IGNORED

Garage thread

ATXZJ

2 minutes ago, Barry said:

Did you have to 'Dukes of Hazard' yourself out of the window? Or did you get out of a sunroof?

yeah, no kidding

orange car went in first and got floorjacked to wall. Taco was next, exiting passenger door and niro was last, crawling out of the hatch. ............then it didnt hail🤣

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, June Bug said:

He wants more bikes; he has no space to cram in more bikes. 

What could possibly be occupying space that is more important than another bike?  Bikes are good for you (unless you're Antonio on a road bike).  They make you smile every time you feel that rush turning the pedals.  They can be handed down and still be just as useful tomorrow as today.  I think that Mr. JB needs to take a critical look at what he's occupying that space with right now.  If he wants more bikes (of course), space shouldn't be what stops him from getting them.

Edited by Tree Magnet

Y'all,  the Harbor Freight thing on casters could free up more floor space, so *stuff* doesn't encroach on my tiny bit of garage turf.  I don't like the idea of hanging up a mtn bike, but for the road and gravel bikes it would work *chef's kiss* great.  

Plus, he's gotten at least two bikes since I built up my Salsa Spearfish maybe 5 years ago. If anything comes into the stable, it's going to have to be one for each of us and something may have to go out the door. 

Edited by June Bug

17 minutes ago, June Bug said:

Plus, he's gotten at least two bikes since I built up my Salsa Spearfish maybe 5 years ago. If anything comes into the stable, it's going to have to be one for each of us and something may have to go out the door. 

This shows why it is both a good and bad thing when your spouse is a mountain biker too. Getting a new bike costs twice as much! 😉

• Like 2

20 hours ago, crazyt said:

Is anyone able to park their cars in the garage?

It takes me 40min of reorganizing, but I can fit both in there. I joke that it's insurance against storm damage for the house. Every time I park the cars in there nothing ever happens. 😛
On a normal day though, one half of the garage is for the family minivan. The other half is the bike shop/mancave. The poor Superoo is left outside.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, notyal said:

I remember there was a thread over on Mojo where someone had their bikes hung on hook by one wheel (alternating rear/front to make room for handlebars). The hooks were loosely hung to a rod so that he could file through them like shirts hung up in a closet. 

I use Steadyrack:

IMG_2419.JPG

They are mounted on wall studs and swing from side to side. I alternate heights so that I can get them closer together. That is a really small place, and the door needs to open. It all works.

door.jpg

Noticed this in a bike shop in Durango last week. First time I think I have really noticed this type of mount. Wheels rest on a small shelf and a strap holds onto the bike. Probably not ideal for your main/daily whips but bikes can be stacked and it doesn't take up any floor space. 

image.thumb.png.588bf6399ac5e8442449fffe2afcd971.png

8 minutes ago, GFisher said:

Noticed this in a bike shop in Durango last week. First time I think I have really noticed this type of mount. Wheels rest on a small shelf and a strap holds onto the bike. Probably not ideal for your main/daily whips but bikes can be stacked and it doesn't take up any floor space. 

The wall mount kits are great for getting the most out of your garage, and super easy to use. Just hook the pedal in the receiver bracket and you're G2G.

IMG_20180729_151023629.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Finally starting to get my home workshop set up in a state I’m happy with. 
2606FEE3-9893-4380-A78D-8DCBDB8FA457.thumb.jpeg.cff0fd029b928781f5d2679252da96e7.jpeg

future projects: 

-Replace the fluorescent lights with LEDs (they get hot in the summer)

-Replace the POS floor

-Properly route the wiring done by the previous owner of my house

This week’s project: Cleaning up and organizing my bench tops. 
8675EE38-9B97-4197-8EF9-64162CD6F906.thumb.jpeg.a6747740443486ce1549882650726bdb.jpeg9C2BEB7D-4030-49C1-BE31-4FCD442315C0.thumb.jpeg.1839129defd358a07ff94bb92e4c3063.jpeg

• Like 6

@WLemke

I was wondering what that big black thing was but the last picture cleared that up.  Are the lights plug in or hard wired? Costco sells real nice ones but they are plug in.

In my previous house I had hardwired fluorescent lights in the garage but swapped the bulbs for LEDs , made a nice difference and way cheaper

57 minutes ago, Cafeend said:

@WLemke

I was wondering what that big black thing was but the last picture cleared that up.  Are the lights plug in or hard wired? Costco sells real nice ones but they are plug in.

In my previous house I had hardwired fluorescent lights in the garage but swapped the bulbs for LEDs , made a nice difference and way cheaper

Hard wired. 

That’s a great idea. Didn’t realize you could buy LED tube lights. Nice. That makes this a “I’ll do it this weekend” kind of thing. 

1 hour ago, WLemke said:

Hard wired. 

That’s a great idea. Didn’t realize you could buy LED tube lights. Nice. That makes this a “I’ll do it this weekend” kind of thing. 

I was going that direction but then ran into the whole LED to ballast compatibility issue (on paper anyway).  It wasn't that they don't start or work OK, it's just that the efficiency or other parameters were not evaluated.  I went with the plug-in lights from Costco because they also saved me the trouble of wiring through the attic (ceiling is finished).  They daisy-chain.  The bad part about it is the outlet is not switched, so we manually turn them on as needed.  For me it was also one of those "put these lights in this weekend or a few months from now" type of decision.

I do have a couple of the old lights and I've put in the LED bulbs even though they're not certified with the ballasts, and they're working OK, :shrug: