IGNORED

A thread to discuss Central Texas real estate

bestbike85

14 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

You mean like places like traviscad.org?  (just looked you up 🙂 )

So, you feel my pain, then, right? That 10% cap on taxes because of the homestead exemption seems like a great thing, but you know it is all gonna catch up with you. The only reason I won't leave my neighborhood is that I could never afford to buy back into it later.

• Like 1

I got my Travis County appraisal back Monday and it went DOWN $50k from last time!! I was doing the freaking snoopy dance in the street when I opened the letter. Not even going to ask questions.......

Now have to fight it out with my mortgage company to lower my escrow pmt.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

So, you feel my pain, then, right? That 10% cap on taxes because of the homestead exemption seems like a great thing, but you know it is all gonna catch up with you. The only reason I won't leave my neighborhood is that I could never afford to buy back into it later.

Yep.  I've been feeling that 10% for a long time here.  We actually want to move out of here closer to you to a more walkable neighborhood but we may wait until our son finishes HS.  Golf carts to get around the neighborhood, and for kids to drive around here are a thing, but I think seeing the 3-row Escalade golf-cart did it for me.

We took a year off from protesting but we're about to replace a deck with a screened in porch (attached to the house) so I'm expecting my assessment to jump again for next year. We're protesting this year to try to get ahead of the curve on that one. The whole tax protesting thing is such a scam, they're all in bed with each other, it's the ultimate grift.

• Like 2

My market value increased 31% in Travis near the SATN. For 2020, TCAD mostly rolled the values from 2019 due to the fight they were in with Austin Board of Realtors.

Even with the increase, it is still below market and with the homestead cap of only 10%, no tax agent would take the case on a contingency. 2021 is going to be another significant increase since we had a 1997 built, 2,000 sq ft homes selling for $800k. This is not in Circle C, either.

• Like 1

Yeah, the travis appraisal value means nothing. The 2bd condo behind me just sold for $200k over.

Already submitted mine to the mortgage company. Gonna be $1k less out of pocket compared to last year. 

BUT, 2 out of three of our insurance policies went up for 2021. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Golf carts don't really work in my neighborhood, we're not THOSE people, we're mostly older hippies that stumbled into the right neighborhood a long time ago.

I'm not old enough to be a true hippie, but I wear Birkenstocks.  Will you let me into your neighborhood? 🙂

I used to always want to protest, and I'd always ask my realtor what he thought, and he'd always come back with, "I can sell it for more than that as it sits right now".  One year I actually went through with it.  The grass was all dead, lots of wood rot in the deck and fence, etc.  I took pictures.  They knocked $1200 off.  I haven't tried since.

4 hours ago, AustinBike said:

We took a year off from protesting but we're about to replace a deck with a screened in porch (attached to the house) so I'm expecting my assessment to jump again for next year. We're protesting this year to try to get ahead of the curve on that one. The whole tax protesting thing is such a scam, they're all in bed with each other, it's the ultimate grift.

OK when will you make it to the R&I?  We gotta talk.  We're also in the process of adding a screened-in porch.  Not for discussion here, but I want to ask about GC, design options, etc.  We don't use our expansive deck b/c if it's not mosquitoes then it's worms and oak flowers when the weather is nice.

8 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

OK when will you make it to the R&I?  We gotta talk.  We're also in the process of adding a screened-in porch.  Not for discussion here, but I want to ask about GC, design options, etc.  We don't use our expansive deck b/c if it's not mosquitoes then it's worms and oak flowers when the weather is nice.

Next Tuesday I will be riding. I have an awesome contractor, he has done a ton of big jobs on our house. Very reliable.

we can talk next week.

This is what we are doing:

Tan4-16.thumb.jpg.900df33fa816159eda531413e502e7a8.jpg

Edited by AustinBike
  • Like 1

I guess it could always be worse. A friend of mine here in Denver is closing on a condo he is fired up about. 775 sq ft, 2 bed, 1 bath, built in the 50s, 1 old run down covered parking spot that has holes all across the roof, $225/month HOA, all at $452/sq ft. 

Yikes. 

41 minutes ago, bestbike85 said:

all at $452/sq ft. 

That's right at twice my house price in North Austin 2 years ago. I hope to sell for that in quite a few years when the Uptown Explosion matures. I should be pretty tired of Walnut by then. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheX said:

Got just over $1K/sq ft 16 years ago in Newport Beach CA. Absolutely stupid, house was built in the '60s.

Hah! My mom lived off of jamboree. small world

7 hours ago, Barry said:

That's right at twice my house price in North Austin 2 years ago. I hope to sell for that in quite a few years when the Uptown Explosion matures. I should be pretty tired of Walnut by then. 

Paid $112 sqft in 2018 and planning on holding this bitch for another 18-24 months then unloading. Plan is to sell, GTFO, put the cash in the bank and rent until the bubble pops/deflates so we can get the most purchasing power for our money.

"My" realtor...actually a golfing buddy that helped my son buy a house, sent me a comp from a house in my rent house's neighborhood. He wants me to sell it of course. Anyway, the comp house was sold at $483/square foot. Yes that's right, get your calculator out right now, I know you're doing it; putting in YOUR house's square footage. 😄

It really is crazy.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, The Tip said:

"My" realtor...actually a golfing buddy that helped my son buy a house, sent me a comp from a house in my rent house's neighborhood. He wants me to sell it of course. Anyway, the comp house was sold at $483/square foot. Yes that's right, get your calculator out right now, I know you're doing it; putting in YOUR house's square footage. 😄

It really is crazy.

I get that offer, I'm moving. 

• Like 2