IGNORED

Oskar Blues

AntonioGG

I know there are several groups.  I was there once and did not see the group I was hoping to ride with. I can't remember the details on food trailer(s) and times.  I was hoping to make it today but I may be ill-prepared.  Does the ride go late enough during DST to need lights?

• Like 1

The OB ride (that I'm aware of) rolls out at Thursday at 6. You might want to bring a rear flashy for the road portion,  but all groups easily get back before dark at this time of year.

Get there if you can at 5:30ish for a pre-ride beer. The crew got a little smaller now that Driveway has started...but we had 18 folks tonight!  But there is generally enough for 2 to 3 groups. 

Currently the mediocre Mexican food truck takes the night off on Thursday and is replaced with the spectacular The Rice Is Right Asian truck, which is open plenty late.

• Thanks 1

I thought I'd come back and be clear what this is on about! In the pre-apocalypse days this ride would have as many as 35+ folks on good days. A small word of mouth group started getting back together on Thursdays for WC rides back in early fall last year. It was basically R&I Thursday edition. But then OB opened back up, and in December we got them to agree to stay open until 9:00 so that our post ride imbibing could once again be at the brewery. And that's what's going on now. And now that most conscientious folks have started getting their shots (shots! shots!), I'm comfortable moving this from word of mouth to a somewhat more formalized version, particularly since the pre and post hangout are on the massive outside pavilion and grounds. 

The Walnut Creek Park Oskar Blues Ride leaves every Thursday from the brewery at 6:00. It's at 10420 Metric Blvd Ste 150, Austin, TX 78758. Many folks show up at about 5:30-5:45 for a pre-gamer of their favorite OB beverage. The crew rolls out en masse very much EB style for the 2 mile spin to Gracywoods Park, where we then gather to collect anyone that didn't "make the green" on the way over.  Then we enter WC at the Inner Log Loop. After IL, we generally separate into a couple or 3 or more groups and then do some version of the Standard Loop +/-. You can either tether to me for a quicker ride (sometimes civilised, sometimes not), or hang back for a more party pace with others. Generally everyone finds a decent group for their desired pain level. And the various groups do between 8 to 14 mile WC miles before heading back to the brewery for as many drinks as they're comfortable having. That tends to be a lot for me, since I ride to and from the ride. 

Anyway, I figure at this point all are welcome, and are likely to find a pace they enjoy. 

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, bestbike85 said:

I may join this one of these weeks. I could use a lesson trying to hold Barry's wheel. 

That is totally easy, let me tell you my strategy:

1. Wait until he stops riding and takes out his flask.

2. Walk up to his bike.

3. Firmly put your hands around his wheel.

4. Hold.

Works every time.

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

FYI all, RIP the Oskar Blues Ride...

Long live the Celis Ride! 

It's the same plan, but 1 block further south. We'll be rolling (wheels down, that's what rolling means, so show up 10-15 minutes early) out of Celis Brewery at 6PM every Thursday with dry trails. Look for ride advertisements at various social media outlets near you, like FaceSpace and various Discords. I'll talk to our social media coordinator about putting this on the MeetUps as well. 

/rant: Oskar Blues Brewery had been frustrating us quite a bit over the past several months. The first source of annoyance was their inability to retain a reasonable food truck. Sometimes there is no food truck there whatsoever, or if it was there it closed at 8 or even 7:30. And for a while now, it has been maybe the worst food truck I've ever had! It's a freakin' health food truck...at a brewery! Quinoa and salad is certainly not what you want after a ride. Recently though we've figured out how to solve the food truck issue by ordering online from SpicyBoys toward the end  of the WC ride, then picking up our order on the way to OB. (And let me tell you, if you haven't tried the SpicyBoys truck, you're missing something out of your life.) But worse than the food situation was their disappointing and inconsistent hours. Their posted closing hour is 9PM, but they've been closing between about 8 and 8:30 for months now. They regularly close early even when they have guests. They even locked their doors at about 7:45 a couple of weeks ago so they didn't have to serve thirsty stadium guests! We sat with our final beer and watched scores and scores of people tug at the door wondering what was going on. All this, plus a few weeks ago they had SEVEN freakin' IPSs on tap, and absolutely no beer darker than burnt sienna. No Old Chub, Ten-Fiddy, DBC, or even an amber. They've since remedied that situation, but come on, man. That's unforgivable.  

Meanwhile, Celis is always open until 10. Celis has 3 GOOD food trucks, including Backdraft Pizza, the Salty  Cargo, and  a new taco truck coming soon (or just order from SpicyBoys on the way!). Also they just opened an expansive new beer garden and parking area. Sure, they don't do barrel aged beer like OB, but the consistent hang-out and better food options really made the call for us here. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Barry said:

All this, plus a few weeks ago they had SEVEN freakin' IPSs on tap, and absolutely no beer darker than burnt sienna. No Old Chub, Ten-Fiddy, DBC, or even an amber. They've since remedied that situation, but come on, man. That's unforgivable.  

Thats also been my experience with most CTX breweries as of late.

Glad to see celis getting some love and looking forward to trying some of their grand cru triple once sober oct is over.