IGNORED

Maybe it's the beer talking....

AustinBike

Came home from riding and a couple beers at Pinthouse.  Wife was watching some trashy TV and I did not care for that so went into the office and pulled out the bass. Tossed on some REO Speedwagon songs from childhood. Probably played the shit out of that live album doing god knows what in the late 70's.

Yeah, I go downstairs and forget what I was going down to get but I can still play "Son of a Poor Man" and remember all of the words. What is up with that???

Anyway, it's weird to think about kids these days and the music that they listen to. The amazing part is the consumption model. The rote memorization of all of these songs from childhood is amazing.

• Like 1

I have no idea. But they live in a world of streaming music and curated lists. For us old guys, a small universe of music, played over and over and over, sealed it in our brains. When I used to fly to Japan I would always put on Cheap Trick, live at Budokan in homage of the trip as soon as we took off. I know every word of every song, 40 years later. I don't think that the kids will have that.

• Like 1

I never played Disney / kiddie music in my car and drove the kid to daycare and school her first 10-11 years. She knows the lyrics to probably 60% of what I play. So do several of her friends. Unfortunately she knows just as much Taylor Swift, etc. and they love to torture me with it and the occasional country pop crap. Like us it’s what their exposure was and my parents rarely listened to music. I have it on in the car, garage, etc. so she’s exposed to it and learned it. Gotta parent them to teach them the difference between musicians and top 40 crap that’s ghost written and over produced. They were around in the 80’s too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

indeed, it's hard for a musician to record an "album" anymore because single songs rule the market. the history of recorded music is not that long. times change.

You’d be surprised how many kids now have monthly streaming services that let them download the whole album. It’s the millennials that were the 1 song at a time crowd. My teenager and her friends do more playlist by artists of their whole catalog then you’d imagine.

Different world. They stream and watch an entire tv series vs live tv and share albums/artists vs radio / mtv.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chongo Loco said:

You’d be surprised how many kids now have monthly streaming services that let them download the whole album. It’s the millennials that were the 1 song at a time crowd. My teenager and her friends do more playlist by artists of their whole catalog then you’d imagine.

Different world. They stream and watch an entire tv series vs live tv and share albums/artists vs radio / mtv.

Same here. As parents of 20 & 17 y/o girls, i can say they can and will sing entire albums from their childhood on.  Youngest has been into musicals her whole life. God help us.

BUT, once they hit HS the two of them had to suffer through our music and that included (un) healthy doses of slayer. Payback time😁

Edited by ATXZJ

It's funny because in the past, our parents were the ones who were supposed to be boring and afraid off their kids music & art, but this generation is kinda dull. Probably not a bad thing I suppose. Moving to Austin and seeing lots of live music and exhibits seemed to help. Grupo fantasma at stubbs was their first real concert and they loved it.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to know "what the kids are listening to", check out Rick Beato's YT channel. Guy is a long-time producer, really knows his stuff. Never heard of most of the artists on the "top" lists (well, pop, anyway. Some I know. But the top rock lists are a bit more familiar) but his breakdown on each song is really good. I've started watching his masterclass on music theory, and just might get his books, but in the meantime, his videos are gold. 

top rock: 

top pop: