IGNORED

City Park

So far as I can tell, it gets and stays muddy longer than WC or Brushy. Puddles, actually. But the motos will be out there rippin' anyway. You're certainly not doing the damage they are. It may be wet, but it'll be no worse off for you riding. 

i would say that 90% of the trail drains quite well. But that last 10% is either giant puddles that you can't really ride around or the super muddy section near the end.

I usually like to give it a day to dry out. But like Barry said, the motos are always going to be way worse for the trail, so you can ride it if you want.

I'm going out there in the morning tomorrow, and have ridden it in the rain, or after it has rained more so than riding it dry. Never had any issues other than getting a bit muddy, and a few spots of collected water. I also don't see that many people out there when I go ride, maybe one or two people on motos.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Barry said:

So far as I can tell, it gets and stays muddy longer than WC or Brushy. Puddles, actually. But the motos will be out there rippin' anyway. You're certainly not doing the damage they are. It may be wet, but it'll be no worse off for you riding. 

It depends what type of moto. The lightweight trials bikes (small, zippy, no seat) generally use their own little skills areas, well off the main trail. The larger 650 type motos never used to be at CP - they are are a more recent addition from when the last dirt park in Travis Co closed, some years back. These are the guys who are often less experienced, and rely on the brute force of their horsepower to get up ledges, generally causing widespread destruction on a single lap.

I remember riding out there the first Thanksgiving after the Travis Co dirt park closed - several families showed up on monster moto cross bikes - one guy tore round a corner as we dived off the trail, leaving a rut about 18" deep through the corner. Just so sad, and that's why CP no longer drains like it did.

I know the last section drains poorly, in the past when I rode it wet I would just take the last section of fence line up to the driveway, rather than that trail segment that dove back into the core of the MTB area. It seemed like that was the best way to avoid the sections of trail actually in dirt and not on rock.

I'll probably just hit the road instead, get a solid spin in instead.

I'm one of the trail stewards at City Park that spends quite a bit of time trying to address areas where puddles form, especially those that may linger for many days.  Quite a bit of progress was made this past winter (and the winter before, and  winter before that....) to alleviate several of those lingering puddle areas and also to reestablish proper drainage in other areas out there.  The currently known "wet spots" (I can think of about 4 right off the top of my head) seem to drain / dry out dry out fairly quickly, over a day or two.  But there will be places that hold water if you head out there right after a good rain event.   That has actually always been the case based on my recollection over the past 30 years of riding there.  The main difference with City Park and all the other trails further out is I don't come back all sticky muddy.  The soil out there handles water pretty well, and I find that I don't take much home with me.  Even though you can ride there in the wet, its best to just give it a day or two to dry out a bit.  That's what I've always done.  👍

Edited by zrx24
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, natas1321 said:

Can't say I've ever noticed traction issues out at city park wet or dry. Probably one of the reasons it's one of my go tos for a post rain or rainy day ride.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

I feel the same way. Have ridden out there wet a couple of times and it didn't seem bad at all. For whatever reason the limestone at Brushy Creek seems to get a lot slicker when wet.