IGNORED

Elon on SNL

TheX

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly I'm kinda over the elon autism express. It's probably because my frustration with society's reliance on technology, and the promise to "solve" all our problems through some sort of innovation rather than changing our destructive habits. And lets not forget, tech will solve it for a fee. I would imagine if a country that put a man on the moon over 50 years ago using hand calculated mathematics had stayed the course, we'd already be way, way ahead of what space X is doing now. Cold war was the driving force in that, and so here we are.

Build a machine that makes air, water or topsoil and we can talk. Otherwise it's just more hype to drive up stock prices and make money while the world burns.

Rant/off

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 2

On 5/21/2021 at 3:10 PM, ATXZJ said:

promise to "solve" all our problems through some sort of innovation rather than changing our destructive habits. 

gonna need at least as long as humans have formed societies to curtail our destructive habits. Maybe in another 20 thousand years we MIGHT have gotten over it...

Just now, jcarneytx said:

gonna need at least as long as humans have formed societies to curtail our destructive habits. Maybe in another 20 thousand years we MIGHT have gotten over it...

I doubt human civilization will last another 20K years.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, TheX said:

I doubt human civilization will last another 20K years.

Maybe not THIS one, but humans will still be around,. I think, at this point, humans are too good at manipulating their environment. OK, there might be significantly less humans at some point in the future, but however many there are, will find a way to survive. 

• Like 1

The way we behave and the amount of damage we've done to this planet in such a short amount of time leads me to believe we will not have as much time here as the dinosaurs did. We talk about colonizing other planets but I think the money and brainpower to do that would be better utilized to fix all the damage we've done here. Or I guess we'll treat all planets the same way we treated this one, as a disposable commodity. Bill Hicks said it best "we're a virus with shoes".

• Like 1

We're not going to make it. One theory associated with the Fermi Paradox is that intelligent life inevitably uses their technology in self-destructive ways that stop it from ever reaching the stars, so to speak. Elon Musk is making cool toys that will be subjected to the whims of capital, so it won't benefit humanity in the long run. he'll make his class richer in the meantime, though. Blade Runner is a work of prognostication, not just science fiction.

see also: Jacques Ellul.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 2