IGNORED

Garage thread

ATXZJ

4 minutes ago, ATXZJ said:

what kind of sorcery is this!?!?!?

I need this for my 16 y/o🤣

Yeah that's how I know I've turned into my dad:  half my job is turning off lights around the house.  

I put a sensor light in the pantry (important with two teenage boys one is also 16) and it's awesome.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hard wired. 

That’s a great idea. Didn’t realize you could buy LED tube lights. Nice. That makes this a “I’ll do it this weekend” kind of thing. 
If you have T8 lamps you can buy a plug and play Led that works with ballast.. if they are the older T12 style you would have to bypass ballast, the end will be stamped with part number info denoting if t8 or t12. T stands for the shape, tubular, and the number denotes size in diameter measured in 1/8's of an inch so t8 is a tube 1" diameter.

There are some Led tubes that will work with or without ballast but sometimes buying a new led fixture is worth dealing with retrofitting old T12 fixtures...ive seen old sockets burn up when wired direct.

The downfall of most new LED fixtures is normally there is no replacement lamp, everything is integrated, so if it goes out you have to buy a whole new fixture

I would suggest a 4000k color...colors of lights are measured in Kelvin with the lower numbers being more yelllow...ie 2700k mimics traditional incandescent yellow and as you go higher in Kelvin the more white and blue you get...they say 65k is "daylight" but I find it offensive.
One misconception is color temperature, kelvin, is synonymous with brightness but it's not..if you want brighter look at lumens and CRI..lumens is actual light output and cri is color rendering index on a scale to 100...anything over 85 is good 90 or more is excellent....i think cri is more important than lumens in most cases

So in short...If you have t8 lamps just look for a "plug and play" option for an easy relamp...assuming your ballast are good.

Sent from my SM-A115AZ using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I started adding light sensors, one in the garage, one in the bike workshop area, one in the laundry room and one in the master closet. All of them have motion sensors and automatically turn off if there is no motion for 5 minutes. I am so used to them that when I have to turn off a light I get angry. I'd love one in the master bathroom but you don't want to be blasted by lights at 2am when you are trying to take a leak.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, skinned elbows said:

There are some Led tubes that will work with or without ballast but sometimes buying a new led fixture is worth dealing with retrofitting old T12 fixtures...ive seen old sockets burn up when wired direct.

They're either plug n play or (ballast) bypass, but not both...

I was going to go the Amazon route for led fixtures. But one of the reviews pointed out that many are not UL listed which can be a big red flag if theres ever a home insurance claim for fire. 

I got 6 of the Costco ones when they were on sale and now I can let the kids ride at night in the driveway/sidewalk if I roll up the garage doors. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedRider3141 said:

I was going to go the Amazon route for led fixtures. But one of the reviews pointed out that many are not UL listed which can be a big red flag if theres ever a home insurance claim for fire. 

Yes.  I replaced some round fluorescent tubes in a couple of ceiling fans with Amazon LED fixtures.  I went with the pricier ones (still fairly cheap) b/c they're UL listed.  Some of the stuff is so cheap but that's scary to me.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

New garage who dis? Still formulating plans but I'm thinking bench w/ storage, toolbox, and workspace on left. Either wall hanging or angle in bike storage on the right. Tool box is in the other garage for now. Can't figure out how to keep the squishy floor and do all the things. I like the squishy floor it's fun to walk on but as soon as I spill something gross on it I imagine it's done. Beer fridge is in the laundry just inside so I've got that covered.

PQdBsClO5uI8MFeRTeuC6h9JwJlelgPmYQzEfRSjIioPwL3s-ygddkwvuXzh7CMk9iGcs4XkqMLnht7uk62lz2N6PLq-Vs9gQLhMriBfJsJJ_7d9NZaIjZaTtpnlK2itVpTwi9vU4YdIyWk_nmrBVN5r5lVKmLPtn3P88JbyTB9iDBqcZDmmLWXQWELixMvfOs18x0dE8UGPvTNK3LNRcIECmyEjsDD-3Xf5hvW2aIvOfLwuzrV5ftrzujq-RMVjaAkck_zQpbtyYeUJs1hyNAW1Cd0Fa5Fq4Ayk_cx4AwG06OAUi6BLeDxyZqVtNshQ9syH-pZs9wtezHzgOF6zqNeq3Rt74DSERBhkBqoeNoODngv71hOnHOJ_O8Y7hyzGOwWcZKGMi_IDBpzzzE702nbp0bmVN2t8labAP54NswI3M3YeF-VoJeZ0A8wg_eEVDmLZb8J77jy1_XmHnkmqfK9HlcoeD9WtIO0C6cW6wshNGToAL31U6IIssZvjY8AMOFc-QJAuOwxjf0RhtCe8al6-in6ekWFLZTk8T5wBCHkUZPKBV1KW80FQanxMfqg36F6kO6xSzwkV2gdmrbLzkF6etIgiVPIMXQY160nSZp6hB7_2_-Jwc3m6IoeJ_e1aEX54yfNxZUc1imF1zFJvna6C02tlkNkvoABj0d9jlGZ_EbRMhykxF_1P5ua6e4pQGoYpeWSyEeBkj0TKaN1g1RN_6g=w1800-h1350-no?authuser=0

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Alright, spent the weekend on a little garage bike project. Still some parts waiting to come in to finish, but mostly there and the clean up.

Based on the Joy of Bike sliding bike rack - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_deob4L4AEY&t=64s

PXL_20210929_141142707.thumb.jpg.6aa989536dac7ae3577b160f46149866.jpgPXL_20210929_141154836.thumb.jpg.63fe02eab3b94051597eafd67bfe12f9.jpg

Using common 1 5/8 Super Strut

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Superstrut-1-5-8-in-x-1-5-8-in-Silver-Electroplated-Half-Slot-Channel-Strut/1000192655

For sliders/Trolleys - https://paulscustombrackets.com/

Medium Duty – two wheel - https://paulscustombrackets.com/product/1-5-8-strut-channel-trolley-medium-duty/

image.png.ab2785e61138124a21047b04219e1d88.png

Heavier Duty 4 wheel - https://paulscustombrackets.com/product/pcb10022d-aluminum-4-wheel-trolley-1-4-mounting-hole/

image.png.a0766c41e4fb54a014bd0fee592a73c3.png

These hooks from Park work perfect with the Paul’s 2 wheel trolly

image.png.e88a2fb4b760fc3068bf07d7163d95b5.pnghtt

ps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P9KP8W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and hold a 2.4” tire well

Going up a size with Park –

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009F96U7Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

image.png.1ca053e3aa3c0abdfe83211e9706bb2c.png

These hold a 3” tire no problem and are slightly larger all around. For these I recommend the Paul’s 4 wheel trolly.

If you order from Paul, let him know in the comments you are using the Park hooks. For the 2 wheel medium duty trolly, you need the hole opened up a tiny bit to fit an M8-1.25. For the 4 wheel trolly you need the hole tapped for an M10-1.5.

Thanks to @AntonioGG for the lead on the trolleys. All said and done I will have two fixed hooks (larger size) on the outside edges, and 7 sliding hooks in between. This is on an 8' length of strut. Correctly hung and slid together, I can get the 4 bikes on right now (while I wait on more trolley and hooks) into a 3' space. Added bonus the kids kayaks are up and out of the way, as well as my bins of used bits.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, June Bug said:

Did you go commercial or opt for DIY? 

Commercial. Little guy 5 wide is what we had for about 4 years. I actually sold it in July. We plan to start a family next year and will need something a bit bigger, and the market is incredible for those little things, so I unloaded it at the top. 

This was at Grand Lake, Colorado. 

9639C0DF-B43D-4F99-A845-53796C3C1665.jpeg

Edited by bestbike85