IGNORED

The vaccine

mack_turtle

Latest CDC vaccine good news: In a study of 4000+ medical, 1st responders, essential workers and teachers that got vaccinated Dec to March, Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are 90 percent effective at preventing infection after 2 doses. 80 percent effective after 1 dose! Note, this is not preventing severe disease, or symptoms, this is infection! The subjects did nasal swabs weekly and if they had symptoms they also sent saliva sample. This is one of the first real-world thorough study and it's important b/c of fear of vaccine viability, temperatures, usage, etc. Next questions: does the 2nd dose mean you have protection for longer vs 1 dose? Also next step same data but for other vaccines.

Also Great Britain nailed it going for one dose for everyone before 2nd dose.

Yay Science!

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021/p0329-COVID-19-Vaccines.html

• Like 4

All of the appointments would be for the following day or two. We can also just inundate you with texts every time we find one, but that gets cumbersome on both ends. In that case you need to respond quickly because they disappear. We did that with someone who was real attentive. Basically it is "hey, Walgreens has 4 openings for tomorrow at X location" and they would log in and try to get them. A less efficient process but it works for some people.

my niece just turned 12 and she was beyond eager to get into a COVID trial for a kids vaccine. they (the people running the trial) would not let her sign up for a trail until her actual birthday. when the day rolled around, she tried to sign up and all the slots were full. she was gutted that she could not throw herself in as a guinea pig for science. she told me she didn't care so much about getting the vaccine as she wanted to be part of the solution. I have hope for this generation.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, notyal said:

I was wondering about this. I got my first and currently in that 3 week window until my second. Admittedly, I've been way more lax since getting that first one.

I should clarify that the effectiveness numbers are 2 weeks after each shot.  2 weeks after my 1st I was assuming I was at 50% effectiveness and way more relaxed while still being cautious.  Most of my caution was b/c as I've mentioned before, if I went >1 year without getting sick then within weeks of my 2nd shot I got sick, I'd feel like I pulled a Leon Lett.  I don't want to feel like Leon Lett.

https://gfycat.com/frayedornateimperatorangel

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

Got mine scheduled for the 3rd at CVS

Close to your home? Seems I didn't see any nearby availability when I checked their site a few days ago. I finally broke down and scheduled to get mine through BS&W in Marble Falls tomorrow morning. Definitely further than I care to go but it gives me a good excuse for a scenic drive and breakfast at the Blue Bonnet Cafe.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, throet said:

Close to your home? Seems I didn't see any nearby availability when I checked their site a few days ago. I finally broke down and scheduled to get mine through BS&W in Marble Falls tomorrow morning. Definitely further than I care to go but it gives me a good excuse for a scenic drive and breakfast at the Blue Bonnet Cafe.  

I love that drive! Just make a day out of it and hike Inks Lake while you're at it. Bear King Brewing is across the street from Bluebonnet and it's worth another stop for the food and beer. looks like they heavily renovated since I was there last, too. I've heard that drinking alcohol right after the vaccine is not a good idea though.

• Like 3

Just now, mack_turtle said:

I love that drive! Just make a day out of it and hike Inks Lake while you're at it. Bear King Brewing is across the street from Bluebonnet and it's worth another stop for the food and beer. looks like they heavily renovated since I was there last, too. I've heard that drinking alcohol right after the vaccine is not a good idea though.

Park Road 4 is a blast on a Ducati Superbike. I have no idea how many laps I've done out there. Love that area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, throet said:

CVS on Lake Austin BLVD and I live off I-35/1626 area so not bad at all. OWE my wife big time for managing all this for us. 

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 3

one of the "foundations" in Moral Foundation Theory is the Sanctity/degradation principle. I have no doubt that anti-vaxxers would score off the charts for their concern over "impurity." having this concern is a healthy part of every balanced person's life, but when it's not tempered with knowledge and reason, you get ... anti-vaxxers.

• Like 1

*sigh*

I can't have grapefruit, messes with my heart meds.

I'm not trying to say that the vaccine doesn't have the potential to harm some people. We don't have a lot of (any) long term info but for 99.+% of people it is the only sane choice. My sister has a lot of medical issues and she is refusing it. Are her fears valid? I have no idea, but I doubt it.

51 minutes ago, TheX said:

I'm shocked at how many people are saying that masks should still be required, even after everyone is vaccinated.

Fuck that.

Who? Where? The internet has a tendency to amplify ignorance, so there might be a fair amount of that.

On the other hand, I want people to continue to stay six feet away just because I want people to stay the fuck away from my personal space in general.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Who? Where? The internet has a tendency to amplify ignorance, so there might be a fair amount of that.

The CDC. Largely we don't yet know the vaccines' efficiency on the new variants. We're in a race to stamp down the virus we know before the variants we don't know get a foothold and begin all this garbage again. 

• Like 1