IGNORED

The vaccine

mack_turtle

3 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

Who? Where? The internet has a tendency to amplify ignorance, so there might be a fair amount of that.

On the other hand, I want people to continue to stay six feet away just because I want people to stay the fuck away from my personal space in general.

As does basically every national news source in the US🤪. It's amazing to me they don't seem to care about sighting sources anymore and when they do it's just each other in a circular fashion.

4 hours ago, TheX said:

I'm shocked at how many people are saying that masks should still be required, even after everyone is vaccinated.

Fuck that.

... because ... there is no evidence that those vaccinated cannot still carry and transmit the virus?

I enjoy our chats on this forum, but happy enough that I don't ride with you.

53 minutes ago, TAF said:

... because ... there is no evidence that those vaccinated cannot still carry and transmit the virus?

I enjoy our chats on this forum, but happy enough that I don't ride with you.

Wow, enjoy your forever lockdown.

Anyone not vaccinated should stay away from others, and wear their masks...then get vaccinated. 

Edited by TheX

12 hours ago, TAF said:

because ... there is no evidence that those vaccinated cannot still carry and transmit the virus?

There is a little evidence, but I think it will be 3-5 years until there is substantial evidence! That being said I'm going to use the logic that essentially every other effective vaccine in the history of this planet has prevented the viral load from getting to a point of being transmissible? With that thought process I'm going to use common sense and return to life as normal, but continue to be respectful of high risk populations and wear a mask around them if they want me to or simply just stay away from high risk people. If there is evidence presented in a fair and unbiased manner that the vaccine is no longer effective against new variants I will reassess my stance. If we live our lives on what ifs, no one should ever go unmasked or leave their houses again, because this will not be the last new transmissible virus and we have no evidence of when this virus will emerge. I have no problem with people exercising their free will and self imprisoning themselves.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, 4fun said:

There is a little evidence, but I think it will be 3-5 years until there is substantial evidence! That being said I'm going to use the logic that essentially every other effective vaccine in the history of this planet has prevented the viral load from getting to a point of being transmissible? With that thought process I'm going to use common sense and return to life as normal, but continue to be respectful of high risk populations and wear a mask around them if they want me to or simply just stay away from high risk people. If there is evidence presented in a fair and unbiased manner that the vaccine is no longer effective against new variants I will reassess my stance. If we live our lives on what ifs, no one should ever go unmasked or leave their houses again, because this will not be the last new transmissible virus and we have no evidence of when this virus will emerge. I have no problem with people exercising their free will and self imprisoning themselves.

I stay out of situations where high risk people are involved, and I have already stated that I will continue to support and use masks when businesses require it. But I agree, people should assess their own level of risk, and act on that. If that means avoiding me, then it's all good. A lot of this reminds me that we still have people that are trying to force tolerance through intolerance. If a person feels that they are at risk, then they need to wear a mask, stay away from others, and not put themselves in situations that may elevate that risk. I am not responsible for their comfort level. If that sounds harsh, so be it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TheX said:

Wow, enjoy your forever lockdown.

Anyone not vaccinated should stay away from others, and wear their masks...then get vaccinated. 

I'd hardly call wearing a mask a 'forever lockdown'. It's just wearing a mask - no great hardship. Even though I've had both my shots, I'm happy to continue to wear a mask.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, TheX said:

If you signed up at Austin Public Health, and got your vaccine elsewhere don't forget to log in and tell them. It helps in tracking how many people have been dosed.

Don't get me started - one of the worst web experiences ever to come out of Austin. They make it almost impossible to log back in.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TAF said:

I'd hardly call wearing a mask a 'forever lockdown'. It's just wearing a mask - no great hardship. Even though I've had both my shots, I'm happy to continue to wear a mask.

all these snowflakes for the past acting like martyrs because they are required to wear a puny mask would make me laugh if was not such a tragedy overall. It's been eye-opening to learn how selfish Americans are. they're not just selfish, but "I would rather you die in pain than take the slightest effort that makes me feel mildly and temporarily kind of uncomfortable" selfish. 

Of course here comes the name calling. The kindness is everything group talking shit about people that disagree with them. Next we'll have the large group generalizations and derogatory remarks. Like I said, forcing tolerance with intolerance.

I'm not forcing anyone to do anything. I already stated that I have no problem with wearing masks where required. To make it sound like my choices are going to cause someone to *die in pain* is utter and complete bullshit. I think the snowflake label is being applied the wrong direction. The difference is I'm not attacking others for it. but please, feel free to keep being you. Wear your mask, maintain your safe distance, and mind your own business.

20 minutes ago, TheX said:

Of course here comes the name calling.

what would you call the people who, from the beginning, would refuse to cover up, barged into stores and punched retail workers in the face for trying to respect store policy, and enforce city and state ordinances. none of what I said was directed at you, but I find it interesting that you responded to it. i didn't call you out but you answered the call. that might say a lot about how your view yourself.

I've become less and less of a "kindness is everything" person. humans are gross.

Edited by mack_turtle

4 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

all these snowflakes for the past acting like martyrs because they are required to wear a puny mask would make me laugh if was not such a tragedy overall. It's been eye-opening to learn how selfish Americans are. they're not just selfish, but "I would rather you die in pain than take the slightest effort that makes me feel mildly and temporarily kind of uncomfortable" selfish. 

Heard a guy from Ireland talking about how they did everything right and they are going into another lockdown and we did everything wrong and still have all of the vaccines.  There are a lot of dynamics there that I will not even start to unpack, but everyone should be happy they live somewhere where there is a chance at getting vaccinated. On my weekly German call things are not very promising either.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

what would you call the people who, from the beginning, would refuse to cover up, barged into stores and punched retail workers in the face for trying to respect store policy, and enforce city and state ordinances. none of what I said was directed at you, but I find it interesting that you responded to it. i didn't call you out but you answered the call. that might say a lot about how your view yourself.

I've become less and less of a "kindness is everything" person. humans are gross.

I would call those people criminals for assaulting people, and the ones barging into stores that require masks, without masks trespassers. I think there was such a small number of people that did this, yet national news! How many people did these things in your presence?

11 hours ago, 4fun said:

I would call those people criminals for assaulting people, and the ones barging into stores that require masks, without masks trespassers. I think there was such a small number of people that did this, yet national news! How many people did these things in your presence?

I've encountered a few non-maskers at Home Depot and HEB recently. They know what they are doing, and these assholes have everyone so scared that no one confronts them. I also avoid contact with this level of brazen ignorance.

• Like 1

Humans suck.

I got covid not because of some asshat not wearing a mask or because I wasn't wearing a mask. How I got covid was from my wife who works in a rehabilitation hospital. She entered a patients room, she was wearing her mask but the patient had no mask and had not been tested for covid. Turns out the patient was positive and infected my wife even though she had a mask on.

The idea that we live in the society that we can't hurt peoples feelings by the things we say but yet continue to try and assert our perceived civil rights is insane.

My point to this being that wearing a mask doesn't protect you it protects the people around you if you're walking around with asymptomatic/undiagnosed COVID. 

These assholes that are trying to assert their perceived civil rights are the same assholes that are crying about getting their feelings hurt by something someone said or posted to social media.

We think that all this PC bullshit is making us a more civil society but it's not.

Fuck the human race! Bring on the asteroid!

P.S. The common flu has been non existent this year. Can anyone guess why? Because of wearing masks.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Chief said:

P.S. The common flu has been non existent this year. Can anyone guess why? Because of wearing masks.

I was going to bring this up as well - quite telling. While it is a testament to mask wearing, social distancing, etc, it shouldn't be viewed as a substitute for getting an annual flu vaccine. The reality is that less than half of Americans get a flu vaccine each year, and they are likely the ones who spread it when not forced to wear masks and social distance.   

• Like 3