IGNORED

A thread to discuss Central Texas real estate

bestbike85

1 hour ago, CBaron said:

Travis, doesn't come around the forum too much.  But I don't think he'd mine me telling you they landed in Kerville, TX.

-CJB

Thanks. That’s a type of place I’m thinking about. Fortunately we have options. I’d prefer go east towards big farm land (think Marlin to Crockett) and find a new lifelong career and hang it up on the technology front, but that takes time and substantial effort. 

Step 1: get back to Texas 

Step 2: buy into big farmland

Step 3: knock up the wife

Only 1 of these is easy, to be honest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bestbike85 said:

Thanks. That’s a type of place I’m thinking about. Fortunately we have options. I’d prefer go east towards big farm land (think Marlin to Crockett) and find a new lifelong career and hang it up on the technology front, but that takes time and substantial effort. 

Yep, plane tickets are cheap.

-CJB

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Tree Magnet said:

I’ll throw something out there for everyone to chew on. Maybe home ownership is going the way of car ownership. Lots of young people prefer to use ride-sharing instead of buying a car. If they need one, they rent it and don’t hassle with storage, maintenance, etc. With this new hybrid work environment capability, people can be mobile now and tying themselves to one location with a home might not for their lifestyle.

Honestly, I don’t share that doom and gloom outlook on the future of our country or our generations. Things change...people change...priorities change. Just roll with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car prices are more ridiculous than real estate these days. At least real estate tends to appreciate. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, notyal said:

Car prices are more ridiculous than real estate these days. At least real estate tends to appreciate. 

I think I’m stuck in the 90’s as far as car prices go.  When I bought my car new for $25k in 2007 I thought that was extravagant.  Even though I’m a car guy/gear head I have a hard time spending more than $25k for what’s essentially an appliance.  I had no issues spending money on racing back in the day because it had a purpose, but I just can’t see myself buying another new car for $40k+.  I still love my car, I love driving it and it doubles in price when I put my bike on the rack.   I won’t blink at spending $6k+ on a new bike though.  I think I have my priorities straight.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, bestbike85 said:

Yep, Kerrville.  I love it.  I never thought one could actually be "proud" to be from somewhere.  I thought that was something in song's or a movies or whatever.  But, yeah, I am.  Love my town/neighbors/school/and life here.  If only we had the trails...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

https://www.trailforks.com/poi/59461/

Are these actual MTB trails ?

They are MTB trails for the most part.  I hiked a lot of them and it's pretty country and seems like fun XC stuff.  I think that Sherpa is thinking BCGB when he longingly remembers Austin trails.  Like the rest of Texas, there is some great terrain out there but it's all private land.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

https://www.trailforks.com/poi/59461/

Are these actual MTB trails ?

Yes. I like riding there. It is great once or twice a year, probably about all the trails within riding distance from Kerrville though, so they would get old pretty quick.

Edit - there is an entrance fee but there is also good camping and cabins. You can also connect to a pretty nice paved path along the river into town for several miles.

Edited by GFisher
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I think I’m stuck in the 90’s as far as car prices go.  When I bought my car new for $25k in 2007 I thought that was extravagant.  Even though I’m a car guy/gear head I have a hard time spending more than $25k for what’s essentially an appliance.  I had no issues spending money on racing back in the day because it had a purpose, but I just can’t see myself buying another new car for $40k+.  I still love my car, I love driving it and it doubles in price when I put my bike on the rack.   I won’t blink at spending $6k+ on a new bike though.  I think I have my priorities straight.

We started thinking about owning like leasing. Think about what it costs per month. 

We just got a new 2021 and traded in a 2016 with <30K miles on it. Basically the 2016 fetched $16K and we had bought it for $32K. So $16K for 5 years. Basically that is $266/month. I have some formulas and spreadsheets to look at maintenance costs (~$100/year on our Nissans) and things like tires (~$600-700) and whatnot. When you start doing the math, looking at the increasing costs for maintenance and then things like having to replace tires, some interesting equilibrium points come up. Like it is actually cheaper to buy a new car than put tires on it sometimes because then you have to amortize that purchase.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

We started thinking about owning like leasing. Think about what it costs per month. 

We just got a new 2021 and traded in a 2016 with <30K miles on it. Basically the 2016 fetched $16K and we had bought it for $32K. So $16K for 5 years. Basically that is $266/month. I have some formulas and spreadsheets to look at maintenance costs (~$100/year on our Nissans) and things like tires (~$600-700) and whatnot. When you start doing the math, looking at the increasing costs for maintenance and then things like having to replace tires, some interesting equilibrium points come up. Like it is actually cheaper to buy a new car than put tires on it sometimes because then you have to amortize that purchase.

You're talking to the guy that color coded his breaker map. 🙂  I too have spreadsheets to track every single expense in my car, including fuel over its life.   I'm a little bit higher per month expense on average.  There was a good blip at clutch replacement and CVJ service, and I'll need a new turbo at some point, but the costs are decreasing and that's without counting not having to carry comprehensive.  Maybe if I find a car I really like and they have 0% or close to it financing I may consider it.   I have weighed the opportunity cost as well.  I can pay cash for a nice car right now, but that money is making more in the market which is why I'd consider a good financing deal. I'm just as liable to go buy a 2014 Nissan Leaf for <$7k.  I can probably drive that for 2 years and sell it close to no loss if a car comes up that I want to buy.  So far nothing is making me pull the trigger.  I also have 4 cars total 2 of which hardly get driven.  With a 4.25mile commute, I really should be riding my bike to work (whenever I go back to work regularly that is...)

• Like 2

We generally pay cash. The dealer offered $500 incentive to finance it. So we took that. Then, while you are signing, you ask "I can pay this off early, right". They'll all say yes, because this is how *most* of the loans are written. But here's what they don't tell you: the dealer only gets THEIR incentive IF you make payments for ~90 days. If you pay off on the first payment, they get nothing.

We asked about 0% financing and they told us, no, take the 3% and you get the $500. I could give you 0% but you'd lose the $500.

So, after we leave, they all start sweating. He wants to pay it off early. He was ready to write a check today. Suddenly, we get a call, on the way home, asking us if we got 0% if we would not pay it off quickly. Told them at 0% I'd run it for the full length of the note because that is free money for me (future value, etc.)

So a few days later my wife is back at the dealer, signing the 0% paperwork, AND we keep the $500.

Those that think they have the best leverage with a check are mistaken, the best leverage is taking the loan, and then paying it off. And let them know you understand how their incentives work. Transparency works wonders.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Those that think they have the best leverage with a check are mistaken, the best leverage is taking the loan, and then paying it off. And let them know you understand how their incentives work. Transparency works wonders.

The dealer gets their money regardless of whether you finance or pay cash or whether there are incentives or not. Leverage when buying a new car comes from knowing how low they will go, and generally speaking that should be close to invoice. Of course supply and demand factor in depending on the particular make / model. Bottom line is that you have to be willing to be a bigger asshole than they are at the negotiating table. There are simply too many available new cars on lots to not be in a position of power when buying a new car, unless you are looking for some rare breed.   

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AustinBike said:

When people ask me the question of whether they should keep their current aging vehicle or buy new I always tell them to add up the cost of their maintenance over the course of a year and divide that buy 12 that equates to a monthly payment if that payment is less than a new car they usually have their answer. Of course there is alway the issue of "is the cars value worthy of the cost of this repair"?  There is basically only two ways to get the most value from your car purchase one is to have enough equity in it in three years to trade up the other is to drive it for at least ten years. Five years is the breaking point for a cars value after five years the cars value plummets like flight 800.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, throet said:

The dealer gets their money regardless of whether you finance or pay cash or whether there are incentives or not. Leverage when buying a new car comes from knowing how low they will go, and generally speaking that should be close to invoice. Of course supply and demand factor in depending on the particular make / model. Bottom line is that you have to be willing to be a bigger asshole than they are at the negotiating table. There are simply too many available new cars on lots to not be in a position of power when buying a new car, unless you are looking for some rare breed.   

Once you're in a dealership they DON'T WANT YOU TO WALK OUT without purchasing. That is one of your avenues of having some power. You try to negotiate a price that works for you if that can't happen obviously you walk, most times the dealer will find a way to get you in that car. Now that being said if you've spent some time doing this dance, carefully read and understand the purchase agreement and terms because that's typically where they try to bury people in a car loan. 

This probably doesn't need to be said here but I will anyway, never ever roll money from your trade into your new car. Once you do that you'll never have positive equity in any car moving forward.

Edited by Chief

17 hours ago, throet said:

How far is Flat Rock Ranch from Kerrville? Figured it would be relatively close for you, and probably a nice drive to boot!  

Kerrville has Schreiner Park.  We've built it out and it now has 10 miles of flowy singletrack.  Very similar to Walnut Creek.  We have another park in town with 3 miles of singletrack that I've been slowly adding on to.  Both are easily rideable by accessing the River Trail from my house.  The River Trail is a paved 6ish mile trail that follows the Guadalupe.  It's awesome.  Flat Rock is a 25 minute drive and I hit that up pretty frequently.  Fredricksburg has new trails that are 25 to 30 min away and then Hill Country SNA which is 50 min drive so more of a commitment.  

I've recently been road riding a lot more because I've got a compressed disk in my back and it my only real outlet of riding that doesn't hurt.  Cody, I don't know if you remember saying this but you once mentioned you measured a quality road ride by the amount of cattle guard crossing on the ride (or something to that effect).  Well, if that holds true we have world class road riding 🙂 .  Seriously, the most dangerous thing we deal with are sheep and cattle and deer.  Those things are idiots!  

Man, it has been a long time since I've actually been involved in a bike forum.  Just like old times!

• Like 2

the most dangerous thing we deal with are sheep and cattle and deer.  Those things are idiots!  

You realize the sheep, cattle, and deer are on their own forum talking about the idiots that ride by in funny clothes while never actually getting anywhere? You know they’re at least thinking it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, sherpaxc said:

I've recently been road riding a lot more because I've got a compressed disk in my back and it my only real outlet of riding that doesn't hurt.  Cody, I don't know if you remember saying this but you once mentioned you measured a quality road ride by the amount of cattle guard crossing on the ride (or something to that effect).  Well, if that holds true we have world class road riding 🙂 .  Seriously, the most dangerous thing we deal with are sheep and cattle and deer.  Those things are idiots!  

Man, it has been a long time since I've actually been involved in a bike forum.  Just like old times!

Your memory serves you correctly.  Cattle guards = great road riding.  I miss road riding (with people) this past year.  I think THAT has a lot to do with my lack of fitness right now.  My oldest graduates from HS soon and all the weekends are jammed pack with stuff because of that.  I sure would like to head over there and hang out.  If I came during the week, could you take the day off (how about 2)?

Welcome back to the forum...see you again next year.

-CJB

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Can you give us a road tour some time?

Totally.  That would be fun.  

Cody, I only have 6.5 weeks left of school.  It's near impossible to get a sub this year so no, I couldn't take a day.  I could any other year.  Also, something else we've discussed.  Seasons.  You've got a busy season of life right now.  You'll be back.  You always are.  

4 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Real or scam?  Anyone else getting these?  I'm kind of relieved this wasn't another auto warranty scammer, but I hope I'm not going to get more cold-calls like this:

image.thumb.png.30e1693998a4662ee5f92ac8b0d7408e.png

Probably a scam. That happens a lot when people post things on a public website with their address on it 😉 

• Haha 1