IGNORED

trail photography

mack_turtle

I recently acquired a nice DSLR. oddly enough, I have a degree in Journalism with an emphasis in photojournalism, but I haven't taken a photo other than snapshots with my phone in years! The first thing holding me back is a way to carry a "big" camera on my bike in a way that is comfortable for me and secure for the camera. anyone else have a nice system for this? I have a small Tamron shoulder bag but I think it will bounce and swing around on my back and needs a lot more padding. a lot of the camera bags on the market seem to be designed for carrying an arsenal of gear, but I just need to carry one camera with a short zoom lens. maybe I'll add a flash.

if anyone wants to see a trail/ feature, event, or athlete photographed, I could use the practice.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

I have a Camelback that has enough room. I have to leave my gimbal at home of course. Haha. I have a Sony a6400 that is fairly small, but I have an A7Rii with a full frame sensor that I like for more important things. I rarely take one on the bike unless I have a specific purpose in mind.

gimbal.thumb.jpg.d13a2b8fdf30cc23a8f8c18a33cf6ac7.jpg

• Like 1

I learned long ago that putting too much effort into photographing riding leads to NOT enjoying the ride. so I'll take this with me when I'm on a specific mission to document something. I might have to just pad up the camera and stuff it in my Osprey pack, which I have only used once in a long while. I've been moving to water bottles only with a hip pack for small items.

I've packed my D40 into my Ergon pack.  At some point I got a point and shoot Lumix.  $100 and takes great pictures..and it's $100 and the D40 rarely came out after that. 

What kind of camera and do you need accessories? I may have some extra stuff I can't use depending on which camera.  I also found some stuff that belongs to that action camera I gave you a while back.

2 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

What kind of camera and do you need accessories? I may have some extra stuff I can't use depending on which camera.  I also found some stuff that belongs to that action camera I gave you a while back.

Sony A57. I would love to find a fixed length lens like 24mm for it at some point because that would make it more compact. The F3.5 is rather limiting. My favorite combo was my old Nikon FM2 with a 28mm lens. Not sure what the smaller sensor would require to get the same feeling. "If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough,"I right? I think I remember what to do with a flash. I have to wonder if it would sync with an old Vivitar 285hv because those seemed like lightsabers to me.

Man it feels good to have full manual control over exposure again though!

20210326_191359.thumb.jpg.f2365667e705228729ab2121e6b673bb.jpg

@AustinBike ended up with that camera. I didn't have a computer powerful enough to deal with processing the video files. 

Edited by mack_turtle

23 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I recently acquired a nice DSLR. oddly enough, I have a degree in Journalism with an emphasis in photojournalism, but I haven't taken a photo other than snapshots with my phone in years! The first thing holding me back is a way to carry a "big" camera on my bike in a way that is comfortable for me and secure for the camera. anyone else have a nice system for this? I have a small Tamron shoulder bag but I think it will bounce and swing around on my back and needs a lot more padding. a lot of the camera bags on the market seem to be designed for carrying an arsenal of gear, but I just need to carry one camera with a short zoom lens. maybe I'll add a flash.

if anyone wants to see a trail/ feature, event, or athlete photographed, I could use the practice.

What about stuffing the small shoulder bag into a bigger regular backpack? I used to carry a full-size camera in its padded case, along with tripod, lunch, snacks, extra drinks, etc. in a NorthFace backpack for all-day rides in the Cascades where I spent as much time taking pictures as I did riding. I know some folks don't like having that much weight on their back, but it really never bothered me, especially considering how often I was stopping to take pictures, eat, etc. 

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a harness and a small pack for my dslr. holds camera on chest, with a, mostly, easy top opening case just big enough to hold camera.  I can post a pic when I get home from work.

Camera I bought it for is a direct ancestor to that Sony alpha...Maxxum 5D.

Edit: top loading camera bag with Lowepro chest harness. Had a seamstress see a couple d-rings to bottom of bag. Had an actual Lowepro bag, but that thing was massive, much too bulky to ride with. This little bag works well enough.

20210407_073146.jpg

Edited by jcarneytx
  • Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 3:07 PM, TheX said:

I've used a backpack for so many years, it feels strange without it. Even on the Ducati, I always had the backpack with me.

One reason I rarely road my motorcycle to work was having to either use a tank bag or a backpack; I hated both.  And the planning and extra clothes I'd need to stash at work on a weekly basis is another prevention. 

4 hours ago, jcarneytx said:

I bought a harness and a small pack for my dslr. holds camera on chest, with a, mostly, easy top opening case just big enough to hold camera.  I can post a pic when I get home from work.

Camera I bought it for is a direct ancestor to that Sony alpha...Maxxum 5D.

Edit: top loading camera bag with Lowepro chest harness. Had a seamstress see a couple d-rings to bottom of bag. Had an actual Lowepro bag, but that thing was massive, much too bulky to ride with. This little bag works well enough.

20210407_073146.jpg

Perfect! I would feel comfortable bringing a camera with me on some rides if I had something like this. when searching retail for that, what am I looking for? also seems like something that would be easy to find on the used market, but I don't know what I am looking for.

Here's the harness I use, or close enough. https://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Topload-Chest-Harness-Toploader/dp/B0029ZA49Q

for bag, might be a bit harder to find. I was able to find this small bag on craigslist (fits dslr with 50mm lens easily. Also works with a 110-200 zoom.) Most bags like this are not setup for harness, which is why I found a seamstress (craigslist again) to sew D-rings onto bottom so I could attach the harness. (I cut the d-rings from something else, don't remember what) 

It has very minimal padding, not something you'd want to land on (I don't think I've ever landed on chest when crashing; head/back, knees/elbows, sure, but not chest.) 

Just search for top-loading camera bag, then pick one you'd think would work. I did originally get a Lowepro bag, but it was a bit ungainly for riding with, so I sold it and found this bag. Guess I could've put camera in pic, but the opening is about the width of a normal dslr, so it's not overly large. 

• Thanks 1