IGNORED

812 MTB Suspension - closed?

TAF

20 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

thread derail: what aspects of suspension service are you unwilling to do at home or leave with a local shop?

(a) none of it

(b) I'd want the shop to be certified, and I'll never let Cycle Progression near my shocks

5 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

weird. I just replaced the bath oil and wipers on my Fox fork. took me less than 30 minutes with basic tools. it's not hard.

It's probably not hard. I don't have a garage or a real workspace, and I prefer just to spend my free time riding, playing geetar, hanging out at beer joints, etc -- not wrenching in the driveway.

• Like 1

thread derail: what aspects of suspension service are you unwilling to do at home or leave with a local shop?
I think my fork needs more love as the rebound adjuster no longer adjusts.
That would indicate to me that it needs more that the basic service.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, rockshins said:

What happened with Cycle Progression? Have thought about using them in the past. 

In my experience, and the experience of people I know, they've botched a good number of fork overhauls and other repair work. Possibly that mechanic has moved on. Some people will tell you they love em, but I won't be taking my bikes there.

What happened with Cycle Progression? Have thought about using them in the past. 

Any criticism is anecdotal. No offense to TAF but I doubt he knows a statistically significantly amount of people who have had a negative experience with CP to warrant not using them. I can throw out an anecdote of my own. CP rebuilt my Fox Float X2 and did a great job. It’s due for another service soon and I’ll be taking it back to them.

As far as I’m aware, they are the only Austin area shop that has the ability to recharge the nitrogen in the IFP of Fox dampers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

I may be mis-remembering, but I think at some point in the last couple of years BSS got the Nitrogen refill capability and the tools to be able to service dampers.  I remember getting the e-mail about that.  Don't know if Trek would have kept that.

It would be great if they did, and had the proper people to leverage it.

44 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

I may be mis-remembering, but I think at some point in the last couple of years BSS got the Nitrogen refill capability and the tools to be able to service dampers.  I remember getting the e-mail about that.  Don't know if Trek would have kept that.

I remember that as well, I want to say it was the Bee Caves location?

Apparently the tooling on the Float X2 required tools BSS did not have, I assume no locations at BSS had them. They said it would have to be sent to Fox or locally they recommended 812. I was surprised by this as I had seen the email previously with the nitrogen refill and have had BSS do several shock overhauls throughout the years.

812 did great work and I remember Cycle Progression also was able to work on X2's. Prefer going local over sending stuff away.