IGNORED

SATN North GPX file

west

Thanks everyone.  I didn't have any luck being able to do anything with that Google link (I tried a bunch of different things with it), but I was able to recreate a lot of the route in alltrails just by looking at the map they have and following the lines.

It was one helluva a nice day for riding!

On hosting GPX files and other map files, I have a server we could put this on, but honestly I do think it'd make a lot more sense to put it on one of the Austin Mountain Bike websites.  The files aren't that big if done right.  The recreated SATN north map I made using alltrails was just ~150KB.

20 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

all three routes are here 

there are some new trails in that area that might make for some interesting alternatives.

It will be a little work, but yes, the next SATN Social will probably change up the routes to take advantage of all the new trail. It keeps getting better a better. I'm pretty sure we've got over 110 miles now. The new Dirtway 45 is just under two miles.

Edited by The Tip

19 minutes ago, The Tip said:

It will be a little work, but yes, the next SATN Social will probably change up the routes to take advantage of all the new trail. It keeps getting better a better. I'm pretty sure we've got over 110 miles now. The new Dirtway 45 is just under two miles.

I rode that on the gravel bike the other day, then crossed Bear Creek on foot and rode back up the hill to the paved bike path to 1626. any idea what the plan for that trail is? a second, parallel trail going back? or should we turn around under the bridge at the creek and take the paved route back?

Edited by mack_turtle

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

. any idea what the plan for that trail is? a second, parallel trail going back? or should we turn around under the bridge at the creek and take the paved route back?

That is probably what the builder was thinking, to ride dirt to Bear Creek then turn around and ride the sidewalk back to the 45/Mopac intersection. But if enough people ride Dirtway 45, then the single track would probably be extended to Bliss Spillar. I've seen a couple of Strava rides where they just came from Bliss Spillar, crossed at Bear Creek, and continued north on the single track. So there is already new routing possibilities.

There isn't enough room between the fence and the highway for a parallel trail. I've also seen on Strava that there is a lot of just doing an out and back on it. I give my blessing to this, overriding my "don't repeat trail" mantra!  😄

59 minutes ago, The Tip said:

I give my blessing to this, overriding my "don't repeat trail" mantra!  😄

it's not really the same trail if you ride it both ways. when riding with a group, this is a bad idea because you'll be competing with riders at the back of the line coming the other way, but for small groups, it makes sense. 

20210320_154708.thumb.jpg.fc9539d6da2e48eabd0ee468e059ef46.jpg

• Like 1