IGNORED

Hail damage

TheX

We had literally just finished installing a new roof when the hail hit. Thankfully it was in Georgetown and was on the far edge of the storm. If you are in an area that got hit hard, prepare for every roofing company in the country to come knocking on your door. Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

Send it down south, I want insurance to help pay for my new roof!

I was thinking the same thing, but what's funny is that several houses on our street are getting roofs replaced under insurance for a storm that allegedly took place last year. A guy from the roofing company is essentially knocking on everybody's door advising that they will get a large portion of their $22K roof replacement covered - even showed me pictures that he claims to have taken on the neighbor's roof. I was turned off by the experience and told the guy I though $22K was too much to pay for a new roof even if it was being covered by insurance. Ended up calling my regular roofer who has done repairs for me in the past to come inspect to see if there is legitimate damage from last year that I could still file a claim against.   

Edited by throet
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, TheX said:

We got our asses kicked here in Pflugerville. My truck has some dents, neighbors cars have broken windshields, lots of dents. Looks like my 20 year old roof will finally get replaced for freeeee.

We didn't get any hail at all in CP, but as luck would have it my wife had to meet our son in P-Ville around the time of the storm and got hammered. She was in my other son's car and so now both sons have extensive damage to their vehicles. They were at a Sprint store, and said that you could literally hear and see windshields getting smashed throughout the parking lot by golf-ball sized hail. Really sucks but I'm glad her newer car was left at home in the garage! 

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, TheX said:

I don't need ambulance chaser roofers.

They are already in town from the storm that came through town last month and I can assure you more are on the way. I have several customers that started receiving calls immediately after the storm from all centers all over North America. Couple words of advise:

Go with someone you know and trust

Don’t sign anything even if they tell you it’s required for them to do an inspection. Several companies will try and get you to sign a contingency form disguised as a release. This will never hold up in court but could be a pain to fight. 

Go local and check for proof they actually are local. There are companies that set up temporary offices to seem local and will skip town once they hit their quota. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, throet said:

Ended up calling my regular roofer who has done repairs for me in the past to come inspect to see if there is legitimate damage from last year that I could still file a claim against.   

Only in Texas does one have "a regular roofer"!  I also have a guy.  They do travel.  I remember one year I wanted him to check on something for me but they were out in Alabama/Georgia to fix roofs after some bad storms they had.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Only in Texas does one have "a regular roofer"!  I also have a guy.  They do travel.  I remember one year I wanted him to check on something for me but they were out in Alabama/Georgia to fix roofs after some bad storms they had.

I have a few customers that I have replaced their roofs twice in 18 months or less. Typically I would have told them to wait but they were missing vents, flashings, etc. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, TAF said:

BTW, always worth getting your insurance company out to take a look at your roof - they may think you have hail damage which is covered, even if you don't.

^^^This. A good majority of homes in Austin have what could be considered hail damage and most homeowners have no idea until someone gets up there and looks. Depending on where in south Austin chances are you have damage. Feel free to pm me your address and I can run a hail report to your address and give you an idea. Even if you don't have it now, you might be able to squeeze some more time out of it until you can get it bought. I have a list of 300 customers waiting for hail to hit, no reason paying out of pocket if you can help it.

we had three roofers give us estimates a few months ago and we didn't go for it. all of them said that the roof did not appear to have sufficient damage that they thought insurance would help out, but they said it would not hurt to ask. one of the three said they don't work with insurance anyways, but the other two said they would gladly take insurance money if that was part of the deal. I'll look into it and hopefully that will help. yay, new roof coming!

27 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

we had three roofers give us estimates a few months ago and we didn't go for it. all of them said that the roof did not appear to have sufficient damage that they thought insurance would help out, but they said it would not hurt to ask. one of the three said they don't work with insurance anyways, but the other two said they would gladly take insurance money if that was part of the deal. I'll look into it and hopefully that will help. yay, new roof coming!

I always advise at least giving it a shot with insurance before committing to paying out of pocket. You would be surprised to what I've seen bought, all depends on what insurance company you have and how the field adjuster is feeling that day. You don't need a roofer present for the adjuster meeting and it typically will not affect your policy if you file a claim and it is denied. Again, I can pull a hail report for you if you would like. Its free and I promise I'm not trying to sell you a roof, I'm booked months out right now. It will tell you what wind/hail events you have had at your address for the last 10 years

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, willatter said:

I always advise at least giving it a shot with insurance before committing to paying out of pocket. You would be surprised to what I've seen bought, all depends on what insurance company you have and how the field adjuster is feeling that day. You don't need a roofer present for the adjuster meeting and it typically will not affect your policy if you file a claim and it is denied. Again, I can pull a hail report for you if you would like. Its free and I promise I'm not trying to sell you a roof, I'm booked months out right now. It will tell you what wind/hail events you have had at your address for the last 10 years

Back when we had ours done, there had been some minor hail event in the area, and we learned that a few neighbors had called their insurance companies and were getting new roofs. We called, not expecting much - fellow came over, took one look and said 'yup, new roof for you'. So def worth the call!

20 minutes ago, TAF said:

Back when we had ours done, there had been some minor hail event in the area, and we learned that a few neighbors had called their insurance companies and were getting new roofs. We called, not expecting much - fellow came over, took one look and said 'yup, new roof for you'. So def worth the call!

Yep. Most people have what would be considered damage and live for years without knowing or having any roof problems. It takes massive hail to do the type of damage that would require an immediate replacement. A good majority of the damaged roofs can go years without needing to be replaced unless they are old or a poor quality of shingle.

• Like 1

@willatter is spot on.  If you have no leaks just wait.  If you have only one or two leaks do a repair.  Wait until the insurance company forces you to upgrade the roof or coverage will be denied….or another hail storm hits.

I had my roof replaced after 2009 baseball size hail and I couldn’t tell there was damage but the experts can spot it right away.  They just cut me out a check for roof, gutters, vents, etc.  I found my own roofer and I came out way ahead.  Then at that point I just had to prove to the insurance company I’d replaced it so they could restart coverage.

• Like 1