IGNORED

Angel Fire

Sluggo

Anyone on here own a rental? Looking for a spot for 4 responsible, older adult males for late June. 🦖🦖🪕🪕🤘🤘

Edited by Sluggo
just ripping- no drinking or smoking.

• 1 month later...

Here's my Angel Fire input, since a topic exists. This was my first bike park experience.

$60 bucks. Lift open 9am - 4 pm. The longest I waited was 15 minutes which translates to about 40 folks in line. People said that was about normal for a busy day and that it never gets much longer than that.  I got in six runs for the day between 9 am and 2:30. I quit because I was tired, but it worked out because the lift was closed down because of weather coming in. (Stated several places: no refunds for any reason!)

EVERYONE wore full face helmets, except one couple I talked to. They said nobody gave them grieve for not wearing one. I rented one for $25. I never "used" it, thankfully, but I'm glad I rented it anyway.

I was nervous about the trail ratings, green/blue/black. When I ski, black trails are scary, and hard to get down. But I think that here black just means the jumps are bigger. So by the end I was not intimidated by anything. All the jumps are rollable or bypassable. No mandatory gaps or anything like that.

The trail maps break down the trails by "freeride" and "technical." I began to just seek out the freeride trails, regardless of rating color. Freeride is what I imagined a bike park as. Why ride the technical bumpy, chunky, rooty stuff that we have here in Austin in abundance? Especially at speed? The fun in tech for me here is choosing the line. There I was going so fast it was mostly just a test of my suspension going over everything. I asked a couple of people on the lift, making conversation, if they enjoyed that. One guy said yes, one guy agreed with me and said no. 

I saw all sorts of bikes out there. I would say that you don't need a downhill bike to enjoy the place. But I would say full suspension would be vastly better than a hardtail.

I would for sure go again if it was part of a trip to that part of the world. I wouldn't drive there just to do it. I am still sore two days after my day there. So I don't know if I could do two days in a row. But I'm an old man.

• Like 3