IGNORED

Buds Required

Sluggo

No better way to commemorate Black History Month than to reflect on the historical significance of American Blues. Without these pioneers there would be no Rock & Roll, no Rhythm & Blues. What began as a spiritual journey where music became an outlet for the unimaginable agony and grief inflicted through slavery, the soulful sounds of the south emerged and ultimately captured the hearts of many who followed. Even well after the Emancipation Proclamation, early blues pioneers, like other blacks, were still subjected to unlawful discrimination and hate. Still, they performed to the delight of audiences across the country, spawning new genres of music that later brought us Motown, Elvis, and even the "British Invasion" of Rock & Roll. For all of us who are able to rejoice to the sounds of so much music that was born out of pain and suffering, let's never forget where it came from and how it has helped substitute caring and love over hate and violence. Progress Matters!     

• Like 3

4 hours ago, throet said:

No better way to commemorate Black History Month than to reflect on the historical significance of American Blues. Without these pioneers there would be no Rock & Roll, no Rhythm & Blues. 

100% truth. Was able to stop into the National Museum of African American History in DC last summer, and they had a whole floor dedicated to musicians. Place is a must see for sure.

IMG_20190722_141837663.jpg

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2

I remember in '73 sitting anxiously in my friend's basement while he ripped the cellophane off of the Who's new Quadrophenia album. As we listened to the tracks, I was mesmerized by Love Reign O'er Me. If one of my buddies present at the time would have told me that some 47 years later I'd be getting goose bumps over an elderly black woman covering that same song, I would have just laughed and told them to pass me the bong. That's exactly what's happening now though and it looks like Pete and Roger were having a similar reaction while be honored by Ms. LaVette. 

• Like 2