IGNORED

Bike-related Project - Trunk organizer

AustinBike

Yeah, I need to get organized. 

When I got ,my last car (SUV) it had plenty of space:
IMG_0110.thumb.jpeg.6ba32b7f291be2db002dca8efe37877f.jpeg

But the best part is the hidden space:

IMG_0112.thumb.jpeg.034ab26f0e3c58d6d90ae9a8b01343da.jpeg

Basically I can pull the two pieces of "flooring" out and I have a 2-4" deep well above the spare tire for keeping things. For the most part I have found some plastic organizers that are the right size, but they slide all over the place. The basura blanco solution was an appliance box and some duct tape. But I am thinking that I have some time and I should really do this right. I am thinking about a wooden frame that would hold these boxes in place so that I do not need such a trashy solution here. 

My thought is something like this:

trunk.thumb.png.fae3b3140f987b7651f9cdae9204204c.png

I can probably pick up some wood at Home Depot to make this and it shouldn't be *too* hard as a project, but what I am really looking for is some insight from people smarter than me about this.

1. I am assuming that I need to both glue and nail the frame together. Is Gorilla Glue the best solution for that?

2. Will I need some type of brace to hold it together while the glue dries?

3. Is there some kind of "spring" device to put on the sides to hold it firmly in place? Do I even need that?

Any input from knowledgeable people is appreciated.

If I were really good I would just build in compartments and lids, but lets face it, I have a degree in economics and that is good for, um, not much here.

Edited by AustinBike

Is there carpet/felt down there?  Why not making a configurable set of dividers with velcro.  This not my idea, but it's how camera bags and even some car trunk organizers seem to be done.

Also, sorry I know it's not what you asked.  🙂

Edited by AntonioGG
add apology

1 hour ago, AntonioGG said:

Is there carpet/felt down there?  Why not making a configurable set of dividers with velcro.  This not my idea, but it's how camera bags and even some car trunk organizers seem to be done.

Also, sorry I know it's not what you asked.  🙂

No carpet, just a smooth cover over the spare.

40 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

I am planning on putting corner braces on as well (L-shaped). Will that be enough for the screw drilling later or should I try to round up some corner clamps to use to hold it together while gluing and screwing?

There's not going to be a lot of stress on those corners. I think you are overthinking it. 

"L" brackets are overkill. Clamps that big are not cheap.

I'd probably just apply some wood glue (Gorilla makes a wood glue but it's not the OG "Gorilla Glue") and tack it in place with some finishing nails. One of these (https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-18-Volt-ONE-Cordless-AirStrike-18-Gauge-Brad-Nailer-Tool-Only-with-Sample-Nails-P320/203810823) is about what you'd pay for one clamp and has a million uses. Well, just one use - shooting small nails - but I use mine all the time for a million different projects. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yay! Rainy day just after I bought the wood.

IMG_0163.thumb.jpeg.633ddca464f3017b427e8a677f219604.jpeg

IMG_0165.thumb.jpeg.a0f7224550f089b58afcd985897bb38a.jpeg

IMG_0162.thumb.jpeg.2e50e500c156e9279c99d45339c1f667.jpeg

Even had room for a fancy wheel lock holder on the left. 

Apparently I over-thought it, didn't need to wood glue or the corner braces, just drilled and screwed and that was enough. I did spend a lot of time with the rough file on the wood getting the side supports just right. The whole thing fits tightly, no slop.

• Like 4

On 4/7/2021 at 2:11 PM, AustinBike said:

Yeah, I need to get organized. 

When I got ,my last car (SUV) it had plenty of space:
IMG_0110.thumb.jpeg.6ba32b7f291be2db002dca8efe37877f.jpeg

I have a floor pump just like yours (plus probably 3 assorted others), my 2 favorite floor pumps I have owned were the most basic Performance brand pumps like this despite also having some pretty expensive ones.