IGNORED

Build a gravel wheelset

Austin Smithey

2 minutes ago, Austin Smithey said:

This summer I will be working full-time ($$$) and seeing as I just got a gravel bike I would like to build up a 700c wheelset. Where do I even start trying to do something like this?? Any tips or info would be great!

you might ping @Chief and see if he has some laying around

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Austin Smithey said:

This summer I will be working full-time ($$$) and seeing as I just got a gravel bike I would like to build up a 700c wheelset. Where do I even start trying to do something like this?? Any tips or info would be great!

I have a set that came off my bike if you're interested. Stock wheel set. 12x142 rear 12 x100 front thru axle. I'll let them go cheap. Alex wheels.

I'd also build you a set if that's what you're looking for. Be forewarned not easy getting parts.

I'm rebuilding the wheels on my FS took three weeks to get spokes standard size nothing custom and I'm still waiting for the hoops to arrive their stuck in Germany somewhere for the last three weeks.

Edited by Chief

On 4/7/2021 at 8:47 PM, mack_turtle said:

Do you have some very specific hubs or rims in mind? If not, a custom build might be unnecessary. Industry Nine has some really nice stuff.

I'm still kind of looking around, just thought it would be a cool summer project and I'm still looking into the feasibility of it all. 

On 4/7/2021 at 4:56 PM, Chief said:

I have a set that came off my bike if you're interested. Stock wheel set. 12x142 rear 12 x100 front thru axle. I'll let them go cheap. Alex wheels.

I'd also build you a set if that's what you're looking for. Be forewarned not easy getting parts.

I'm rebuilding the wheels on my FS took three weeks to get spokes standard size nothing custom and I'm still waiting for the hoops to arrive their stuck in Germany somewhere for the last three weeks.

I will get back to you on that as I don't need them right now per se. Certainly don't hold them for me if you've got other people asking. But I appreciate it nonetheless

9 hours ago, Austin Smithey said:

I will get back to you on that as I don't need them right now per se. Certainly don't hold them for me if you've got other people asking. But I appreciate it nonetheless

Yeah no worries I'm not actively trying to sell them. Hit me up if you want them.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

There are a lot of directions you can go on a gravel wheelset. My setup is Sapim Race spokes on WTB Race Lite hubs and Stans Crest rims. You could legit race XC MTB on this wheelset (so it serves as a backup for that). So I am not at all worried when I take my gravel bike out on trails. 

If you are doing it on a budget, I would look at Novatec hubs. Get them off ebay or Bdop (https://bdopcycling.com/). lots of the house branded stuff (including some Stans) are just Novatec.  The price is good and the quality is pretty good ( if you get them from a legit supplier). Bdop actually has some build kits with all that you need. 

So decent rims are also important. I would stick with aluminum. You could do some ChiCarbon rims, if so, spend time on the forums looking for a good source. I really like to build Stans rims, DT not as much. I think Stans handle tension really well and build up true and round a lot easier/quicker. Pay attention to weight here. 

Spokes - double or triple butted. I like Sapim. 

Nipples - If this is your first build, you might consider brass. The DT Prolock nipples are great. no need for spoke prep. You can do alloy, but get a good brand like Sapim. DT alloy nipples are garbage. I just built a set with Halo alloy nipples and was really surprise by the quality. 

Lots of good videos on how to build, it just takes time and patience. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

I think Stans handle tension really well and build up true and round a lot easier/quicker.

Really? My experiences with Stan's have been the opposite. I've built both DT and Stan's and for me the DT's build up easier. The welds on Stan's are terrible.

2 minutes ago, Chief said:

Really? My experiences with Stan's have been the opposite. I've built both DT and Stan's and for me the DT's build up easier. The welds on Stan's are terrible.

Welds are not always pretty on stans, but dt have always been tension sensitive for me. The new wide stuff from dt seems better.

On 6/18/2021 at 7:03 AM, Mattlikesbikes said:

Welds are not always pretty on stans, but dt have always been tension sensitive for me. The new wide stuff from dt seems better.

I've never had any tension issues with DT. Been running 28 hole on everything and they stay true and well tensioned. I also bring them to max tension so the tension doesn't drop too low when I mount tires. You lose about 30% of tension after mounting tires.