IGNORED

Prescription Cycling Glasses

I've done contacts and I don't to do that.  I also have high index every-day prescription glasses which are not shatterproof.  So for 10 years or so I've gotten prescription lenses in a WileyX frame.  I have a set of clear and one tinted and polarized.  The frames are now discontinued, and I was not able to get rubber pieces for the temples on one of my pairs, so it's time for new frames.  

Does anyone also have prescription riding/ports glasses they like or dislike?

Just now, AntonioGG said:

I've done contacts and I don't to do that.  I also have high index every-day prescription glasses which are not shatterproof.  So for 10 years or so I've gotten prescription lenses in a WileyX frame.  I have a set of clear and one tinted and polarized.  The frames are now discontinued, and I was not able to get rubber pieces for the temples on one of my pairs, so it's time for new frames.  

Does anyone also have prescription riding/ports glasses they like or dislike?

I buy Ray Ban frames with prescription transition lenses thru GlassesUSA. Been very happy with them.

• Like 1

I use the Leader Goggles from Hilco. Initially I wore them as option 1 with the full frame and just the regular sport strap. Then I converted to option 2, where you replace the ear pieces with a full wrap-around strap. I prefer option 2. No matter what kind of helmet you use - no issues. I use prescription transition lenses in mine, distance only of course without the progressive bi-focal.  

image.png.7fa07e10b59501b15ef7888e39876085.png

Hilco C2 Sports Glasses A Sight for Sport Eyes

• Like 1

I'm blind as a bat.
During daylight I use a Oakley Prescription sun glasses
If I ride at night I use a regular non glare glasses. I prefer Oakleys that are very stiff frames.

TAF is right about Glasses USA. Super cheap and easy

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks all.  I looked at all the options (except Bobster for which I'm getting a malware alert and it's blocked).  It appears I'm running into the same challenges I have with helmets and my big noggin.  Zenni is the only option that seems to have the right size for me.    The price is right too!

8 hours ago, AntonioGG said:

Thanks all.  I looked at all the options (except Bobster for which I'm getting a malware alert and it's blocked).  It appears I'm running into the same challenges I have with helmets and my big noggin.  Zenni is the only option that seems to have the right size for me.    The price is right too!

This link gives you an alert? I have BitDefender running, no issues.

Bobster Sport & Street 3 Convertible (Sunglasses / Goggles) | Prescription Bobster Convertible (Sunglasses / Goggles) | SportRx

I need wide temple to temple (every day glasses are 145mm), and long temples (~135mm). My nose bridge is actually narrow.  The other challenge is the high prescription.  On the WileyX I need an adaptor for the lenses which may prevent me from getting the Zinnis.  The Bobster look close, but it looks like the foam eyecup is non-removable unlike the WileyX.   This is essentially the replacement for the model I wear now.  I may end up with it again.

https://www.sportrx.com/wiley-x-boss-rx-adaptor.html

5 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

I need wide temple to temple (every day glasses are 145mm), and long temples (~135mm). My nose bridge is actually narrow.  The other challenge is the high prescription.  On the WileyX I need an adaptor for the lenses which may prevent me from getting the Zinnis.  The Bobster look close, but it looks like the foam eyecup is non-removable unlike the WileyX.   This is essentially the replacement for the model I wear now.  I may end up with it again.

https://www.sportrx.com/wiley-x-boss-rx-adaptor.html

My Ray Bans are 55 018 145. What are yours?

I took a pair of Oakleys to my Optometrist and they were able to make custom lenses for my frames. Wasn't cheap. I really just wanted some magnification at the bottom so I could read fine printed trail maps when travelling. I don't need glasses for riding. They convinced me to get progressive lenses and I can't get used to the focus change for trail riding and don't wear them. I am able to get by with my phone and gps on the trail, but would probably have to bring a mini magnifier if in the backcountry with detailed maps. I would never rely solely on electronics in the true backcountry.

Edited by GFisher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TAF said:

My Ray Bans are 55 018 145. What are yours?

Well, you just forced me to look-up what these numbers mean.  🙂

At first I thought the big number was temple length, then some websites made me think it was width b/c they give you this total width as a criteria instead of lens width and bridge distance.  It's actually temple length.

My WileyX Echos don't have a temple measurement.  Lens width 68 bridge distance is 19.  Temple length is at ~135.  On the WileyX the temples are straight and slightly wrap around the head instead of the ear so length is less important.

My everyday glasses are 145 54 16 and they gently squeeze my temples.

Your Ray Bans would work for me.  What model are they?

Edited by AntonioGG

Thanks.  I should have looked what the numbers mean right off the bat.

The moment I click high-Rx after selecting size range, my options are limited to one or none depending on the site.  ~$330 Oakleys, ~$130 Rec Specs, or ~$150 WileyX.

I'm going back to the optician on Wednesday so I'll just take a look and try the new WileyX frames and see what they have.

@GFisher, I am legally blind (20/200+) without my glasses, but also in the last few years I need reading glasses.  After resisting for a long time, I got my transition glasses.  I do use them to read, but the medium to far transition is the one I struggle with.  On my sports glasses, b/c they are a simple polycarbonate safety lens, they have no transition so I have a hard time reading my Garmin with them.  WileyX seems to have some kind of transition option which my optician does not, but those lenses are $400 by themselves!

8 minutes ago, TAF said:

These look very promising and way cheaper (and better looking) than WileyX for the complete package.  I've e-mailed Ray Ban to ask about lens options for me.  I'll take you up on your offer too try them tomorrow!

11 minutes ago, WhoAmI said:

I use Switch brand glasses that use magnets to hold lenses to the frame.  I switch between amber & dark tint.

Ooh these are nice.  Good size options.  No info on wether high Rx is compatible.  Looks like an optician right next door to my work has them.  Thanks!

• Like 1