IGNORED

Garage thread

ATXZJ

3 hours ago, Teamsloan said:

But...it allows you to flip through your bike collection like the pages of your favorite book.

Ironically, I don't have room in my garage to use these racks. I looked in to them a long time ago as Feedback Sports used to (maybe still do) make a similar rack.

Exactly. I have little space for my bikes, essentially 3 wall studs. And there is an exterior door that opens right into the bikes (clearly I was limited in my storage space.) In that world being able to swing the bikes 6-12" to get in and out of the door is perfect. Without the swing, the door would only open halfway.

We need pretty titanium boutique bike builds so we can hang them as artwork in the living room.
It is not titanium but I am selling a beautiful Jailhouse blue Ventana El Comandante frame that would look amazing above your fireplace.
Check it out in the bikes for sale section.
You are welcome

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

• 7 months later...

Added an 3-paddle LED light in the work area of my garage. Some before and after pics. Bright as shit now, the harsher light will make it easier for the old man eyes to see what I am doing. $25 on amazon. The first two pics are the "after", the other two are the "before."

IMG_5083.jpeg

IMG_5082.jpeg

IMG_5081.jpeg

IMG_5079.jpeg

IMG_5078.jpeg

IMG_5077.jpeg

IMG_5075.jpeg

Edited by AustinBike
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

Added an 3-paddle LED light in the work area of my garage. Some before and after pics. Bright as shit now, the harsher light will make it easier for the old man eyes to see what I am doing. $25 on amazon. The first two pics are the "after", the other two are the "before."

Thanks for posting this, just ordered a couple.

Hmm, I have these old 4 foot fluorescent fixtures with new ballasts that I was going to pair up with some new 4 foot LED bulbs...until I found out my LED bulbs are not compatible with the particular ballasts.  I wonder if I can just replace my existing central light with one of these instead?

My main issue is when I'm working on the extremes of the garage.  My "shop" area has plenty of general and task lighting.

I also thank you for the post.  I'll order one, then decide on whether I need the extra fixtures.  (I'd even started removing the attic plywood so I could install the new fixtures...I should probably get to it one way or another before it gets hot again).

21 hours ago, Cafeend said:

Cool thanks... I've been curious about these. The paddle parts are adjustable right?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

yes, the rotate on one axis. You can kinda turn the fixture in the socket and still make a connection, allowing you to position the paddles for optimal coverage.

21 hours ago, CBaron said:

Funny you post this...I got suckered into one of these while lurking on my wife's FB account!  I think I paid $35 and it took a month to arrive.  But I'm pleased and it was simple to install.  Looks just like yours.

Later,
CJB

Mine was literally ordered on a Saturday morning and had it in my hands on Sunday. For all the bad things that Amazon does, when it comes to logistics they are *generally* ahead of everyone.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

anyone have some insight to safely storing flammable and combustible chemicals in the garage? I drove past a house in my neighborhood the other day that had a bad fire, and realized I have some stuff that could burn my house down in just the right conditions. How do I safely store these items? I have a surplus metal ammo box that could work, but it seals up really tight and that might be worse.

22 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

anyone have some insight to safely storing flammable and combustible chemicals in the garage? I drove past a house in my neighborhood the other day that had a bad fire, and realized I have some stuff that could burn my house down in just the right conditions. How do I safely store these items? I have a surplus metal ammo box that could work, but it seals up really tight and that might be worse.

Nope. But I've had the same thoughts, I've kinda been in the lookout for a reasonable flamibles cabinet which is what most companies would have if they need to store things like that. These are double walled metal cabinets and have a spring loaded door to ensure that they close. 

I store my gas cans next to the lawn mower and other gas powered yard tools one corner. The jugs of motor oil, coolant, and other auto related chemicals are on the opposite corner of the garage. Then the paint, polyurethane, and rattle cans are in the third corner. The paint thinner is under the sink. So, I guess my method is spread them out throughout the garage??

Honestly never thought about any of that stuff spontaneously igniting.

I never throw rags with solvents in the trash right after use them.  I always air them out outside before they go in the trash.  I keep all my chemicals together on a shelf.   We made a big step when we went electric for the yard tools (except the chainsaw) so  I don't keep gasoline except in the metal pre-mixed 1 quart cans for the chainsaw.  I've thought about a combustibles cabinet but almost any metal container would be an improvement.  The biggest thing is to not mix sparks/flames with any flammables.   My worst offense is when I had my cleaning tank filled with kerosene + detergent.  It is not sealed. I eventually emptied it out and took those containers to the hazmat facility.  I use only water soluble green cleaners like simple green or the Zep orange cleaner. 

I think a lot of garage fires start from degraded or overloaded breakers from what I've been finding.   I go check the breakers with an IR gun every once in a while, and especially after installing new appliances.

If you follow AFD on twitter, you'll see that about 1/3 of fires are from "improperly discarded smoking materials", 1/3 are from "improperly discarded or grilling too close to dwelling", and 1/3 are from miscellaneous including electrical.

What could go wrong?

image.thumb.png.643f401b70c42d35c39969b0bde713b5.png

That's another thing we've done in our house.  I've changed almost all the switches and outlets.  All were original from 1982, had the push in wire design, and some of the plastic was cracked...it's a miracle we haven't had more problems.  I use the screw terminals when I install the new ones, and I put separate GFCI outlets in the kitchens and bathrooms instead of sharing with the two exterior outlets. Probably a good idea to go GFCI in the garage too.  I thought I'd done all the outlets, but every once in a while, we move a piece of furniture and I find another one. I think I've gone through 3 contractor packs of outlets.  An outlet sitting by itself (i.e. not in use) is not my worry. The switches and breakers are my biggest worry.

I was excited to see this thread popup again. Now I'm terrified. I use Teamsloan's organizational method of spreading flammables into 3 corners, only with the fourth corner reserved for lighting the bong. 

My electrical is also a mess. When we moved in, we spent a shitload of money to upgrade and move the electrical panel from inside my son's closet to outside the house after my nextdoor neighbor told me how his house caught fire because of the same outdated - and recalled panel. I can't imagine the rest of the house is in tip-top shape.