IGNORED

Trail dozer

Hugh

33 minutes ago, Hugh said:

We are buying a piece of land and my Google skills seem lacking.

Are there trail dozer for sale or rent around central TX?

How big?  Home Depot has from small to medium size machines.  I rented a stand-up front-end loader which fit through my side gate.  It was actually a lot of fun.

For bigger stuff, there are the big rental shops like United Rentals.

15 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

Are you wanting someone to run this or just rent the machine?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

My thought was to buy one as this will be weekend work for a couple of months and probably sell it when we're done.

Thanks a lot.  Now I'm looking at dozers on craigslist and thinking about how cool it would be to pick-up something like this to restore it.

https://austin.craigslist.org/hvo/d/china-spring-caterpillar-dozer/7305307564.html

This person did the same thing you're thinking about doing:

https://austin.craigslist.org/hvo/d/austin-dozer/7303474933.html

44 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

I can't help but this sounds exciting. If you need individual manual labor, get some cold drinks and offer to let volunteers ride what they help build.

I thought if I ever won the lottery that is exactly what I would do.

This piece of land isn't big enough for anything exciting although it does have a pretty good decent.

I ignored the $1 adds on Craigslist. Guess I should not have.

When I had my business, I bought a 20+ year old forkluft and it ran like a champ.

Figured I would do the same with a small dozer. Buying an old used machine and reselling a few months later is cheaper and more convenient than renting.

• Like 1

I bought a tire machine on Craigslist from a school district in Deerpark, TX back when I was racing.  It was old and beat up but it paid for itself with 2 sets of tires.  A friend bought a balancer and he let me keep the machine at his shop which he'd use, and I'd get to use the balancer.  I sold it for what I paid for it. 

How much trail are you trying to clear?  A few hundred feet or miles worth?  A skid steer might be more handy to have around.  It won't run over trees like a dozer, but it will get the trees out with a little work.   

You can get a nice used 75hp skid steer for about 20 grand or get a smaller one for even cheaper.  We've used a 50hp skid steer to clear cedars without any problem.  Plus you can add all kinds of attachments to a skid steer.  

A dozer will definitely knock down several acres in a day, but then you have a big mess of trees that you can't pick up to move.  You can push the trees into piles, but that pile accumulates dirt as you move it so then you have a big mound of dirt and trees.  With a skid steer you can use the bucket to knock down a section of trees then switch to a fork or graple attachment to pick up the trees and move them to a trailer or burn pile. 

Plus skid steers are easy to work on and can be towed with a light duty truck.  You need a semi to move most dozers.

23 minutes ago, JRIDER said:

How much trail are you trying to clear?  A few hundred feet or miles worth?  A skid steer might be more handy to have around.  It won't run over trees like a dozer, but it will get the trees out with a little work.   

You can get a nice used 75hp skid steer for about 20 grand or get a smaller one for even cheaper.  We've used a 50hp skid steer to clear cedars without any problem.  Plus you can add all kinds of attachments to a skid steer.  

A dozer will definitely knock down several acres in a day, but then you have a big mess of trees that you can't pick up to move.  You can push the trees into piles, but that pile accumulates dirt as you move it so then you have a big mound of dirt and trees.  With a skid steer you can use the bucket to knock down a section of trees then switch to a fork or graple attachment to pick up the trees and move them to a trailer or burn pile. 

Plus skid steers are easy to work on and can be towed with a light duty truck.  You need a semi to move most dozers.

A trail dozer is similar in size to a skid steer. 

For now I'm looking to cut in a path for the wife as she's not as adventurous. It'd be a couple hundred feet.

Plus I want to cut in a small pond, about 4000 gallon. With the site slope, I'd really just be building up a berm.

View from the back of the lot 

20210414_191523.jpg

• Like 5