IGNORED

The vaccine

mack_turtle

17 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

4. Continue to take safety measures, don't "totally relax" because you are not bullet proof. There will always be variants, and knowing that there are pockets of people who refuse to take the vaccine, variants are going to be a way of life.

So far for me, the only reason I don't venture out more (dying to have a dinner date with my wife, do the R&I) or totally relax, is not b/c I fear only having 50% effective vaccine (which I--not an expert--and any vax expert out there would have been happy with in the before-times), but because I've been doing this for 12 months and 1 week (that's how long ago I cancelled a work trip to CA), and I'd kick myself in the nuts if I got even a mild version of it at this point b/c I couldn't wait 3-4 more weeks.  I think this is because of my broken ankle, and the regret of going that last time out on the more advanced track and having my foot face sideways a minute later, after 7-8 hours of riding that day.  I'm definitely a risk-averse person in pretty much every single way (financial, health, etc.).  Some of us are more like that, some of us go do RedBull Rampage.  🙂

As it is, my 75yo mom (fully vaccinated) is coming to visit us next month.  We should both be fully vaccinated.  My 16yo son is not, but as I was reading, being 16 or under is like having a 98% effective vaccine.  I haven't seen her since Christmas 2019.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I'm definitely a risk-averse person in pretty much every single way (financial, health, etc.).  Some of us are more like that, some of us go do RedBull Rampage.

It's hard to believe this has been going on for over a year but I guess you are right. I'm by no means a virus denier, but I've taken more of the RedBull approach. We've continued dining out 3-4 times per week on average except for the short period when all we could get was takeout (and during the big freeze that shut everything down). We also did a family gathering (about 17 close relatives) in July, and have had a few family visits since then. My wife visited her niece and found out a couple of days later that the niece was positive for COVID-19. Still none of us in my immediate household have gotten sick at all during the pandemic. I'm definitely looking forward to getting my vaccine, but won't be going out of my way to get it. Figure BS&W will contact me eventually, and I'll waltz right on in when that happens.  

Of course now that I've posted this, I'll probably become the Herman Cain of Austin Mountain Biking, and y'all will be making an example of me after I'm gone.       

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, throet said:

It's hard to believe this has been going on for over a year but I guess you are right. I'm by no means a virus denier, but I've taken more of the RedBull approach. We've continued dining out 3-4 times per week on average except for the short period when all we could get was takeout (and during the big freeze that shut everything down). We also did a family gathering (about 17 close relatives) in July, and have had a few family visits since then. My wife visited her niece and found out a couple of days later that the niece was positive for COVID-19. Still none of us in my immediate household have gotten sick at all during the pandemic. I'm definitely looking forward to getting my vaccine, but won't be going out of my way to get it. Figure BS&W will contact me eventually, and I'll waltz right on in when that happens.  

Of course now that I've posted this, I'll probably become the Herman Cain of Austin Mountain Biking, and y'all will be making an example of me after I'm gone.       

I'm right there with you. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

So far for me, the only reason I don't venture out more (dying to have a dinner date with my wife, do the R&I) or totally relax, is not b/c I fear only having 50% effective vaccine (which I--not an expert--and any vax expert out there would have been happy with in the before-times), but because I've been doing this for 12 months and 1 week (that's how long ago I cancelled a work trip to CA), and I'd kick myself in the nuts if I got even a mild version of it at this point b/c I couldn't wait 3-4 more weeks.  I think this is because of my broken ankle, and the regret of going that last time out on the more advanced track and having my foot face sideways a minute later, after 7-8 hours of riding that day.  I'm definitely a risk-averse person in pretty much every single way (financial, health, etc.).  Some of us are more like that, some of us go do RedBull Rampage.  🙂

As it is, my 75yo mom (fully vaccinated) is coming to visit us next month.  We should both be fully vaccinated.  My 16yo son is not, but as I was reading, being 16 or under is like having a 98% effective vaccine.  I haven't seen her since Christmas 2019.

I am totally with you on this. The best analogy is you don't run all the way down the field and spike the ball on the 5 yard line. If I have been able to make it this far, I can hold out a few more weeks (5 and counting). April 27th will be my first R&I in ~14 months. Still amazing to think that no matter how bad this thing was, we were vaccinating in under a year.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Instances like this always reel me back in when I'm playing a little too fast and loose.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/greg-minnaar-shares-training-struggles-following-his-covid-19-diagnosis.html

Yeah, I think about it this way. If someone told you that by quarantining for a year you'd be able to ride for the next 25 years, but if you didn't there is a chance you may never ride again, what would you do? To me a 14 month inconvenience to guarantee I could ride again was a no-brainer.

• Like 2

People have their own opinions. They have the right to their own risk/comfort level with the virus. I know people that are still going to practice social distancing after everyone they know is vaccinated, and still wear masks everywhere.

I'm not. That's my right. As soon as things are back open, I will be back to my normal activities. If a store requires masks, then I will be wearing one, not a big deal.

All of the judgmental pricks have the right to their opinion. They don't have the right to dictate the behavior of others. 

• Like 1

What an incredibly fucked up system.

CVS has a time slot in Taylor next week for the fist dose. Not allowed to have it since their system shows no second doses available in the entire state, at any time. Called the 800 number, they said they have first doses but no one can have them since they can't schedule the second one.

This is being run by fucking idiots.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

This should be done in a logical, centralized manner. APH could be our hub. Everyone signs up, and you are placed in the appropriate group based on eligibility.

When does are available, you get notified and have a set period of time to confirm. If you don't your slot goes to the next person.

You should get a place and date/time.

That place could be HEB, CVS, whatever, you have to go where you get assigned.

Having so many different places to check, and no organization is insane. I know young people with no qualifying conditions that have theirs already. 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2021 at 10:46 AM, AustinBike said:

4. Continue to take safety measures, don't "totally relax" because you are not bullet proof. There will always be variants, and knowing that there are pockets of people who refuse to take the vaccine, variants are going to be a way of life.

The answer is probably not hard to find, but after I get my second shot and my immune system is as strong as it will ever be for the virus, can I still spread it?

while I will get back into supporting the local economy and doing normal things again, I will still wear a mask for a while to come, even if I am 99% immune for the sake of solidarity with people who are not vaxxed. have you ever noticed how when you go into a place where everyone is covering up and ONE jackwagon is prancing around without it? they stick out and probably feel self-conscious about it, as they should feel. If I keep wearing mine, I don't make people who don't want to wear one feel like they can just fling it off and potentially infect everyone.

Edited by mack_turtle

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

The answer is probably not hard to find, but after I get my second shot and my immune system is as strong as it will ever be for the virus, can I still spread it?

Like Albert said, a MTBing site is not the best place to get these answers...but we still do all come here and ask and answer.  🙂

A conclusive answer is indeed hard to find.  At this point what I've seen from experts is to be safe and mask.  But they also said spreading depends on:  how much virus is present, how much you shed, how infectious it is.  If you are immune and don't get sick, it doesn't mean you don't have any.  Whether you shed any or how much is a good question.  I think it's safe to assume how much you shed if you've had it or have been vaccinated is much less.  So far the sharply downward trending numbers seem to support this.  I certainly have not seen people be any more reserved about going out and going back to "normal".   My brother (a geeky BSEE/M.D. but not an immunologist/virologist) seems to think we can "go lick door knobs".  I think I will not.

I think first place for my wife and I after I get my 2nd shot will be to go to a movie at the Alamo Drafthouse, with drinks before.  I'm not sure I'll wear a mask at all.  Maybe by then more data will be out.  It's fun to start thinking about plans.  We already have a trip planned to the NE in July for my sister's wedding.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheX said:

On a side note, I don't know a single person that has said that they aren't getting the shots.

Unfortunately I do have a good friend who is against the vaccine.  He's worried they haven't done enough studies with people who have asthma.  In fact he was offered it pretty early on, be LEO.  So we haven't hung out much anyhow, but now super worried about getting together as his exposure probability is thru the roof.  And my sister and brother law just had a baby, and they are super cautious right now.

Weird, how people think at times.

I luckily get my second shot no Sunday!!

28 minutes ago, Ericbike6 said:

We all weigh risks differently. Sometimes it's about feeling in control. I was cautious about the whole COVID thing, but I still ride on the road.  I'm afraid to do jumps and drops, but I've done some cat4-5 criteriums at The Driveway (honestly I think it's the most dangerous thing I've ever done).  I've also mixed it up with 50+ crazy type-A personalities racing Spec Miatas.  It's like the helmet or no helmet thing or the flying vs driving thing.  So on the self-risk thing no judgment.  I mostly worry about more variants getting made by more people getting it.  The faster we can tamp it down the faster we can eliminate or reduce the variants.

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

while I will get back into supporting the local economy and doing normal things again, I will still wear a mask for a while to come, even if I am 99% immune for the sake of solidarity with people who are not vaxxed. have you ever noticed how when you go into a place where everyone is covering up and ONE jackwagon is prancing around without it? they stick out and probably feel self-conscious about it, as they should feel. If I keep wearing mine, I don't make people who don't want to wear one feel like they can just fling it off and potentially infect everyone.

There is not enough data on this. The conventional wisdom is that if you can't get it, you can't spread it. Generally the belief is that there are a couple phases, including clean, infected but not asymptomatic, asymptomatic, and symptomatic. From what I have seen, in the first two cases you can't spread it, in the third case you *could* spread it and in the fourth case you are spreading it.

But, what do I know, I'm just a mediocre biker who spends a lot of time reading about this, I'm not an epidemiologist.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ericbike6 said:

Unfortunately I do have a good friend who is against the vaccine.  He's worried they haven't done enough studies with people who have asthma.  In fact he was offered it pretty early on, be LEO.  So we haven't hung out much anyhow, but now super worried about getting together as his exposure probability is thru the roof.  And my sister and brother law just had a baby, and they are super cautious right now.

My goal is to not hang out with those who are against it. Essentially this whole thing is an interesting experiment on society. I think I have learned way too much in the past year about people.

The biggest thing you learn is the me vs. us mentality. We're kinda all in this together whether we want to admit it or not.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

There is not enough data on this. The conventional wisdom is that if you can't get it, you can't spread it. Generally the belief is that there are a couple phases, including clean, infected but not asymptomatic, asymptomatic, and symptomatic. From what I have seen, in the first two cases you can't spread it, in the third case you *could* spread it and in the fourth case you are spreading it.

But, what do I know, I'm just a mediocre biker who spends a lot of time reading about this, I'm not an epidemiologist.

My understanding is that the vaccine prevents severe illness and hospitalization it does not prevent the illness itself. I will be getting my shots as soon as I can hopefully at the 90 day timeline after having had COVID that my doctor recommended. From what I've heard even though you have been fully immunized you can still get, carry and spread the virus. It's basically a higher transmissible version of the flu. My doctor recommended that I get only one shot because he said having had the virus is your first dose and that the first shot for me would be my second dose and boost my immunity significantly and that the second dose doesn't really do anything more. Like it's been mentioned an MTB forum may not be the best place to get information.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ericbike6 said:

I can't say there aren't reasons to be worried about the effects for some people. It's a tough spot. At the end of the day, it is a choice. I'm not going to judge.

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

Oh yeah I'm going to the R&I that first Tuesday I'm in the clear too!  I kinda feel like we should do some kind of big party at Pace Bend.

It's 2 months till my (first) Bentonville trip. Should be very clear of most of this. Would be cool to ride with some of y'all if anyone is going up there. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Like Albert said, a MTBing site is not the best place to get these answers...but we still do all come here and ask and answer.  🙂

A conclusive answer is indeed hard to find.  At this point what I've seen from experts is to be safe and mask.  But they also said spreading depends on:  how much virus is present, how much you shed, how infectious it is.  If you are immune and don't get sick, it doesn't mean you don't have any.  Whether you shed any or how much is a good question.  I think it's safe to assume how much you shed if you've had it or have been vaccinated is much less.  So far the sharply downward trending numbers seem to support this.  I certainly have not seen people be any more reserved about going out and going back to "normal".   My brother (a geeky BSEE/M.D. but not an immunologist/virologist) seems to think we can "go lick door knobs".  I think I will not.

I think first place for my wife and I after I get my 2nd shot will be to go to a movie at the Alamo Drafthouse, with drinks before.  I'm not sure I'll wear a mask at all.  Maybe by then more data will be out.  It's fun to start thinking about plans.  We already have a trip planned to the NE in July for my sister's wedding.

Is Alamo still open. Me and the Mrs are both immunized and attempted to buy tickets at flix brew house and the were closed indefinitely sighting lack of new film content and decreased business. Didn’t check Alamo.

6 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I'm not sure I'll wear a mask at all.  Maybe by then more data will be out.  It's fun to start thinking about plans.  

I'll still wear one if the store requires it, but that will be about it. I have a little time left, I just got the first jab, wife has her second next week. 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2021 at 10:46 AM, AustinBike said:

Continue to take safety measures, don't "totally relax" because you are not bullet proof. There will always be variants, and knowing that there are pockets of people who refuse to take the vaccine, variants are going to be a way of life.

So wear a mask forever? No thanks.