IGNORED

Let's talk Air Compressors

Mostly because when it comes to things I can't fix myself I prefer to not buy someone else's problem. I use it so rarely that it is not worth the hassle, I already woke up to one dead one so far, don't need another one. 

I'd buy a bike from a pawn shop all day long because I can fix them. But for something like this I just want it to work.

If anyone wants to try to fix my old one they are welcome to it. @AntonioGG you have some electrical skills, this might be up your alley 😉

31 minutes ago, AustinBike said:

But for something like this I just want it to work.

I hate spending time fixing tools.  That includes computers.  I’ll do maintenance on stuff but someone else may want to try fixing it.  If the motor is not fried, it may just need a new control box.  I’d put it on the curb with sign “needs repair/necesita arreglar”.  Worst case it gets recycled as metal.

I have a vertical tank HF special. It's probably 10 years old now. I'm pretty active in my shop, and use my AC for a variety of tools and uses. I keep it topped off with compressor oil and drain the tank regularly. With the usual HF discount, I think I paid $175. Some assembly required. My guess, is that it will probably last many more years. Oh, it's loud AF.

• Haha 1

I bought this one about a year ago and have been very pleased with it.  The reviews seem to be pretty good (and I checked YouTube for reviews, not HF website)  Its done exactly what I need it to do without fuss.

https://www.harborfreight.com/merchandising-promotions/hot-buys/6-gallon-175-psi-high-performance-hand-carry-jobsite-air-compressor-56829.html

That said, I've recently purchased an upright, dual stage, oiled compressor from Lowes.  I'm planning to try and do some auto paint with it and needed something much bigger and more powerful.  Its a 30 gal with 4hp motor I got on closeout for $300.

Later,
CJB

16 hours ago, Yosmithy said:

I have a vertical tank HF special. It's probably 10 years old now. I'm pretty active in my shop, and use my AC for a variety of tools and uses. I keep it topped off with compressor oil and drain the tank regularly. With the usual HF discount, I think I paid $175. Some assembly required. My guess, is that it will probably last many more years. Oh, it's loud AF.

Running your air intake outside your shop will help with some of that noise.

I've seen a lot of decent Air Compressors suggested here but something no one has mentioned is to be aware that "the bigger the tank the longer the wait". Aka, if you just want to seat a tire you don't want one of the 20 gal ones. I have a 25 Gal and I use it for everything from bikes to automotive to carpentry. It's an ok compromise for me but If I wanted something just for seating tubeless I'd be looking at a smaller one or those air charger pumps. 

49 minutes ago, RedRider3141 said:

I've seen a lot of decent Air Compressors suggested here but something no one has mentioned is to be aware that "the bigger the tank the longer the wait". Aka, if you just want to seat a tire you don't want one of the 20 gal ones. I have a 25 Gal and I use it for everything from bikes to automotive to carpentry. It's an ok compromise for me but If I wanted something just for seating tubeless I'd be looking at a smaller one or those air charger pumps. 

If it’s not holding pressure between uses with the air valve shut off, something is wrong.

• Like 1

I just bought a California air tools 8010a and an air hose reel on Amazon. It’s awesome. Super quiet compared to my old one.  I haven’t touched my pump in weeks and I also use the air to help dry off the bike after washing it. I also picked up an inflator with a digital gauge.  Highly recommend it.   D1BA86AE-D87B-4778-9A75-9E4CEA5FA707.thumb.jpeg.b0d73d1f42d2d7cff8880cef5d269d3a.jpeg

65EF3CC5-E936-443E-A937-176E6F8E66A1.thumb.jpeg.6e8fc74e8be45210322db106b023540d.jpeg

Edited by crane
  • Like 4