IGNORED

The vaccine

mack_turtle

1 hour ago, Barry said:

Are you on a trip? Getting any kind of sick on a trip is the worst. It's happened to me several times with 24 hour+ stomach bugs of food poisoning on MTB trips.  

I have memories of Diego Rivera's house bench in the foyer which I was riding feeling awful while my family toured the whole place...after eating some bus station cafeteria food.  I knew better but it looked so good!  I've only ever gotten worse once and that was in San Antonio.  Was so dehydrated my dad could not find a vein for the IV.  Got sick once while in India for work but not as bad.  That sucked too.  Didn't keep me from touring a local palace but it did keep me from enjoying all the food for the 2nd week of the trip.  My coworker told me when I got back that my problem was not drinking enough liquor.

Hope you feel better soon ATXZJ!

• Thanks 1

The latest data on long covid is that it seems to hit both younger people and active people. The current thinking, for what it is worth, is that trying to jump back in and push yourself (which is something young people and athletes tend to do) is causing lots of downstream issues and long covid.

Take it easy and do some reading. Trying to get back into it too early could be detrimental to your health.

• Like 1

Stopped taking the paxlovid after 2.5 days. 

Wife came up positive yesterday and and her doctor recommended against using pax since her symptoms like mine, were mild, and she has no health issues. 

Ever since I started taking it, I had the worst aftertaste in my mouth. So much so it was waking me up in the middle of the night . Complete cotton mouth too. Was really surprised how quickly it would appear when I took my dose. Within 10 minutes the sour grapefruit taste was back and stronger than ever. Made my breath gnarly as well. Hard pass.

First afternoon/night off of it, I slept straight through and awoke feeling far better rested. 

Not a condemnation of the drug but I don't think I needed it. Gonna hang on to the remaining packs just in case.

And yes @AustinBike, we're taking it way easy for a bit, but also having to manage moving out of our house at the same time.

Looking back, we were hitting black/double black DH trails in telluride for four days, and then boozing it all night when I was already symptomatic.

Damage may already be done🤣

Edited by ATXZJ

Be careful on the paxlovid because there is a "rebound" for ~5-10% of the people. They basically get cured, they believe, and then on day 7 or so it comes back. If you are stopping it you may be more likely to get the rebound, so keep testing. 

There is talk that in the future they may do a 10-day regimen for paxlovid based on this because the 5-day regimen for some people.

Anyway, take it easy and you will hopefully be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/19/2022 at 11:49 AM, ATXZJ said:

Well, after nearly 2.5 years, I finally caught the Rona. Started with bubble-gut and diarrhea the first or second day in telluride last week. No respiratory issues until Thursday night when I began experiencing a dry cough. Friday's ride on the high altitude xc trails was brutal, and had me completely gassed.

Tested positive Monday with fever, cough, and fatigue as symptoms. Currently on paxlovid, with no fever and taking the week off .

Blarf

Sucks dude! Glad you made the best of it. Hard to believe it's been over two years already that we've been dealing with COVID. Got my second booster yesterday for a total of 4 pokes of the Pfizer.  

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, throet said:

Sucks dude! Glad you made the best of it. Hard to believe it's been over two years already that we've been dealing with COVID. Got my second booster yesterday for a total of 4 pokes of the Pfizer.  

I did my second booster with Moderna (after 3 Pfizers). There was a lot of medical talk that the mix and match approach works well because it makes your immune system work in different ways.

• Like 1

Boosters are not really designed to prevent you from getting it. The boosters are designed to prevent serious infection, hospitalization and death.

Be thankful you are boosted, that is probably one of the reasons that you are doing well so far.

Early on the vaccine helped prevent infection on the OG strains but the stuff we are seeing today is incredibly transmissible. But hospitalization and death have stabilized, they are primarily in the unvaccinated ranks, vaxxed people are a tiny part of those numbers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

Boosters are not really designed to prevent you from getting it. The boosters are designed to prevent serious infection, hospitalization and death.

Be thankful you are boosted, that is probably one of the reasons that you are doing well so far.

Early on the vaccine helped prevent infection on the OG strains but the stuff we are seeing today is incredibly transmissible. But hospitalization and death have stabilized, they are primarily in the unvaccinated ranks, vaxxed people are a tiny part of those numbers.

not boosted. havent had a jab since 4/2021. Overall quality of health IMHO, will be the best defense in preventing hospitalization. 

think current strains are beyond anything pharma can help with, and nature is currently sorting itself out. Thankfully omicron is way more contagious and less dangerous than the big D.

My experience with the virus was somewhere between the flu and a cold. Sucked either way.

9 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

think current strains are beyond anything pharma can help with

Pharma is totally helping. It's people who aren't. Here's a snapshot from Canada:

1074102698_ScreenShot2022-07-25at5_58_36AM.thumb.jpg.96832b1e478b72d5886ad770ad507824.jpg

And here's a snapshot of the US around the last wave:

1340223855_ScreenShot2022-07-25at6_03_15AM.thumb.jpg.c4b012ce3735a9d67fa4297431489b37.jpg

Hospitalization and death are what Pharma is focused on and they are nailing it. But it is even having an impact on overall infections.

I think the issue is that a.) too many people thought that vaccinations would just wipe it all out and b.) too many people thought that if enough of the population got vaccinated, that would not need to.

This is going to be endemic, like the flu. We'll have a yearly shot eventually, but it will always be with us.

• 3 weeks later...

We both got it on our trip.  Made our 2nd week of vacation completely sucky.  I started first.  It seemed like horrible allergies at first.  I tested negative and went to meet a friend for dinner.  "Allergies" felt worse the next day but still felt like allergies.  Then the next day I got the fever, aches, and chills.  It lasted for a few hours.  I still thought it was something completely different.  My wife tested herself again and was negative.  The next day I felt amazing and went for a short ride on the town's paved hike and bike.  Then the sore throat and next-level congestion started.  At this point I tested again and within 90 seconds the test was positive.  My wife tested slightly positive (with no symptoms) a day later.  Within 3-4 days all I had left was annoying congestion, but she got it really bad for a few days with a bad cough (she has asthma) that wouldn't clear up.  We postponed our trip back 3 days and that was the right call.  She's now dealing with the congestion.  I had my 2nd booster in April.  She's under 50 so her single booster was in December.  I'm usually the one that gets any disease brought-in by kids the worst usually b/c of secondary sinus infection (return to school everyone gets sick, kids are good after 2 days, parents suffer for 1-2 weeks).

The way this variant behaves, it's no wonder everyone is getting it.  The number was 15% in the US had never had it about 2-2 weeks ago.  I'd be surprised if we're not in the single digits now.  I believe it's not if you get it, but when you get it because even people like us that take precautions to some degree are now getting it.   We still go to eat out...which is no different since we've been vaccinated, and it's where I believe we got it this time.

I hate being sick even for 2 days of any kind and I get really angry when I know someone is not careful (e.g. kids coughing and not covering up).  For me this was like a mild flu + a horrible  strep throat (worst throat pain I've ever felt, thank goodness for NC Moonshine with honey) but I don't want to get sick again.  It ruined our vacation and my mountain biking trip and in the past flus have prevented me from doing the Unbound Gravel (registered, but got the flu the week before).  Even pre-COVID I was already resolute to use masks before a big bike event, now that masks are normal like they have been in Asia for years, I will continue to do the same and I will get ALL the shots I can.

• Sad 2

13 hours ago, AustinBike said:

but they think that trying to snap back too fast can bring on the long Covid.

I've heard this too. Especially with athletes. 

Got the Rona officially, on 7/18 after riding for nearly a week with it. Now taking this week to recover from working in the TX heat, packing and moving all our crap to storage then driving 2k miles. The view/trails are MSA make it very tempting but I'm just tired AF.

Oh and I got flagged for a "random" COVID test at the Detroit border crossing. That was a pita to put it mildly.