IGNORED

Garage thread

ATXZJ

Great idea on the proximity sensor to turn on lights.  

I was just looking more into the exhaust fan and it seems many z-wave devices (compatible with SmartThings and IFTTT hubs) include a temp sensor.  For $20 I can get a window sensor that includes a temp sensor, then use weather data to compute the delta and have the hub switch on an outlet. I could also get an indoor air quality monitor that would give me more data and criteria to switch the exhaust fan on (most have CO2, some have VOC sensors too.)  

My biggest challenge now will be to figure out an air inlet into the garage.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Teamsloan said:

That is awesomely nerdy. I like it.

I like just opening the door to the garage and flipping the breaker that my wall unit is powered by. Go back in the house for 5-10 min and then come back out to a temperate garage. If only they made remote operated 220V outlets.

They make them.  Aeotec makes a 40A 220V Z-wave outlet but it costs more than some window units.  🙂

The main reason I want it to be automated is to have it run in the coolest part of the day during the summer without having to leave the garage door open.  Right now, I put two box fans on the window pointing out, and I crack one garage door.  I don't have an AC in the garage. I've tried one of those standing ducted intake units.  It worked for hours to get the temp down to 85°C.  My double window is too small for a unit the size I need.  I mainly needed AC for when I had my trainer in the garage.  For working on stuff I don't need the AC.  I just point my pedestal fan at me.

Yeah, mine is an 18,000 BTU unit. I don't have windows in my garage so I got to cut a perfect sized opening in my wall for it. If I leave it running for too long I can get it down to the lower 70's in there during the summer.

I used to just use fans, but the humidity in the air still made working in the garage really sticky. I use my AC more for drying the air out than to cool things down. Sometimes I'll just kick it on for 20 min to dry the air out and then I shut it off. That's were having a remote would be really useful.

• Like 1

My contribution to the thread: A few years ago I somehow got my wife to agree to give up one of three garage bays.  I built a 2 x 6 insulated wall to separate it, did all my own electrical from panel to outlets, insulated the ceiling and other walls as well as the garage door.  I use a small portable unit (cheap) for AC when it gets hot and have a portable heater when for when it's too cold (rarely).  I run the TV (old unit) off of a spare Roku and stream live TV, youtube --shout out to all the local mtb  vid producers--;  I also stream my music (large computer collection) via Plex app or KUTX via Tune In app through a Bose bluetooth.  Garage + music room are my territory.  The wife owns the rest of the castle and as many throw pillows as she wants.  

BTW, bike shown is my old Titus Rockstar, bought from CJB's Hammerhead about 10 years ago, 29er now running as a full suspension converted single speed with Monarch XX remote lockouts, still lots of fun.  Main ride is now a Stache 29+ carbon, love it--have had it 2 yrs, also inspired by CJB's touting  his on Bike Mojo.   Bike 3 is a 20 year old KHS (first mtb) just converted to a 1x9 rigid  Frankenbike with slicks for neighborhood/not-so-serious road biking.   Main trails:  BC (close to home, ride to the ride) Walnut (close to work).  Occasional forays to RPR, RHR, Big Bend SP, other local trails.

I do all my own wrenching except for serious fork work and wheelbuilding.  May get to those soon.

A great rainy or too effing hot day off:  any bike maintenance/build  project or other garage project with good coffee and classic jazz (Miles, Coltrane, Brubeck, Oliver Nelson, etc); afternoons,  same with a beer and sports/KUTX  on in the background or a break to watch a mtb vid or two to get inspired for the next trail ride.  

Happy wrenching/riding to all.

garage pic.jpg

• Like 8

3 hours ago, RockChalk said:

My contribution to the thread: A few years ago I somehow got my wife to agree to give up one of three garage bays.  I built a 2 x 6 insulated wall to separate it, did all my own electrical from panel to outlets, insulated the ceiling and other walls as well as the garage door.  I use a small portable unit (cheap) for AC when it gets hot and have a portable heater when for when it's too cold (rarely).  I run the TV (old unit) off of a spare Roku and stream live TV, youtube --shout out to all the local mtb  vid producers--;  I also stream my music (large computer collection) via Plex app or KUTX via Tune In app through a Bose bluetooth.  Garage + music room are my territory.  The wife owns the rest of the castle and as many throw pillows as she wants.  

BTW, bike shown is my old Titus Rockstar, bought from CJB's Hammerhead about 10 years ago, 29er now running as a full suspension converted single speed with Monarch XX remote lockouts, still lots of fun.  Main ride is now a Stache 29+ carbon, love it--have had it 2 yrs, also inspired by CJB's touting  his on Bike Mojo.   Bike 3 is a 20 year old KHS (first mtb) just converted to a 1x9 rigid  Frankenbike with slicks for neighborhood/not-so-serious road biking.   Main trails:  BC (close to home, ride to the ride) Walnut (close to work).  Occasional forays to RPR, RHR, Big Bend SP, other local trails.

I do all my own wrenching except for serious fork work and wheelbuilding.  May get to those soon.

A great rainy or too effing hot day off:  any bike maintenance/build  project or other garage project with good coffee and classic jazz (Miles, Coltrane, Brubeck, Oliver Nelson, etc); afternoons,  same with a beer and sports/KUTX  on in the background or a break to watch a mtb vid or two to get inspired for the next trail ride.  

Happy wrenching/riding to all.

garage pic.jpg

what's that piece of furniture on the right rear corner?

Kind of garage-ish related and a warning. 

First, NEVER,  EVER put gasoline soaked clothes or rags in the washer.  Advice from the internet: Never ever put anything that still smells of gas in the dryer; it can catch fire.  

DH spilled some gasoline on the leg of his pants on Saturday.  Couldn't believe how much it smelled.  No problem, I thought, those pants go straight in the washer with some random clothes, hot setting, regular amount of laundry detergent and life goes on. 

But no.  The clothes still stink of gas fumes, the front-load washer stinks of gas fumes and I've tried all of the internet recommendations to get rid of gas stink.  

For the washer, one cycle each of the following (with no load): 

1. Wash cycle with 2 cups ammonia, soap and hot water. Worked about 75%
  2. Wash cycle 2 cups vinegar,  half box baking soda, and soap.  Result? Washer has stronger gas fumes
  3. Most of the clothes have been soaking in a bucket with hot water and high strength Simple Green and still smell of gasoline funk. 

One suggestion was to leave the pants out outside in the sun and then overnight, and they don't smell too bad.  These are expensive nylon Kuhl pants beloved by Crusty, so still need to wash them by hand with Dawn dish soap and try to salvage.  

So, lesson learned.  Again,  NEVER,  EVER put gasoline soaked clothes or rags in the washer.  They have to air out completely and then treat with Shout, Zhout or some enzyme based cleaner on the stain (according to the internet). 

Getting some Shout today to spray on the rubber gasket of the front-load washer and see if that helps. 

Any other suggestions that have really worked will be appreciated.  I'm close to throwing some of the clothes in the trash (cotton socks, washcloths, t shirt), but I like my washing machine and I can't wash clothes until this issue is solved.  

Edited by June Bug

When I used to wrench a lot, I used to wash everything, rags, clothes, gloves.  People that wrench know that combo smell of sweat, gas, wheel bearing grease, gear oil, regular oil.   I always used extra soap and Oxy (2-3x recommended per load). One time I washed rags that were probably too grease soaked to wash and they left grease spots in my washer.  I just used some white gas to clean it up.  Never had an issue with the smell of gas.

• 2 months later...

Harbor Freight is having a sale.  The flyer also has a 20% off coupon, good through the end of April. 

The US General tool chests are on sale from $159  and on up to a 44" x 22" double bank  tool chest on sale for $449. 

Santa went to Harbor Freight and bought one for Crusty for Christmas 2017.  The drawers pull out and close smoothly; it's sturdy and very handy and has casters, so you can roll it around. Some assembly is required.  Santa looked at a lot of tool chests (Sears and a few others) and the US General were cheaper, better made and sturdier. 

Just go to harborfreight.com and put "US General tool chest" in the search bar and it will bring up all the tool chests on sale.  You can get catalogs and the 20% off coupon on line. 

Edited by June Bug

I have one and I love it. Although I've modded mine to be able to open the drawers without opening the top lid. It means I can't lock the drawers shut anymore but I use the top as a counter top so often that I don't want to have to clear it off just to open the drawers.

I dunno, while I do have a selection of HF tools in my garage, CL, FB Marketplace, etc. usually always has some better constructed tool boxes for the same or less. 

https://austin.craigslist.org/tls/d/austin-craftsman-tool-box-180/6850862202.html

https://austin.craigslist.org/tls/d/austin-craftsman-roll-around-tool-box/6844532392.html

https://austin.craigslist.org/tls/d/austin-tool-box-tool-chest/6836096941.html

3 hours ago, Teamsloan said:

The HF boxes get consistently better reviews than the craftsman boxes as far as I've seen.

I would believe that for that for 2000's an up Craftsman. When new, for the money the HF is probably a better deal. But the older Craftsman stuff is solid. I was lucky enough to inherit my grandfather's Craftsman roll-away that he custom built in the late 70s for his job as a diesel mechanic with the DOT. It has been through him (grandpa), my dad and now me and has held up extremely well, even after a cross country move, loaded with tools. 

If needed a "new" tool box one I'd wait for an older craftsman, waterloo, mac, etc. If you need real new, then yeah, the HF are hard to beat.

1 hour ago, RedRider3141 said:

I would believe that for that for 2000's an up Craftsman. When new, for the money the HF is probably a better deal. But the older Craftsman stuff is solid. I was lucky enough to inherit my grandfather's Craftsman roll-away that he custom built in the late 70s for his job as a diesel mechanic with the DOT. It has been through him (grandpa), my dad and now me and has held up extremely well, even after a cross country move, loaded with tools. 

If needed a "new" tool box one I'd wait for an older craftsman, waterloo, mac, etc. If you need real new, then yeah, the HF are hard to beat.

You're right, old school craftsman is always awesome.

• 4 weeks later...

I am so guilty of keeping a messy workbench. About every 2 months I clean it all up and put everything back in a very organized process. Then it goes all to hell in a few weeks. I'm the same with tech stuff and cables. About once I year I open the "magic closet" that I have been throwing everything into and sort it all out, rebox it and typically give stuff away. But it takes a few hours. I guess my theory is save a minute here and a minute there, then pay it all back months later.  I need to get a better discipline but at 54 it still has not happened.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...