IGNORED

The vaccine

mack_turtle

Yeah, that vaccine. How's it going for you? My wife and I volunteered at the Hays County vaxx-a-thon near Kyle Friday and got our first dose of the Pfizer jab that night. We're not high risk, but they had plenty of doses for volunteers. 48 hours later, I just have a slight bruising on my arm where it went in. No side effects or either of us (yet).

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 2

First shot about a week ago, just a sore arm for a few days, get the second in a few more weeks.  Girlfriend has had both of hers for a while now, no issues what so ever for her after either shots. 

2 people at work, felt really bad for about 24 hours after their second shot, and the other had the one doze shot.  But then they felt fine.

Looknig forward to that second shot already, cant get her soon enough

• Like 1

I'll be getting mine when I get to the 90 day mark after having covid. My doctor has said that he's seen more uncomfortable side effects from the Moderna than from the Pfizer. He also said I only need one dose due to already having covid. Covid in effect being my first dose.

This is a bit concerning though considering the Johnson and Johnson was developed using the same technology.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/15/covid-ireland-netherlands-suspend-astrazeneca-vaccine-amid-blood-clot-fears.html

Edited by Chief
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chief said:

I'll be getting mine when I get to the 90 day mark after having covid. My doctor has said that he's seen more uncomfortable side effects from the Moderna than from the Pfizer. He also said I only need one dose due to already having covid. Covid in effect being my first dose.

This is a bit concerning though considering the Johnson and Johnson was developed using the same technology.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/15/covid-ireland-netherlands-suspend-astrazeneca-vaccine-amid-blood-clot-fears.html

The J&J thing is crazy.

I understand the hesitancy because of the blood clots, but the prevalence of Astra Zeneca blood clots among vaccinated people (trial and in real life) is no worse than the prevalence of blood clots in the general population. I can see slowing things down to take a look at it, that makes sense.

What I don't understand is people not wanting to get vaccinated at all because of these issues. On one hand you have a handful of blood clots, no deaths. On the other hand you have 30 freaking million infections AND HALF A MILLION DEATHS.

Anyone who is wary of the vaccine because of a handful of incidents needs to take a step back and look at the big picture. We're not gonna defeat this thing with hopes and prayers. I think a lot of people have the proportions out of size.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, TheX said:

There are a LOT more than 30 million infections. T

Totally agree here

Our 17 y/o got the pfizer and is due for the 2nd one thursday. All she complained about was having a sore arm and being a little tired, but she says that whenever she gets a shot, regardless. 

Late 70s neighbors got both of theirs and didn't mention any issues.

Edited by ATXZJ

I've been volunteering for APH/VxATX at the Delco Center and got my first Moderna dose on 2/27.  There, the number of shots available to volunteers is very limited.  they do a good job (as they should) making sure not to open more vials than they need.  There are a ton of volunteers and only a handful get it but I think if you volunteer frequently chances are you'll get one.  As usual with any vaccine for me (worst is DPT) I had a sore arm and a little swelling for a couple of days.  10 days later I had some itchiness.  My wife also had Moderna and was basically down for 24 hours and not feeling great for another 12 after her 2nd shot.  I can't wait for my side effects!

@TheX if you can get it now, get it.  

Regarding the Aztra Zenecca/Oxford vaccine, that one was disappointing in how they did the trials.  It's why it is not available in the US yet.  As far as clots, all the vaccines had stoppages during testing for various reasons, and the blood clot incidence rate is no greater for vaccinated as to non-vaccined populations.  They're just being over-cautious (not just my opinion but also some experts' opinions).

The Janssen/J&J is really good and is the only one that has gone through extensive trials during the era of the British and South Africa variants.

I am a little worried i'll need a booster for the variants eventually, whereas if I'd gotten the J/J&J I'd feel a little less worried.

3 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I am a little worried i'll need a booster for the variants eventually, whereas if I'd gotten the J/J&J I'd feel a little less worried.

Everything is going to need a booster.

The fact that we have anti-vax and vaccine hesitant people means that we are going to have a nice Petri dish for creating variables. I am one dose into Pfizer and I expect a booster before the end of the year (probably 6 months after my second.) More importantly, I am guessing that we are going to continue to have boosters for a few years. The only bright spot in all of this is how fast the Pharma world is moving and how quickly we could have those boosters.

This will be the new normal, just like the flu. But good god, getting a jab almost one year after the start of this thing is nothing short of a miracle.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

my second dose is three days before Castell Grind. Hopefully I don't get a fever and chills 30 miles in.

I got mine months ago secondary to working at a hospital. I can’t speak to the moderna as I got the Pfizer, but on my second shot the only side effect I had was a slightly more sore shoulder for about a 24hr period starting the morning after my shot. Out of all the people that surround me that have gotten the second shot I would say ~50% had a more severe reaction that I did to the second dose, but within all cases their symptoms disappeared within 48 hours. I hope you are the same and this gives you peace of mind before your grind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4fun said:

I got mine months ago secondary to working at a hospital. I can’t speak to the moderna as I got the Pfizer, but on my second shot the only side effect I had was a slightly more sore shoulder for about a 24hr period starting the morning after my shot. Out of all the people that surround me that have gotten the second shot I would say ~50% had a more severe reaction that I did to the second dose, but within all cases their symptoms disappeared within 48 hours. I hope you are the same and this gives you peace of mind before your grind.

thanks!

I said I had no other side effects, but I feel drowsy right now. almost fell asleep on camera during a work meeting just now. kind of like to just took a benadryl but not quite that strong. it could also be the time zone change and allergies, but I'll call it "vaccine side effects."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

This will be the new normal, just like the flu. But good god, getting a jab almost one year after the start of this thing is nothing short of a miracle Science!

FTFY.

Also, cool news, they are looking into mRNA Flu vaccines!  They think they can make something that's less hit or miss than the current stuff.  That's so awesome.

1 minute ago, mack_turtle said:

thanks!

I said I had no other side effects, but I feel drowsy right now. almost fell asleep on camera during a work meeting just now. kind of like to just took a benadryl but not quite that strong. it could also be the time zone change and allergies, but I'll call it "vaccine side effects."

I forgot to mention feeling tired too but I'd also just come out of a period of super high stress and it seemed like allergies were pretty bad.  Now I wonder whether it was from the shot.

• Like 1

Both Bastrop county and Dallas county wait lists came through with invitations for me in the past 24 hours. I already have my shot from Walgreens, but if you are over 50 and have not hit all of the surrounding counties then you need to get on it. Austin Public Health has still not eased restrictions for 50-65 and it may be a while.

For those that are over 50 and are very flexible (ie. willing to drive a bit and can be vaccinated any time) my wife is scouring the websites for appointments. Let me know and we can text you when she finds open ones. You'll need to jump on the site in minutes to register, they are typically for the next day or two. There are plenty of openings for those willing to do the work. Passively waiting for the right situation will not get you anywhere, the early bird and the active bird are taking the worms.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I signed up with Wilco on the 11th for group 1C (50-64). I got an email on Tuesday around 4:30pm, immediately set an appt for 5:45 and was home before 6:30pm. I got the shot at the stadium off Parmer near Brushy. It was a pretty efficient operation. I probably had my shot within 5-10 minutes of pulling the parking lot. The longest wait was when they make you wait in the exit line for 15 minutes to make sure you don't have a serious reaction. They were cranking the Moderna shots out.

I have barely noticed any effects, just a very slight soreness on my arm. I was almost hoping for more just to know it is working.

I provided my insurance. The vaccine is free, but apparently they can charge a fee to administer. I got the sense they would charge your insurance if you had it but not bother if you don't.

Edited by GFisher
  • Like 3

I got the J&J shot thru H-E-B’s website at their Killeen location on Saturday. Really they were doing the mass drive thru at a nearby church parking lot. If you hop on their site it lists all the available slots statewide, usually next day. Be quick, because they disappear quickly. Refresh constantly. Got kid in at Ed Bluestein in store on a weekday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was just looking up protection level (effectiveness) for a single shot of Moderna, and I'm yet more amazed at how good these vaccines are and how great it was that a year in we're getting them in arms.  The criteria for approving a vaccine is minimum 40% effectiveness, and with one shot of the Moderna it is at >50% effectiveness!  The other good news is Britain's single shot/delay 2nd shot seems to be working and delaying that 2nd shot doesn't seem to reduce maximum effectiveness.  It also seems to be making even the British variant tank.

I looked up this info b/c I'm at 3 weeks from 1st shot and haven't received schedule on the 2nd shot yet.  Worst case I show up on my 42nd day without an appointment and get 2nd shot.  I know b/c I saw several people in the same situation come through my line when I was checking people in at Delco.  I feel much better about waiting until the 42nd day now.

I think most of the countries that had paused AztraZeneca/Oxford for clots have restarted.  I think they wasted valuable time.

Another positive note on yet another vaccine option:  I thought Novavax was out but it turns out to be highly effective (mid 90's) on original, British (B.1.1.7) and 55% on S. Africa variant (B.1.351) and 100% on all 3 against severe disease.  It's also a refrigerator temperature stable vaccine.

• Like 1

Actually the data I saw was more like this:

First 2 weeks <50%

2-4 weeks 50-80% (there was some expert that said 90% after 4 weeks, but that seems to be a minority opinion)

Second jab

+2 weeks 95%

Now, the caveat is that this is based on the "classic" covid and not the other variants as much. This is why J&J had 72% efficacy where the others had 95%; J&J was testing against a wider range of variants. And a J&J booster could really be a game changer.

There are some keys right now:

1. Get whatever you can, as fast as you can

2. Get the booster

3. Don't skip your second shot. While 80% immunity after the first shot is great, you want a really strong immune system to take on the variants. 

4. Continue to take safety measures, don't "totally relax" because you are not bullet proof. There will always be variants, and knowing that there are pockets of people who refuse to take the vaccine, variants are going to be a way of life.

• Like 4