IGNORED

Whole house surge protection

Mattlikesbikes

Our ranch in Canyon Lake had a lightning strike last week, lost power but also lost a few devices (router, well pump controller). 

Anyone here have a whole house surge protector they like? Looking for something I can install in the service panel on the pole vs in the house at the subpanel.

Also, any thoughts on lightning protection on a metal building?

Yeah, it was really strange. We have to meters, two transformers, two service panels.

Pole A - Cabin/well house - the well house breaker was manually OFF, but it still fried a capacitor in the well control system. Flipped the cabin main breaker, flipped a couple individual breakers in the subpanel, fried the main board in the Fiber internet box (outside), fried the router. Did something to the fridge control panel, which took resetting twice to get the fridge back on (but I don't trust it anymore).

Pole B - Barndo - most breakers manually off - no impact to the sub panel in the barndo, but one breaker flipped to landscape lights. Transformer and pole fuse/breaker fried. 

Most concerning is that the well house breaker was manually off (as it always is when we leave the property) and yet, we got an arc in the panel that fried a capacitor (assumed, could just be coincidence). I manually flip a lot of breakers off when we leave, as we just don't need them on. Not happy to see that might not also protect them from surge.