IGNORED

The vaccine

mack_turtle

• 7 months later...

Curious how many folks who've been vaccinated / boosted succumbed to this latest wave of COVID? Our entire household is fully vaccinated but only my mother-in-law who is here visiting had been boosted. Anyway, our 25-yr old attended some sort of event, ended up getting COVID and passing it along to the rest of us. We all only experienced mild symptoms, including my mother-in-law who is high-risk. I'm scheduled to get my booster next week, but now I'm wondering if I should wait a while since I probably got an immunity boost from the COVID infection.   

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, throet said:

Curious how many folks who've been vaccinated / boosted succumbed to this latest wave of COVID? Our entire household is fully vaccinated but only my mother-in-law who is here visiting had been boosted. Anyway, our 25-yr old attended some sort of event, ended up getting COVID and passing it along to the rest of us. We all only experienced mild symptoms, including my mother-in-law who is high-risk. I'm scheduled to get my booster next week, but now I'm wondering if I should wait a while since I probably got an immunity boost from the COVID infection.   

I glad to hear everyone in the family with only mild cases. Seems like people at my work are dropping like flies and I haven’t heard of anything but mild cases with any of them so far. Since it seems the prevailing though is that this new variant is 70x more contagious i hope the cases keep staying mild. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 4fun said:

Since it seems the prevailing though is that this new variant is 70x more contagious i hope the cases keep staying mild. 

I’m sure this is optimistic…but I’ve been hoping Omicron is the cure for Covid. Super contagious and pretty mild. Herd immunity incoming?

• Like 4

Unfortunately all of the protocols don't seem to be helping much. The reality is we will all get covid at some point whether unvaccinated, vaccinated or boosted. Me personally am done with all of the BS that has been associated with this mess. The virus is obviously going to have its way with us. The upside is that it seems to be getting weaker as far as symptoms and complications go. If this is the case @barry might be onto something. What happened to "the vaccine will get us to herd immunity"🤣. What a joke.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Barry said:

I’m sure this is optimistic…but I’ve been hoping Omicron is the cure for Covid. Super contagious and pretty mild for the vaccinated. Herd immunity incoming?

There is not a clear indication that it is milder for the unvaccinated. The hospitals have fewer people in them and that is making people say it is less severe, but that basically just means that the vaccinated are not showing up in the hospital, just riding it out at home.

Remember when the vaccine first came out, it was all about reducing the risk of hospitalization and death. The fact that it also reduced infections was a side benefit but not part of the original promise. Too many people took that benefit as fact. That assumption is problematic because some of the vaccinated believed they were bulletproof and some of the unvaccinated used it to try to prove their point that "vaccines don't work." 

As a boosted Pfizer boy I still being ultra safe, we'll get through this quickly.

• Like 1

I got Pfizer for the first and second round, Moderna booster. While I know I am not bulletproof, this gives me peace of mind that if or when I get it, it most likely won't kill me. It's going to suck and I'm more worried about "long covid" and spreading it to others if I don't know I am contagious. still not messing around in public: masks whenever possible, not going to crowded bars and such. while I like to curse our hot climate here, I'm enjoying the mild winter so far. 

Several family members in other states have gotten covid. one died in October from it. the one who died refused to get vaccinated for stupid reasons. everyone else just had what felt like a really crappy flu.

Edited by mack_turtle

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

I got Pfizer for the first and second round, Moderna booster. While I know I am not bulletproof, this gives me peace of mind that if or when I get it, it most likely won't kill me. It's going to suck and I'm more worried about "long covid" and spreading it to others if I don't know I am contagious. still not messing around in public: masks whenever possible, not going to crowded bars and such. while I like to curse our hot climate here, I'm enjoying the mild winter so far. 

Several family members in other states have gotten covid. one died in October from it. the one who died refused to get vaccinated for stupid reasons. everyone else just had what felt like a really crappy flu.

That's really unfortunate about your family member. I have a family member that is anti-vax and an ardent supporter of multiple conspiracy theories. He was down for 7 weeks with COVID, and even after seeing other vaccinated family members suffer only mild symptoms, he's still not a believer in the vaccine. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, throet said:

Dude, sorry you're dealing with this over the holidays. Hopefully this will be the hump for you guys to get over, and put the rona' behind you for a while. I'd wait to get jabbed for as long as you feel comfortable and see how things play out.

Wife and daughter are boosted. I'm double pfizer as of april with no plans for further boosting. Daughter works at starbucks and has been surrounded by coworkers who came down with the rona recently. Multiple tests for she and my wife. Nothing.

We've been on a fairly decent diet for a few years now of raw fruit & vegetables daily with a shitload of supplements. All anecdotal but so far, so good.  

14 hours ago, Barry said:

I’m sure this is optimistic…but I’ve been hoping Omicron is the cure for Covid. Super contagious and pretty mild. Herd immunity incoming?

Man, I'm with you on this. Weeks ahead of the media, the one guy I still listen to regarding covid, was saying omicron is going to be a turning point for the pandemic. I sure hope it is.

5 hours ago, Chief said:

What happened to "the vaccine will get us to herd immunity"🤣. What a joke.

You mean like when we were told "if you get vaccinated you cant catch or spread covid"? I still remember all the illustrations of the vaccine covering the spikes on the protein making it "almost impossible to get covid, regardless of variant". We see how that worked out. 

Too many people talking out of their asses, with one bat-midget in particular 

I'm at the point of no longer calling it a vaccine, and rather just a treatment as people are still getting re-infected and sick. The Inactivated poliovirus vaccine is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of a real vaccine. 

Also with you on being done with the collective fear an mass formation in america. The pharma industrial complex has cashed in big time using our tax dollars. I fear they, and the grifters in politics and media are not going to let go of this very easily. It feels like covid is the new "war on terror". Remember the color coded threat levels that we were all supposed to clutch our pearls over? What acts of terrorism happened in your city? Nothing, that's what happened. The same that's happening now. Nothing.

Wife & I have been hitting the restaurants and bars in multiple cities/states like we did pre-pandemic with no mask since this spring. We did a year of locking down and being pumped full of fear and pharma so we could go out and have a life again. Now i'm being told that wasn't enough and to stay home and get more shots. Fuck you. I'm particularly frustrated with the team/tribe mentality when it comes to all this. All because of dogshit politics, people have suspended disbelief. Remember, pharma companies like pfizer have recently paid the largest criminal fines in history. Lets also not forget J&J who used bankruptcy to get out of paying their judgement for knowingly selling a product that gives people cancer. Do not trust any of them. 

Anyone that wants to get the jab, should have free access to one. Particularly people that are at risk. It's your call and your body, just like having the option of stuffing your face full of wendy's and being a little piggy. It's also anyone's choice that doesn't want to get the jab, and there shouldn't be any restrictions or mandates.

Bring me a real cure for covid and we can talk, otherwise get used to living with this because we're all gonna get it.

/rant mother fucking off

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, AustinBike said:

There is not a clear indication that it is milder for the unvaccinated. The hospitals have fewer people in them and that is making people say it is less severe, but that basically just means that the vaccinated are not showing up in the hospital, just riding it out at home.

Remember when the vaccine first came out, it was all about reducing the risk of hospitalization and death. The fact that it also reduced infections was a side benefit but not part of the original promise. Too many people took that benefit as fact. That assumption is problematic because some of the vaccinated believed they were bulletproof and some of the unvaccinated used it to try to prove their point that "vaccines don't work." 

As a boosted Pfizer boy I still being ultra safe, we'll get through this quickly.

I think your remembering wrong. I think your getting it confused with the original 15 days to slow the spread, original masking request and lockdowns. I’m pretty sure when the vaccines first came out our now current president and Vice President both for political reasons said they wouldn’t trust a vaccine rolled out that quickly. Since the end of January this year the goal post on the vaccines have changed many times.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

It's going to suck and I'm more worried about "long covid"

I feel like this is a popular argument currently. I feel like there isn’t a definitive definition of this expression. When I hear that phrase I think of cases with permanent lung damage or heart arrhythmias after 6 months. My wife thinks it means continuing to feel tired after having it.  

Edited by 4fun

1 hour ago, 4fun said:

I’m pretty sure when the vaccines first came out our now current president and Vice President both for political reasons said they wouldn’t trust a vaccine rolled out that quickly. 

Yes, that little bit of hypocrisy is wonderful isn't it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4fun said:

I’m pretty sure when the vaccines first came out our now current president and Vice President both for political reasons said they wouldn’t trust a vaccine rolled out that quickly. 

I think you are conflating his statements. He said he trusted vaccines.

He said this:

Biden said Americans should trust a coronavirus vaccine developed under the Trump administration only if the president gives “honest answers” to questions about its safety, effectiveness and equitable distribution. “I trust vaccines. I trust scientists. But I don’t trust Donald Trump,” Biden said. “And at this point, the American people can’t, either.”

Here is the proof:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/biden-trump-coronavirus-vaccine/2020/09/16/2ffbea6a-f831-11ea-a275-1a2c2d36e1f1_story.html

And if you only believe certain outlets, here is what they had to say, it's in there but they buried the statement:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-says-he-trusts-scientists-on-vaccine-but-i-dont-trust-donald-trump

Conflation? I trust the scientists, I trust vaccines, but I don’t trust this vaccine because my political opponent cut down the red tape for the scientists I trust to get it to me faster. Not a political move at all. Almost like saying Pfizer is an evil corporation that is only after profits at any cost and in the next breath saying if you question the efficacy/safety of the Pfizer’s vaccine your anti-science.

20 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

I'd wait to get jabbed for as long as you feel comfortable and see how things play out.

We're going to go ahead and get boosted since we're no longer having any symptoms. Politics and profiteering aside, really just comes down to whether we believe the vaccine / booster affords us enhanced protection or not. Based on the available data and our own personal experiences, we believe that the vaccine / booster is still the best way forward. Getting my third Pfizer jab tomorrow at Randalls and will report back on any ill effects.

Speaking of wellness, hoping to get out for a nice ride this afternoon. Been trapped up for far too long over the holidays!    

• Like 6

12 hours ago, throet said:

Based on the available data and our own personal experiences, we believe that the vaccine / booster is still the best way forward.

I wish everyone was as level headed as you with this statement. 

Many people look at the available data and their own experiences and feel differently, and that is OK, too. 

• Like 1

OK, let me start by stating I am not anti vax I have been vaccinated. I have also had the virus, Delta strain. I'd also like to say that you do whatever you feel is best for you. But this is information that the mainstream sources have not really promoted. If you watch the video you will see how certain points are omitted and how the main goal is for people to get boosters. Meanwhile there are medical experts that have different opinions. Just some food for thought. So in this The NY Times is stating that boosters may have negative effect on your immune system in one statement but then in another they say go get the booster. This is why I have no faith in the mainstream media or the information that we are being fed. We need to get information from sources that have no dog in the fight. Granted Jimmy can be polarizing and his YouTube channel is how he makes money, but you can't argue with Dr. Campbell his channel is not monetized so he has no agenda aside from educating people with valid information.  

• Like 1

I have a quantifiable deficit in confidence of leadership. The same people directly or indirectly responsible for the creation, mishandling, and profiteering of this pandemic, are going to lead us out?

Hard pass

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 4:06 PM, Chief said:

OK, let me start by stating I am not anti vax I have been vaccinated. I have also had the virus, Delta strain. I'd also like to say that you do whatever you feel is best for you. But this is information that the mainstream sources have not really promoted. If you watch the video you will see how certain points are omitted and how the main goal is for people to get boosters. Meanwhile there are medical experts that have different opinions. Just some food for thought. So in this The NY Times is stating that boosters may have negative effect on your immune system in one statement but then in another they say go get the booster. This is why I have no faith in the mainstream media or the information that we are being fed. We need to get information from sources that have no dog in the fight. Granted Jimmy can be polarizing and his YouTube channel is how he makes money, but you can't argue with Dr. Campbell his channel is not monetized so he has no agenda aside from educating people with valid information.  

I couldn't get past the first minute with this guy. Campbell is a good source of information, but I'm not drawing the same conclusions from his research that this guy is. For me it comes down to 1) believing that we are in fact dealing with a global pandemic, and 2) agreeing that attacking it head on is the best defense for the "greater good", while accepting some degree of risk in the process. 

Edited by throet
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Well, after nearly 2.5 years, I finally caught the Rona. Started with bubble-gut and diarrhea the first or second day in telluride last week. No respiratory issues until Thursday night when I began experiencing a dry cough. Friday's ride on the high altitude xc trails was brutal, and had me completely gassed.

Tested positive Monday with fever, cough, and fatigue as symptoms. Currently on paxlovid, with no fever and taking the week off .

Blarf

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Sad 2

47 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Well, after nearly 2.5 years, I finally caught the Rona.

Are you on a trip? Getting any kind of sick on a trip is the worst. It's happened to me several times with 24 hour+ stomach bugs of food poisoning on MTB trips.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Barry said:

Are you on a trip? Getting any kind of sick on a trip is the worst. It's happened to me several times with 24 hour+ stomach bugs of food poisoning on MTB trips.  

Dude, got back Sunday thankfully. You are 100% right about getting sick on trips. Sucks so bad. 

Was chewing tums all last week. Certainly didn't curtail our drinking 🤣

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2