IGNORED

Austin-approved flat pedals

I've gotten my money's worth out of a pair of Issi Thump pedals, but the rocks have taken their toll:

1423874181_ScreenShot2020-12-14at11_33_39AM.png.58f8a29d7d0532e90498d9c46b3225e9.png

The pin on the same side, right end of this pedal just gave out, too.

I really liked the shape and grip, but either "plastic" pedals are not doing it for me, or I need a stronger plastic pedal. I'm leaning toward something:

• metal and strong
  • not so big, size 44 shoes
  • thin profile (Shimano XTs seem too tall for my liking)
  • moderate price, don't need the ti bits and bling machining for over $100

What pedals have you tried that won't die?
(I rode clipped in for a decade and have no interest in going back, just to pre-empt that discussion.)

Edited by mack_turtle

Check out the Spank flat-pedal collection. I use the Spike pedals, which are barely under $100. I've got them on both of my bikes and have never lost a pin. They can be rebuilt without any special tools. I've been riding mine for a couple of years without the need for a rebuild though. Looks like they have a couple of models at an even lower price point, but they aren't as thin.  

PEDALS – SPANK Industries (spank-ind.com)

• Like 1

I tell everyone I can about the pedals I've been running for over a year now.

https://www.transitionbikes.com/Store_Detail.cfm?C=&SC=&P=12925

Anvl is Transition's house brand. The size is good, it's got a nice concave shape, it's got replaceable pins, and it's held up well to the local chunk. I get a lot of pedal strikes (unfortunately) and these things seem to take them in stride. Also, the price is super competitive and it comes in a bunch of colors (well, when they are in stock, that is...). They are also very easy to service.

• Like 1

one thing about "plastic" pedals—we all know that plastic breaks in ways that metal does not. pedals are then cheap, but throwing out the whole pedal after a few bashes seems wasteful. Odyssey makes the OG bmx pedals that bolt together like two halves of a pedal sandwich. when you destroy one side from doing magic carpet grinds, new halves are cheap and easy to replace.

Chromag is making the Synth pedal, which looks like a pretty basic plastic pedal for $65. after you bash the hell out of those, a new pedal body is only $18. if you really like the feeling of plastic pedals (I am on the fence about this), that's a great option. (Issi does not have replacement Thump bodies.) however, if an aluminum pedal just feels better and lasts much longer, there's probably no point in replacing individual parts.

5 hours ago, ATXZJ said:

DMR v12s are great for mid sized feet. I've been using DMR vault pedals for years with no failures. Can't beat the concave grip 

Chain reaction or Merlin for best prices

+1 for DMR Vaults. Going on four years now and no play all pins are intact and they look like they've been through hell.

• Like 2

I've used several and like most that I have tried.

DMR vaults are good and take a beating, no issues but a little heavier.

Diety black Kats are probably my favorite and have been running a set for 3-4 years now with no issues. Take a beating, and really grip the shoes well.

One up components are on one of my bikes but may be a little on the need more maintenance side as I have had to replace the bearings on them about once every 1-1.5 years. They are light and grippy though.

Chromag contacts like how they look and are quite durable, a little heavy.

Chromag dagga are grippy and heavy and the pins really like to tear you up if they slip.

Yoshimura pedals did not really like them, just felt a bit off and my feet kept slipping with them. Ended up giving them to my son to try them out and I believe he moved on from them.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

• Like 3