IGNORED

Lockhart Breaker 5/15/2021

AntonioGG

On 4/15/2021 at 2:12 PM, mack_turtle said:

I kind of want to do this, but the last time I rode it, it was TOASTY. the route was two laps of the same route and there was COLD beer waiting at the half-way point, so I only did one lap.

Ditto - not the most exciting loop, and it sure got warm - surprised we didn't bump into one another at the beer cooler.

What year and which distance did you two do?  I have done 100k in 2018 and 2019 and it was a single loop.  2018 was ccw and 2019 was cw.  I think 2018 was a bit hot but that's not what stands for me that year.  It's Sand Hill Rd.  This year I'm thinking about the 100 mile route.

I did Lockhart in 2018, and the sand was a killer. I don't remember the name of the road, but there were some brutal sections. I was still in denial about how fucked up I was after the Ducati wreck, only did the 50 but I finished it.

image.png.7e7a1035cbc014462ed7bb8c7318eb45.png

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

I really want to do Hill Country Hundy again for that reason.

I'm not the biggest fan of Spinistry events - little or nothing is spent on post-ride food and refreshment, so it's a poor post-race vibe. Plus, the last HCH I did used a lot of the Castell Grind route, which I found somewhat unsporting. 

24 minutes ago, TAF said:

I'm not the biggest fan of Spinistry events - little or nothing is spent on post-ride food and refreshment, so it's a poor post-race vibe. Plus, the last HCH I did used a lot of the Castell Grind route, which I found somewhat unsporting. 

The 2018 event I did had a terrible after ride thing going on. Real Ale rides are much better.

On 4/17/2021 at 9:01 AM, TAF said:

Yeah, HCH didn't make you want to hang out for hours afterward like people tend to do at Castell and such, but I really loved that route.

this nice thing about those Lockhart routes, to me, is how accessible they are from Austin. Lockhart is close enough that I could make a morning out of a 40+ mile ride and be home by mid-afternoon. the elevation change is not as dramatic as Castell. What I am saying is, my wife will ride Lockhart gravel with me but cursed my name for a week after I tried to take her to ride Llano.

4 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

this nice thing about those Lockhart routes, to me, is how accessible they are from Austin. Lockhart is close enough that I could make a morning out of a 40+ mile ride and be home by mid-afternoon. the elevation change is not as dramatic as Castell. What I am saying is, my wife will ride Lockhart gravel with me but cursed my name for a week after I tried to take her to ride Llano.

Our little crew does some fun 40 milers out of Lockhart and Palmetto State Park - also a short drive using Hwy 130. You're welcome to join.

Lockhart, Barttlet, Thorndale have a good amount of gravel.  I would say the Barttlet/Thorndale are has even more gravel than Lockhart with less traffic in the paved sections.  It's very flat but still beautiful especially this time of year. I really enjoyed my Capital City Racing Camino Real Gravelero ride.  The start/finish is very nice and the food was from the Apache Pass Steakhouse.  I will add more details in the other event post.

Anything that's not Castell Grind is going to be a step down in scenery and roads.  I'm OK with that.  Castell Grind is a high standard.

As far as post-event feel, anything not MTB or cyclocross is a step down IMO with the exception being the Real Ale Ride and the Shiner GASP (I sense there's a common them here).  The Spinistry events are low-key for sure, and people don't hang around for long, but the 2 I've done there was food for me and plenty of beer as well as pretty good swag.  I've done events where they say food is included, and I finish and there's nothing left.

Edited by AntonioGG