IGNORED

Do you *BELL*?

TheX

Yeah, those annoying bells some of us have on our handlebars. I have them on every bike I ever ride. How else are the wonderful people listening to amazing music with ear buds going to know when to snarl at me as I pass them on our shared trails?

Seriously, the looks I get because I dare to use a bell to get their attention after *on your left*, and *rider behind you*, and *HELLO!*, etc etc get no response.

So, who else *bells*?

bell.thumb.jpg.6395233c83c04e06c28aaba31f28dfcf.jpg

• Like 1

I want a portable speaker so I can play Surfin Bird at full volume the whole time I ride. It will be a hoot on group rides.

there's a bell on the right side of my mtb and a similar one strapped to the left side of my stem on the gravel bike. I made a point to put it on the left so I can still operate my rear brake while ding-a-lingin'.

I have bells but then I take them off for racing and forget to put them back on.  I used to also put a bear bell on so I wouldn't have to actively use it but it doesn't work great.  I would like to have something that rings on its own.  I've run into people that even with a bell they don't hear me.  I've yelled at the top of my voice 5ft behind and they don't hear me.  

Even with a bell, I usually start with a "good morning/afternoon" when I'm a good distance away.  The bell is a last resort for me.

25 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

I have bells but then I take them off for racing and forget to put them back on.  I used to also put a bear bell on so I wouldn't have to actively use it but it doesn't work great.  I would like to have something that rings on its own.  I've run into people that even with a bell they don't hear me.  I've yelled at the top of my voice 5ft behind and they don't hear me.  

Even with a bell, I usually start with a "good morning/afternoon" when I'm a good distance away.  The bell is a last resort for me.

I definitely start with the greeting, but some people only hear the bell.

• Like 1

I had a bear bell that is basically a bell dangling from your bars like Santa Claus. It gets very annoying when you’re just cruising around and there is no reason to be making noise.

I use my bell for blind corners and to let people know I’m there if things are hectic. I much prefer to say “excuse me” or something if they are aware. People with headphones can usually hear the bell but I’ve had to throw juniper berries at one numb nut on SATN one time just to get his attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tree Magnet said:

I use my bell for blind corners and to let people know I’m there if things are hectic. I much prefer to say “excuse me” or something if they are aware. 

In blind g-outs (e.g. a few in Deception, the big one at Walnut creek) I yell "dropping in!".

13 minutes ago, Tree Magnet said:

I’ve had to throw juniper berries at one numb nut on SATN one time just to get his attention.

LOL!  That's resourceful!

I have one on my commuter bike and constantly tell myself I'll put the extra on the mtn bike, so this is a good reminder to do that. 

The one on the commuter bike gets a fair amount of use, but walkers with ear buds are a constant problem.  Sometimes they hear the bell, sometimes they don't. 

I really worry for women who use them while walking/running on trails or anywhere really because their situational awareness is zero. 

• Like 1

I have a bear bell (which you can switch on or off) on one bike, which is handy on the Southies. Otherwise I just holler - often pretty loudly - usually causing the blockage to jump like a startled deer and bolt one way or the other, often with dogs scattering in all directions.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Chief said:

I have a Chinese knock off of this. Low profile mounts between my brake and dropper lever.

https://www.knog.com/product/oi-classic-small/

I like when I yell "on your left" and the person steps left. Some of us obviously still haven't learned left from right.

I think some people may not actually know what the full phrase is.  I say the whole phrase, "passing on your left" to prevent this confusion on their part.

• Like 2

Passed a guy on inner log loop at Walnut last night. He was doing super slow. I called out that there were three people behind me but I guess he didn’t hear because of his headphones. My friend who was behind me startled the guy and he ran straight into a tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Had a bell, but it broke, and since I've not stepped foot into any bikeshop in the past year, I've yet to find a replacement.  Usually I just stop pedaling and the rear wheel ratcheting noise is enough to get people to move to the side, to which I then say a profound "thank you" as I pass.

4 hours ago, Chief said:

I have a Chinese knock off of this. Low profile mounts between my brake and dropper lever.

I like when I yell "on your left" and the person steps left. Some of us obviously still haven't learned left from right.

I think many trail walkers have no idea what that means. I'll say "excuse me, coming up on your left" or something similar.

It's annoying when you have to yell. And when they act startled I'm thinking, no shit, turn down your headphone volume idiot.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

I think some people may not actually know what the full phrase is.  I say the whole phrase, "passing on your left" to prevent this confusion on their part.

Rode road bikes for so many years it just became "on your left".  Road bikers don't typically encounter hikers.😁

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chief said:

I also had a Chinese knock of that bell, until it got...

...knocked off.