IGNORED

Need help buying first mountain bike

Lacch

On 3/13/2021 at 7:48 AM, Lacch said:

This has been a big wakeup call...

My wife and I have been riding up and down the paved trails with our kids in tow in the trailer (at a fairly fast pace sometimes), no helmets. I know the risk isn't as big as when you're riding a trail, but I realized that I need to drop the 80s mentality that I grew up with and make sure everyone is always wearing a helmet. (including the kids when I have them in the trailer) 

Everyone already has a modern helmet (except me) but they're not doing anyone any good sitting in the garage.

I owe you guys big for this advice. seriously. My entire family thanks you.

I saw a woman on an e-bike (Rad wagon I think) at a stoplight yesterday with a kid on the back. The light changed and she started to pedal but because of the weight, the kid on the back, and the incline of the street, she fell over. Luckily they both had a helmet on, but the kid was screaming. Someone stopped to help her so I, not fully vaccinated, did not have to stop and help. 

Helmets are essential.

this probably goes without saying, but helmets don't make you invincible. I advocate for wearing one every time you get on a bicycle, but the way the media portrays bicycle accidents, you'd think that a helmet is a magic amulet. have you ever read about a bicycle accident and found that the journalist failed to tell readers whether the rider was helmeted or not? never! it's a convenient way for the public to assign blame: if the rider was not wearing a helmet, it's the rider's fault if they died. that standard is not applied to drivers seatbelts, working airbags, worn tires, etc.

I think this condom metaphor is worth pursuing.

also like a condom, if you find an old one lying around, it's not wise to use it for protection.

unlike a condom, it's not a bad idea to get a used one from someone you trust if you know it's never been used in a crash. I don't care how much you trust your friends, it's not a good idea to take used condoms from anyone.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Haha 4

ok... I gotta pull the trigger on something asap... my 20yr old cruiser just doesn't feel safe for me or the kids. also, being single gear makes it a horrible ride up these hills with a trailer.

ATX Bikes still has a Large 2021 Talon 2 for ~$650, I know you guys aren't the biggest fans of this bike, but as someone said "I just need to get my feet wet".

Its time. new bike day!!!! (+helmet!)

Edited by Lacch
  • Like 6

good choice. nothing about that bike is going to hold you back from ripping at Walnut for at least a year. the only personal touch you'll want to put on it is some pedals that feel grippy and confident under your feet and the saddle. you might like the saddle, and you might hate it. it takes a while to get used to any saddle, so give it a try for a dozen rides or so.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 2

Just picked it up!

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback, advice and kind offers. I'll need some time to build up my stamina and skills, but I hope to see you guys on the trails soon!

Edited by Lacch
  • Like 6