IGNORED

The vaccine

mack_turtle

Interesting question...

Should vaccine makers give away patents to speed up rollout?

I think this is one time when the answer should be yes. Compensate them of course, but it's time to get this out to everyone. I know that a LOT of people have had it, but it's impossible to know who. Just give it to everyone.

Edited by TheX

5 hours ago, TheX said:

So wear a mask forever? No thanks. 

I'm beginning to really relate to some of this sentiment.

A year ago this virus had us up in the night thinking this could be another 1918 incident. Fast forward a year later, and were almost out of the jungle. Youngest has had hers done and dusted for a couple weeks. Wife gets hers on the 1st from TEA so they can travel again and I'll follow shortly after.  Fine with me.

There has to be an end game to all of this. Our "leaders" and "experts" have been proven to really have no idea what this virus was going to do and how to handle it. I'm growing tired of all the fear and ready to get the god damned shot and move on. 

Imagine if everyone took their personal health  as seriously as they did this virus. They'd get off their assess, eat right, get off their phones and get some fucking sleep. They'd be a lot better off in life.  Further more, imagine if all of these politicians got off their assess and fixed the american healthcare instead of fixing the game.

Rant fucking off

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Chief said:

My understanding is that the vaccine prevents severe illness and hospitalization it does not prevent the illness itself. I will be getting my shots as soon as I can hopefully at the 90 day timeline after having had COVID that my doctor recommended.

Dude, seriously, your doctor recommended having COVID? OK, I'm no doctor but I would have gotten a second opinion on that one 😉

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, 4fun said:

Is Alamo still open. Me and the Mrs are both immunized and attempted to buy tickets at flix brew house and the were closed indefinitely sighting lack of new film content and decreased business. Didn’t check Alamo.

Yes.  I don't think they have new movies out but they have special events. I know they just had a LoTR special anniversary event. I just drove by the S. Austin one and parking lot was half full.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Yes.  I don't think they have new movies out but they have special events. I know they just had a LoTR special anniversary event. I just drove by the S. Austin one and parking lot was half full.

I hope some of that business comes back.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheX said:

I hope some of that business comes back.

If I'm any indication, I think it will hugely rebound back. At the beginning I was loving WFH, I don't need an office, just my lab space. I'm ready to go back to the office, have group lunches, happy hours, etc. All the stuff I've always taken for granted (including the R&I)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AntonioGG said:

including the R&I

@ATXZJ and I were discussing this earlier. Neither of us has been. April 23rd is my vaccine safe day. I'm not worried about exposure earlier, but I won't wear a mask to an outdoor event and I will be Pfizer safe by then. It is time to get back to living a more normal existence. I've been out and about the whole time, but riding/hiking solo.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, TheX said:

@ATXZJ and I were discussing this earlier. Neither of us has been. April 23rd is my vaccine safe day. I'm not worried about exposure earlier, but I won't wear a mask to an outdoor event and I will be Pfizer safe by then. It is time to get back to living a more normal existence. I've been out and about the whole time, but riding/hiking solo.

Same.  I've gone on the trail around people and such and take a mask with me if I see older folks with masks out of respect for them or I give them plenty of space.  I did do a gravel ride event but those are easy to do distancing with unlike MTB rides/races.  The biggest problem was some loose dogs did not want to social distance.

Outside of a backyard 6ft hang out with a friend while having a beer, talking over the fence with the neighbors, and going to work I've not done much socially.  I'm ready...and I'm a loner!

• Like 1

one of our favorite weekly rituals is watching Arsenal football (AKA soccer) at the Tavern downtown. The Tavern opens at 6 a.m. if necessary to accommodate Arsenal fans. it's a good time with a bunch of great folks. I have not seen any of them in over a year now. supposedly they space themselves out onto the patio and everyone stays masked up, but we're still not comfortable with it.

i've gone riding with a few small groups. I try to wear a mask most of the time but most people don't bother. I've been getting to know BCGB lately but when you have to take a long stretch of the Main Trail, it's crowded and there's nothing you can do about it. it's possible to ride with a stretchy mask on, but I don't know how effective it is and it gets swampy in there fast. defintely looking forward to not even thinking about that. I've been having dreams for months about going into a grocery store and realizing that I am the only person who isn't covered up. it's just like those dreams where you come to high school with no pants on.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

If you didn't see Arsenal for the last year you saved yourself a lot of pain. My wife is a Liverpool supporter and she can sympathize with you. They're turning it around now, but when you are on the second page of the table it's never a fun time.

We've watched some of the games at home. if it does not interfere with riding, we can steam some on Peacock or watch it on Univision. otherwise, we just listen for the score and watch the highlights later. however, I don't really follow the standings at all. my wife pays a lot more attention to that than I do. for me, it's the social atmosphere of sitting in a crowded bar, drinking a Thirsty Goat or two, and shouting at a TV with all the other maniacs.

otherwise, I mostly miss traveling. I have not seen family in a long time (spread out across the Midwest) and we had big plans for a Europe trip and to see the Pacific Northwest. I think all that pent-up demand like mine is going to EXPLODE the economy (in a good way) when it gets an outlet.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 2

Yeah, I miss sitting in a brewery post-ride with friends having a beer and mocking each others' riding skills.

Family in Chicago, haven's seen them in more than a year, but planning a road trip in June to rectify that. The France trip? Wife is a little more nervous about picking up on the one we canceled for last May. I will probably head to Germany in April 2022 with a friend to do some hiking, but she will not want to travel there still by then I am sure.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AustinBike said:

Dude, seriously, your doctor recommended having COVID? OK, I'm no doctor but I would have gotten a second opinion on that one 😉

Could have worded that better😆. I had COVID and recently went for a follow up. What I meant to say was that because I've had COVID my doctor said that all I would need is the first shot and that the second shot wouldn't boost my immune response any further. He didn't recommend anyone getting COVID. 

His entire office including himself got infected by one patient that was asymptomatic. He said he was only getting the first shot also. 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2021 at 4:50 PM, TheX said:

This should be done in a logical, centralized manner. APH could be our hub. Everyone signs up, and you are placed in the appropriate group based on eligibility.

When does are available, you get notified and have a set period of time to confirm. If you don't your slot goes to the next person.

You should get a place and date/time.

This has been my experience. Everybody I talk to is scurrying around finding ways to work the system and get their vaccine ahead of people who probably should be prioritized ahead of them. At 62 I'm still outside of the highest priority groupings but you would think that the system should be accommodating me in some way at this point. Instead, I have to compete with folks half my age who are willing to jump through any hoop necessary to get a damn shot. I could have gotten jabbed yesterday - in f'n Marble Falls! The only precaution I've taken over the past year is mask wearing inside public places (except when seated at a table inside the restaurants I've been frequenting the whole time). If it is that damn important to everybody else to be among the first to get vaccinated, then I'm happy to wait at the back of the line until it is made more convenient for me.   

On 3/26/2021 at 2:05 PM, TheX said:

Got my first jab at HEB. They really have their shit together.

What was your experience there? Were you able to just walk right in and get a shot? I checked CVS website and there is nothing available. They caution that appointments get scooped up as quickly as they become available! Like you said previously, I should be able to just leave my information with somebody and get a phone call when it's my time. Does it really have to be anymore complicated than that?  

1 hour ago, throet said:

What was your experience there? Were you able to just walk right in and get a shot? 

I had to hit the website over and over and over again. I was looking for anything within 100 miles, finally got one that happened to be just a few miles away. My appointment was at 1:42, got the 20 minutes early. They looked at my ID, took my pre-printed forms and gave me the jab all within 5 minutes. The CVS website was more confusing for me since I wasn't sure where some of the cities were in relation to Austin area. HEB listed how many miles the stores were from my location. The lady that gave me my jab said that they should be ramping up to 400 a day per HEB.

On a side note. I felt fairly crappy that night and the next morning, but this morning I'm back to normal, less than 48 hours later. Rode 15 WC miles and felt great.

For the people that are worried about anti-vax'ers causing variants, that's not where the problem is. It's in other countries where 10's of millions of people live in less than ideal, slum conditions with no health care at all. Do people actually think India's numbers are as low as worldometer claims? Instead of judging people that have what may be valid concerns about the vaccine, put efforts into helping other places. Allow more companies to produce these vaccines, patents be damned. More vaccine, less fearful people...even though a lot of them have had it and never knew, fear is fear, justified or not.

Oh yeah, heard an interesting conversation today about the *UK variant*. From one of the people that were fashionably offended by *Wuhan virus* claiming it was racist. In a world working toward equality for all. Either both are racist, or neither. For me, it's neither.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheX said:

For the people that are worried about anti-vax'ers causing variants, that's not where the problem is. It's in other countries where 10's of millions of people live in less than ideal, slum conditions with no health care at all. Do people actually think India's numbers are as low as worldometer claims? Instead of judging people that have what may be valid concerns about the vaccine, put efforts into helping other places. Allow more companies to produce these vaccines, patents be damned. More vaccine, less fearful people...even though a lot of them have had it and never knew, fear is fear, justified or not.

This is an extremely good point.  I don't know what I personally can do about that.  For me it's the whole Thing Global Act Local thing.  I think already government has been involved in negotiating licenses and now more places can produce more vaccines.  Hopefully they're cranking out syringes and all that stuff needed to get it done. 

I also heard good things about HEB method at least at one we've heard about.  They do 6 people at a time (for Pfizer) so that the vial is only open if they know they will use all the shots.  They're also obviously using the more efficient syringes to get 6 shots instead of just 5 shots for Pfizer.

7 hours ago, throet said:

This has been my experience. Everybody I talk to is scurrying around finding ways to work the system and get their vaccine ahead of people who probably should be prioritized ahead of them. At 62 I'm still outside of the highest priority groupings but you would think that the system should be accommodating me in some way at this point. Instead, I have to compete with folks half my age who are willing to jump through any hoop necessary to get a damn shot. I could have gotten jabbed yesterday - in f'n Marble Falls! The only precaution I've taken over the past year is mask wearing inside public places (except when seated at a table inside the restaurants I've been frequenting the whole time). If it is that damn important to everybody else to be among the first to get vaccinated, then I'm happy to wait at the back of the line until it is made more convenient for me.   

What was your experience there? Were you able to just walk right in and get a shot? I checked CVS website and there is nothing available. They caution that appointments get scooped up as quickly as they become available! Like you said previously, I should be able to just leave my information with somebody and get a phone call when it's my time. Does it really have to be anymore complicated than that?  

If you live a certain lifestyle (able to drive, able to take just about any appointment, then the folks at AustinBike World Headquarters might be able to help. We have an entire department dedicated to getting people jabbed. Basically you give us all of your info and parameters, we make you an *@austinbike.com email address and then we can manage it. If an appointment comes up we just grab it and then send you the appropriate info. It’s not for everyone, but we’ve got a pretty good track record.  

I’d recommend getting on every surrounding county’s list, all have come through for me about a week after I got mine from Walgreens. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 5:10 PM, Chief said:

My understanding is that the vaccine prevents severe illness and hospitalization it does not prevent the illness itself. 

I had to dig back to reply to this.  I think all the vaccines have a very high (some 100%) efficacy as far as preventing severe illness or hospitalization.  Where they vary a bit more is in preventing illness.  Now how do you define "illness" with a virus that has had very high asymptomatic rates is a good question.  I found out about the hard reaction to the 1st shot for people that have had COVID by reading some comments on a sports blog.  A lot of people are finding out they had COVID at some point solely by their reaction to their first shot.  I then had to do some more reading about it.  I agree with your Dr. about that shot being like your booster.  A lot of Drs are playing it safe and recommend the 2nd shot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AustinBike said:

If you live a certain lifestyle (able to drive, able to take just about any appointment, then the folks at AustinBike World Headquarters might be able to help. We have an entire department dedicated to getting people jabbed. Basically you give us all of your info and parameters, we make you an *@austinbike.com email address and then we can manage it. If an appointment comes up we just grab it and then send you the appropriate info. It’s not for everyone, but we’ve got a pretty good track record.

That's generous, and I sincerely appreciate the public service you are offering! I'm on conference calls at least half of every day during every week, and then trying to get work done the rest of the time. I can adjust my schedule if I know far enough in advance that I need to take time away. Unfortunately though I can't just drop everything and run off to an appointment with a day's or hour's notice. If I have the option to just keep rejecting opportunities that surface until the right one arises, then this might work for me.