IGNORED

Hiking (non-biking) Weekend destinations? 4-6 hours from Austin

AustinBike

Looking to do some hiking with a friend. Maybe biking if there is a longish, flat trail like town lake (he is not a biker).

Ideally we could get there on a tank of gas and not have to do any rest stops (covid-safe traveling).

Tent camping is all we need, not many amenities as long as there is at least a lake to wash of in and a cold cooler of beer at the end of the day. (So I think this rules out state parks).

Anyone have any good ideas?

Edited by AustinBike

That's a fantastic suggestion actually.

Second this. It has great views, central Texas gnar, not too crowded, and is close. Less driving, more hiking. Park at overlook and hike in to Walnut springs if you want to stay on the North side. That gives you a good trek and you pass through Russel and Hogg for more water or if you need to bail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Enchanted rock? During the week should be quiet.

Garner State Park - totally different scenery.

Kerrville - can’t remember the name of the park but it’s right there on the river. The hiking is through some cool cedar forests. Chill hike and then paddle around or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing I can think of within driving distance is really "camping" worthy.  Maybe Lake Georgetown, if you can camp on it (I'm not sure).

Garner State Park - Nice, but a bit of a drive for what it is.  And be prepared to not be able to pass anyone, no matter how slow they slow down to during the turns, during long parts of the drive out there.  When there is a rare passing section, don't be surprised if there's also a cop behind a tree who doesn't give a damn if you're going faster than the speed limit was in an attempt to quickly and prudently pass an old Grandma 🙂

Balcones Canyon Lands Doeskin Ranch - Pretty and close.  Somewhat short depending on your hiking preferences.

Madrone at Canyon Lake - More of a mountain bike path imo.  I've hiked it a few times and it's pretty ho-hum.

3 hours ago, Leafkiller said:

It's a state park but Mineral Wells has a lot of that including some rock climbing if you are into that. I'm actually planning on a solo hike and camp trip up there next week.

The Mineral Wells Trailway (rail trail) is as flat as can be and great for cycling.  Lake Mineral Wells State Park & Trailway

State parks are suggesting reservations for overnight and day use.   More popular parks are full up for spring already, at least on weekends.

Lake Georgetown is a great suggestion -- a good hike and the Corps of Engineers campgrounds are always well maintained. 

Inks Lake State Park, ~ an hour from Austin -- 9 miles of hiking trails, according to their web site.  

Also Colorado Bend State Park.  The website says 35 miles of hiking/biking trails. 

Edited by June Bug
  • Like 1

Lost Maples SP has some good back country hiking and camping.

Camp Eagle has one of their Adventure Weekends coming up April 9-11. You won't find a much nicer swimming hole. https://campeagle.org/retreats/adventure-weekends/ -- discretion with the beer required

If you are willing to push it, Guadalupe Mountains NP has some epic hiking. 

And you can drink in State Parks, they mostly just don't allow 'public display or consumption'.

Edited by GFisher

If you go to mineral Wells you could possibly do a 2fer and hit Dino Valley SP too. I’ve known a few people that went to MW and the trailway is a rails-to-trails. so flat wide railroad grade easier grade than Southern Walnut Creek.

Garner is pretty but a freakin zoo on the weekends and the Frio lives up to its name. [emoji3063] There’s a cool bat cave to visit on private property just south of there if the freetails have made it up yet. Lost Maples was a better hike to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk