IGNORED

All Trails - Rain Accumulation Data

Ridenfool

Ever find yourself asking, "How much rain did (insert trail here) get?"

Here's where to find the answer to that question ...

https://water.weather.gov/precip/

Use this site to see the rainfall accumulation for any trail.

Use zip code or map zoom to find the specific location of interest.

Use the Precipitation Slider to adjust transparency to reveal cities, roads, and landmarks for easier location of the riding area.

Map provides color coded historical rainfall data from Today, Yesterday, Past Week, etc. with controls to tune the view and data.

Share and enjoy.

Edited by Ridenfool
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, The Tip said:

I use Wunderground:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KTXAUSTI1203

It took me a long time to discover that I could click on "icon" to find the rain amounts all over my area. It only gives amount since midnight though.

You can change the view.  You can select yesterday or weekly mode to see the precipitation in the last week.  That gives a better idea of the saturation I think.  It's rare, but some weather stations actually include ground saturation readings.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/2/2018 at 11:39 AM, AntonioGG said:

Hydromet also has a soil moisture option.

Interesting... I had not ever noticed that on Hydromet. Took me a few minutes to find it even with your note! It doesn't seem to show anything for Walnut Creek park, unfortunately. Also, it looks like it is an estimate and not very localized. 

I have to wonder if there is a suitable sensor that we could stick into the ground near various parts of the trail and then network to get a decent idea of what the Walnut conditions are. 

Maybe the best measurement we have for Walnut is the Hydromet station at Walnut Creek and Metric?