IGNORED

Apologies for the vaccine thread

TheX

I have that thread hidden so that I stay out of the conversation, but...I want to apologize for letting my frustrations affect interactions with other people. 

I wear masks where required, and don't try to force my opinions on others. My wife and I are almost done with our jabs. She has both, I have a week and a half for my second.

I despise anti-vaxxers. The virus is real, and even though I have a different opinion of the actual risk, we all have to live it.

I know people that want to keep restrictions in place, even when most everyone has been jabbed, I disagree with that. They have the right to stay masked and maintain distance for as long as they like. I want to start getting back to normal so that small businesses and others can survive.

I sincerely apologize for letting my frustrations boil over into a place that has been nothing but nice to me.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TheX said:

I have that thread hidden so that I stay out of the conversation, but...I want to apologize for letting my frustrations affect interactions with other people. 

I wear masks where required, and don't try to force my opinions on others. My wife and I are almost done with our jabs. She has both, I have a week and a half for my second.

I despise anti-vaxxers. The virus is real, and even though I have a different opinion of the actual risk, we all have to live it.

I know people that want to keep restrictions in place, even when most everyone has been jabbed, I disagree with that. They have the right to stay masked and maintain distance for as long as they like. I want to start getting back to normal so that small businesses and others can survive.

I sincerely apologize for letting my frustrations boil over into a place that has been nothing but nice to me.

Kudos for posting this.

• Like 2

Everyone has and is entitled to their own opinions this is part of what makes us who we are. How we respond to these opinions is part of what determines our character as people. Being able to discuss these opinions civilly is the test of our character. 

Your ability to post this shows the quality of your character. 

Thanks.

I've been in a vaccine study since August (J & J Janssen two-dose study). Our study was unblinded in January; I got the actual vaccine.   Hubs is a month past his 2nd Moderna jab.  I've done a few things in the last few weeks that I've put off for a year, like go to the dentist, but still very cautious.  I simply won't eat indoors in a restaurant, but I did start recently going back to a regular Tuesday morning social ride on the Southern Walnut Trail with post-ride outdoor maskless socializing -- it's an older group and we're all vaccinated.  Also considering some outdoor dining with others who are vaccinated.  I meet my trainer once a week now at the very well ventilated Hyde Park Gym, which has stringent mask and social distancing protocols in place. 

My concern right now are Covid variants that have become common in the US, some of which are ~50%  more transmissible than original Covid and have a tendency to infect more young people and children.  We're are about two-weeks past the Spring Break super-spreader events and I don't know how well my vaccine works against variants. 

So, I'm just as paranoid as I was a year ago. 

My patience and tolerance with the anti-vaxx crowd and people who are "waiting to see if there are problems with the vaccine" is zero.  Fortunately, I don't personally know anyone who is holding off or refusing to vax. 

Edited by June Bug

1 hour ago, June Bug said:

My concern right now are Covid variants that have become common in the US, some of which are 100 times more contagious than original Covid and have a tendency to infect more young people and children.  We're are about two-weeks past the Spring Break super-spreader events and I don't know how well my vaccine works against variants. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/variant-surveillance/variant-info.html

That P.1 is the one I'm keeping an eye on.

For anyone worried about being out around random people that choose not to wear a mask anymore (me, when not on private property that has a sign requesting it), I would suggest picking up a few hospital grade N-95 masks and properly using them (I don’t think any hospitals are having shortages of these), so your taking your safety into your own hands and out of other peoples. These have been the primary means for health care workers to protect themselves from any patient with airborne or droplet pathogens for at least the last 20years.

Clarification: I’m vaccinated, have a healthy BMI, and no other high risk factors and if I was going to hang out with people that are high risk I would wear a mask if it made them more comfortable.

• Like 2

"Potential reduction in neutralization by monoclonal antibody treatments"

On 4/11/2021 at 8:04 PM, GFisher said:

Sprechen sie Englisch?

From the FDA Web site: "Monoclonal antiboies are laboratory-made proteins that mimic the immune system's ability to fight off harmful pathogens such as viruses." 

So: Some of the COVID variants show varying degrees of  resistance to monoclonal antibody treatments. 

Monoclonal antibody treatment can be very effective against COVID and Regeneron (brand) has demonstrated that  monoclonal antibody treatment can be effective in preventing infection in people who have been exposed to COVID. 

Edited by June Bug

18 minutes ago, Shinerider said:

Ugh - my J&J appointment for Friday got canceled.

Something isn’t adding up will the J&J vaccine. The national media are reporting that it is being paused due to 6 cases of blood clots within 2 weeks of people taking the vaccine. Being that they have already administered 7 million doses that would mean less than a 1 in 1million chance of getting a blot clot with the dose, which is much less than the 1 in 500,000 chance you have of getting struck by lightning. Not to mention that a blood clot is common complication  of having COVID 19. So I’m not sure what the logic is unless they FDA and CDC is not disclosing something. I can’t wait for this chapter to be over it’s turning me into a conspiracy theorist😂

Edited by 4fun
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, 4fun said:

Something isn’t adding up will the J&J vaccine. The national media are reporting that it is being paused due to 6 cases of blood clots within 2 weeks of people taking the vaccine. Being that they have already administered 7 million doses that would mean less than a 1 in 1million chance of getting a blot clot with the dose, which is much less than the 1 in 500,000 chance you have of getting struck by lightning. Not to mention that a blood clot is common complication  of having COVID 19. So I’m not sure what the logic is unless they FDA and CDC is not disclosing something. I can’t wait for this chapter to be over it’s turning me into a conspiracy theorist😂

For anyone that think that the vaccines were not safe or were rushed, this should be evidence all the proper steps are being followed through the 3 trial phases as well as mass deployment.  Just like with the Astra Zeneca/Oxford, I'm positive they will find that the incidence of blood clots is no greater than the general population. I think with Astra Zeneca they even found that it was lower incidence than the gen pop.  And you nailed it regarding COVID19 actually causing blood clots at a pretty high incidence.  So the risk of clots from the vaccine is minuscule compared to getting clots from COVID19 (this auto-corrected to minuscule, but I'd always spelled it miniscule which is a variant from the 19th century and considered wrong.  I learned something today)

I participated in the VacSafe survey.  One day I had the runs.  I was pretty sure it was from one of those bagged salads (my son also did not feel well) but I still reported it.  It's how you get the "possible side effects" stuff on drugs.  It's not definite, but they have to list it.

My wife was telling me APH has a lot of appointments open.  They are using Moderna.

• Like 1

I got the J&J Saturday. All of the six cases were all women ages 18-48 typically the age of women on birth control. Certain birth control pills have their own rate of potential blood clots.

1 in 1million chance for getting CVST(cerebral venous sinus thrombosis) from J&J is very low considering 5 in 1million is how many people are affected each year by CVST.

Whenever you consider becoming a conspiracy theorist just follow the money. 😉

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 4fun said:

The national media are reporting that it is being paused due to 6 cases of blood clots within 2 weeks of people taking the vaccine.

All the cases were women and may possibly be related to a rare genetic variant.  I'd like to point out that there are six cases THAT ARE KNOWN.  The complications appear a week or two after inoculation; it's entirely possible that there are many more cases that weren't identified as being related to the J & J vax. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm pretty pissed that it was canceled.  I feel they should have let people know of the risks and let people decide to take it or not.  I personally would take the risk, since I'm not even close to the risk category, and would rather take it than risk getting covid.  I have a higher likelihood of getting the disease than a damn clot.

6 hours ago, Shinerider said:

Yeah, I'm pretty pissed that it was canceled.  I feel they should have let people know of the risks and let people decide to take it or not.  I personally would take the risk, since I'm not even close to the risk category, and would rather take it than risk getting covid.  I have a higher likelihood of getting the disease than a damn clot.

Agree with you here 1 in a million+ are pretty good odds, especially if you don’t fall into the category of people that this was halted for.

Giving people the option to take it or not is the key. I have many friends and family not interested in it, and that’s OK too. Low risk, already had the virus (even some claim twice), whatever, that’s their decision. 

On 4/13/2021 at 12:52 PM, June Bug said:

"Potential reduction in neutralization by monoclonal antibody treatments"

From the FDA Web site: "Monoclonal antiboies are laboratory-made proteins that mimic the immune system's ability to fight off harmful pathogens such as viruses." 

So: Some of the COVID variants show varying degrees of  resistance to monoclonal antibody treatments. 

Monoclonal antibody treatment can be very effective against COVID and Regeneron (brand) has demonstrated that  monoclonal antibody treatment can be effective in preventing infection in people who have been exposed to COVID. 

monoclonal antibodies as the name suggests are a single clone of a b cell line that produces an antibody that is targeted towards one binding site.

Mutant virus may or may not have a mutation in that binding site. If they do, then the monoclonal antibodies wont be as effective.

• Like 1