IGNORED

812 MTB Suspension - closed?

TAF

I went by Peddler's today to see if I could get an old shock and fork serviced, and they said they are sending everything to Fox now. I let them send the Fork in since I think it needs a complete rebuild anyway, if it's even salvageable. Been riding that puppy hard for 4.5 years. Any thoughts on whether there is a useful life of a fork? Do they just keep going forever with proper maintenance? 

3 minutes ago, throet said:

I went by Peddler's today to see if I could get an old shock and fork serviced, and they said they are sending everything to Fox now. I let them send the Fork in since I think it needs a complete rebuild anyway, if it's even salvageable. Been riding that puppy hard for 4.5 years. Any thoughts on whether there is a useful life of a fork? Do they just keep going forever with proper maintenance? 

I'm not the shiniest example of proper maintenance--I don't even wipe the uppers regularly, but I did change oil maybe every 6 months.  I had the uppers/crown assembly replaced on my 2010 Talas after about 10k miles (6 years or so).

• Like 1

On 4/1/2021 at 1:19 PM, TAF said:

It's probably not hard. I don't have a garage or a real workspace, and I prefer just to spend my free time riding, playing geetar, hanging out at beer joints, etc -- not wrenching in the driveway.

Nothing wrong with that, and I feel the same way even though I have plenty of workspace. I even pay people to bleed brakes and change pads. In fact, about all I do myself is change tires, make cockpit revisions, and adjust derailleurs occasionally. I have a tendency to f*ck things up due to impatience and a complete lack of mechanical sense. 

Edited by throet
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, throet said:

Nothing wrong with that, and I feel the same way even though I have plenty of workspace. I even pay people to bleed brakes and change pads. In fact, about all I do myself is change tires, make cockpit revisions, and adjust derailleurs occasionally. I have a tendency to f*ck things up do to impatience and a complete lack of mechanical sense. 

I've paid people to setup my home network even though I work on designing ethernet switch hardware, but I will pretty much attempt any mechanical job at least once (never doing FWD Turbo car clutch ever again!).  We pick our battles wisely. 🙂

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Another tidbit of info came my way today - the 812 business is still open, but only the original motorcycle suspension side. The guy who did the mtb stuff moved on, BUT they are hoping to replace him. So fingers crossed ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TAF said:

Another tidbit of info came my way today - the 812 business is still open, but only the original motorcycle suspension side. The guy who did the mtb stuff moved on, BUT they are hoping to replace him. So fingers crossed ...

It would be awesome to see businesses coming back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheX said:

It would be awesome to see businesses coming back.

I believe he left because he wanted to live in Arkansas, although I suppose that might have been related to the economy. Or he just wanted to ride those sweet Ozark trails.

6 minutes ago, TAF said:

Yes, here's hoping, did really good work!

• 7 months later...

Thread ressurection time.

Pulled the lowers off my Fox 34 and noticed a lot of dark oil on the damper side. I'm pretty sure that's damper fluid leaking into the lowers because the damper asploded. I'd rather not wait for weeks while I mail it out of state. Anywhere local that can rebuild a Fit4 damper? I take pride in being a decent mechanic, but I looked at all the proprietary tools needed to do that job and said "nope!"

2 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

That's quite a rabbit hole, but if I can source one that fits my fork, I might.

With fox it's a total pita to get information. That's why is stick to RS. Will say that when I had questions about my fox shocks, they responded super quick by email.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

Thread ressurection time.

Pulled the lowers off my Fox 34 and noticed a lot of dark oil on the damper side. I'm pretty sure that's damper fluid leaking into the lowers because the damper asploded. I'd rather not wait for weeks while I mail it out of state. Anywhere local that can rebuild a Fit4 damper? I take pride in being a decent mechanic, but I looked at all the proprietary tools needed to do that job and said "nope!"

I know you said you didn't want to send it off, but I will give a plug to these guys - www.traillabs.com

They are in Springfield, Missouri, but their turnaround time is amazing because they actually schedule your service appointment before you send them your component. I sent my fork and shock to them last summer and had them back within a week. That might actually rival turnaround time for a local shop. Their prices were very competitive too.

Full disclosure:  I did have an issue with my shock leaking oil after it was serviced. They were really good about it and fixed it quickly with no extra charge to me, but it did mean I was without my shock for a few more days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I contacted Velorangutan and their tech, Adam, sent me a super detailed response. I have not actually worked with them, yet, but I appreciate the professionalism. I will take suspension to them if and when the time comes.

I think my fork is still working. the damper is probably WAY past when it should have seen some attention, but I am going to ride it and monitor it to see if I've blown a seal in the damper. rebuilding it is going to cost about $200. I've read opinions about this that range from "you should tear down the fork every six months and replace everything" to "just bleed it" to "just ride it until it stops working." for now, I put the fork back together with fresh bath oil so I can ride.

thinking long-term, I don't like the idea of a part on my bike that costs that much to maintain. for $520, I could replace this fork with a Marzocchi Bomber Z2, which is made by Fox with a lot of the same parts. the main difference is that the Z2 uses an open-bath damper. that means that, like my previous Rockshox forks, servicing the damper doesn't require so much drama. open the damper, dump out the oil (and dispose of it properly), maybe replace some seals, refill, and button it back up.

I'll ask Santa for that Bomber, or get a Tandell rigid fork and say goodby to fork maintenance drama forever!

• Like 1

Glad you had a good experience with Velo! Dudes seem cool, and looks like they might sell on Amazon occasionally. Interesting.

I also see a Pike in your future. Super freaking simple to service, with parts that are cheap and easily accessible. I consider Rockshox the AK-47 of suspension. May not be the most refined but will get you home.

Don't you ride hardtails? Boost? I can't imagine you need anything too sophisticated for a hardtail on CTX rockbike riding (no offense intended). Probably get away with a motion control if you wanted, but standard charger dampers are super cheap now.

17 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

Glad you had a good experience with Velo! Dudes seem cool, and looks like they might sell on Amazon occasionally. Interesting.

I also see a Pike in your future. Super freaking simple to service, with parts that are cheap and easily accessible. I consider Rockshox the AK-47 of suspension. May not be the most refined but will get you home.

Don't you ride hardtails? Boost? I can't imagine you need anything too sophisticated for a hardtail on CTX rockbike riding (no offense intended). Probably get away with a motion control if you wanted, but standard charger dampers are super cheap now.

yeah, I don't feel the need for anything super sophisticated on my Karate Monkey. it just has to work (not be a flexy pogo stick) and not cause drama in the maintenance department. boost spacing, 29er, 120mm travel is enough for my needs. Pike sounds like a good option as well.

Edited by mack_turtle

47 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

yeah, I don't feel the need for anything super sophisticated on my Karate Monkey. it just has to work (not be a flexy pogo stick) and not cause drama in the maintenance department. boost spacing, 29er, 120mm travel is enough for my needs. Pike sounds like a good option as well.

Yeah, a good option then. RS is also making several open bath, lower priced models with a 35mm chassis. That might be worth considering since prices are so stupid right now. You can always upgrade the damper at a later date.

Also, sourcing a used pike should be pretty easy. I've bought several used RS fork and as long as the stanchions weren't scratched they were G2G. I have the charger bleeder kit if you need to borrow.

• Like 1

+1 on RS suspension ... i've a 2012 Pike 150 still ticking over on my hardtail and a heartily abused 2016 Lyrik on my FS. The damper in the Lyrik (charger 1.0) blew it's bladder this year so replaced it with a Charger 2.1 assembly without drama ... works fabulously well.

+1 on RS service too ... sent in a 2016 MonarchPlus for full rebuild (I do air can/seals but send it in for the rest) and they found the damper was dead because the shaft had worn so the assembly won't hold oil - could have been bike frame issues or could have been build - no way to tell - but for the cost of service rebuild they sent me a full new replacement instead. Considering the mileage on that shock i'm appreciative.

Looks like Drew (Revolution Repair) is going to be doing it out of Bentonville

We are proud to announce we are expanding our business!! Revolution Factory Suspension Service is now doing full service suspension work in Bentonville. #OZTrailsNWA
Live here? it's local and no need to ship it out!
Wish you lived here? you can ship it in!!
Meet Mark Mc Kenney. He has expert suspension knowledge from years experience in the moto suspension industry, years of experience in the bicycle industry, and is a racer and rider to boot. Our unequaled level of service and expertise you have learned to love now includes all of your suspension needs!
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...