more or less the same. Just a discrepancy I noticed between the photo and listed specs. 

OHHH, my bad. Sorry.

27 minutes ago, notyal said:

I've seen a lot of posting by this seller (big dumb red bow). Most postings seem like overpriced junk with inaccurate descriptions. I don't have any personal experience dealing with them, but I would be cautious dealing with any bike flipper like this. 

great advice.. thanks man.

found one more...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3874899125904992/?referralSurface=messenger_lightspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner

seller confirmed that its a Large frame, waiting for them to confirm the year.

• Like 1

I took @AntonioGG's advice and hit the trails with a cruiser yesterday just for fun. My wife has a decent cruiser with beefy tires, so it did "ok" on the roller trails. (Walnut Creek - Log loop, for example) This made me realize that my next big consideration is gear.

Once I finally get a a bike, what sort of must-have gear should I be considering?

Helmet?

Phone mount?

water bottle holder?

Not looking to go gear crazy, but need to get an idea of the basics and factor that into the budget.

Thanks again to all of you for your advice and feedback!!! 

Edited by Lacch
  • Like 1

Definitely a helmet.  Skip the phone mount.  I find that they don't hold up well on trails (maybe someone will disagree).  a bike shop will throw a cage in as part of the deal.  Maybe a used bike seller could do the same.  You'll need something to securely carry phone, keys, ID (I always carry minimum some cash drivers license and health insurance ID) spares (tube, inflation method, chain master link).  A saddle bag, a jersey with bad pockets, both.

• Like 1

If i read what's going on in this thread, stop worrying about how you can pull a trailer. use that old beach cruiser to pull the trailer around. get a mountain bike for riding trails.

a few people do this, but I am anti-phone mount, especially on trails. use the GPS in your phone or smart watch if you want to track your rides, but putting the phone on your handlebar means you have an expensive, bulky, battery-eating device someplace that you don't need it for most recreational riding. there are some really nice phone mounts on the market, but it seems like an unnecessary risk unless you need CONSTANT access to something on your phone. I just tuck mine into my pocket, hip back, or backpack, whichever is available to me depending on the ride. additionally, mounting a phone on your bike is the fashion equivalent of tucking your oversized t-shirt into your khaki cargo shorts above your knee-high white gym socks with yellow and blue stripes at the top and white Reeboks. I know you're a dad, but you don't want to be that kind of dad, right? no apologies to those who do these things, but y'all are a bunch of dweebs. Just don't do it.

if you find yourself riding a LOT and exploring new places, you might want a bike computer with mapping help. I just bought a Wahoo Bolt ($230) for that purpose, but I've been mountain biking for over a decade without one. you're not going to get truly lost in Walnut, but it could be useful if you start riding new and different places all the time.

water bottle holder(s) and/ or a hydration pack (Camelback, Osprey, Costco usually sells cheap ones that work) is essential for all but the shortest rides in fair weather. Texas is hot and you don't want to be dragged out of the woods by a rescue crew because you passed out and ran face-first into a tree due to dehydration.

a small bicycle-specific multi-tool and stuff to fix a flat tire is a good idea.

protection: helmet is a must. don't be that guy. try a few on and buy one that fits the shape of your head. they don't all fit the same. I can't wear Bell hemets but Giro fits me fine. everyone's skull is a little different.

most people like gloves—full-finger mtb gloves are great, but many people find convenient, cheap work gloves like Mechanix to work well.

eye protection—if you need RX glasses for riding, your regular glasses will do. if not, I still recommend some clear safety glasses or some sort to keep debris out of your eyeballs. some people like tinted glasses, but I don't due to the constantly changing shadows in the trails under trees and creek under-passes.

whatever you do, there's an open invitation to visit my garage to discuss fitting and adjustments/ maintenance. DM me if interested, especially if you buy a used bike and want it inspected.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 2

The three things that are required IMHO are,

1. Helmet - one that fits right

2. Gloves - full finger only, again IMHO

3. Eye protection - for me, that includes UV protection

Depending on where I ride, various pads are also a requirement, along with a full-face helmet. Gear is a choice, but *for me* proper gear is a requirement.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lacch said:

great advice.. thanks man.

found one more...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3874899125904992/?referralSurface=messenger_lightspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner

seller confirmed that its a Large frame, waiting for them to confirm the year.

That'd be okay for $600. I'd guess 2018-19

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

If i read what's going on in this thread, stop worrying about how you can pull a trailer. use that old beach cruiser to pull the trailer around. get a mountain bike for riding trails.

whatever you do, there's an open invitation to visit my garage to discuss fitting and adjustments/ maintenance. DM me if interested, especially if you buy a used bike and want it inspected.

X2 on this one

i have a metric shit ton of gear that I no longer use that'd I'd be willing to give someone making a concerted effort to get into mountain biking. 

Also, in this market if something comes along thats worth buying but 300-500 over what you planned, just buy it. You're in a narrow spot wanting to test ride bikes vs ordering online. Probably bought the last 15-16 bikes online with no test ride.  The current frame I'm building up for my wife had 20mm more travel over what I planned for, forcing me to buy a longer fork when I already had a 160mm one in perfect condition. It has snowballed from there but in the end beggars cant be choosers, will be fun and we'll get our money back one way or the next.

Sometimes it's just more productive to dive into the deep end

P.S. 

100% worth the drive to Htown

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/255243449613604/?ref=search&referral_code=marketplace_search

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

The Specialized 29er sold in under 15hrs. At least new listings seem to be popping up daily. refresh, refresh, refresh... 

I looked through my garage for old gear... dug up an old skate helmet and my wife's old jogging pack+bladder.

I don't know what a bad fall on a trail looks like, but I'm guessing this helmet won't do much to protect me.

IMG_1395.thumb.jpg.78f529db51c0f354fa0ce5a7d84cc2e1.jpg

Thanks again for all of the generous offers!

I'll keep reaching back out with any new listings I come across.

What you have there is an uncomfortable hat, not a helmet. I take a generous position on "is this helmet too old?" but that thing is trash.

I don't recommend buying a used helmet. Get one from someplace where you can try it on or easily return it if it does not fit.

$50–100 should easily buy a decent helmet. Your skull and brain are worth it.

That Osprey pack looks terrific for your needs.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 2

$50–100 should easily buy a decent helmet. Your skull and brain are worth it.

If you listen to nothing else, listen to this. You NEED a helmet more than you need a mountain bike. Even riding that cruiser without a helmet is a bad idea. You have exactly one brain and it’s super easy to scramble it beyond repair if you come off that bike wrong.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This has been a big wakeup call...

My wife and I have been riding up and down the paved trails with our kids in tow in the trailer (at a fairly fast pace sometimes), no helmets. I know the risk isn't as big as when you're riding a trail, but I realized that I need to drop the 80s mentality that I grew up with and make sure everyone is always wearing a helmet. (including the kids when I have them in the trailer) 

Everyone already has a modern helmet (except me) but they're not doing anyone any good sitting in the garage.

I owe you guys big for this advice. seriously. My entire family thanks you.

Edited by Lacch
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

first impression is that's a small or medium frame. you're looking for something bigger, right?

ya, he just responded, its a M/L.

57 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

ATX Bikes has these in stock for $650. I might just break down and get one... 

Edited by Lacch