IGNORED

Any Ripley owners?

I’m on a Ripmo V2. I got it because I was looking for a versatile ride that I could take to Spider Mountain two or three times a month. I’ve been riding mostly at BCGB lately because it seems to make the most use of my suspension.

I got an offer to trade for a Ripley that I’m considering because it might make riding at Walnut and Brushy a little more exciting, and I could get some variety. But I’m worried it’ll make BCGB overwhelming. 

Can any Ripley or short travel owners chime in?

1 minute ago, radicalpugilism said:

I’m on a Ripmo V2. I got it because I was looking for a versatile ride that I could take to Spider Mountain two or three times a month. I’ve been riding mostly at BCGB lately because it seems to make the most use of my suspension.

I got an offer to trade for a Ripley that I’m considering because it might make riding at Walnut and Brushy a little more exciting, and I could get some variety. But I’m worried it’ll make BCGB overwhelming. 

I ride a hard tail.  Everywhere.  I have a few friends who ride Singlespeeds, everywhere.  

Ride what you choose.  Underwhelming, overwhelming, is a state of mind.

Later,
CJB

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, radicalpugilism said:

I got an offer to trade for a Ripley.

If you care about having a warranty, I would not trade. Ibis only honors the warranty to the original owner. 

Both the ripley and the Ripmo are great bikes for Austin and you won’t be under or over whelmed with either one no matter where you ride. 

I’m of the mind that mountain biking is 80% rider skill and 20% bike capability. Switching to a shorter travel bike isn’t going to make walnut or brushy more exciting. Your skill level increasing will make it more exciting. 

keep ripping the Ripmo my man. It’s an amazing bike. 

Edited by WLemke
  • Like 3

I’ll trade you my Ripmo V1 frame for your V2 frame. It’s a little less travel and a slightly steeper head tube angle.

I selected the Ripmo for the same reasons as you did. At the time, I was expecting to be hitting Spider Mtn, Bentonville, and other possible big bike ride locations around the country while still needing something that could fly around WC on a Tuesday night. This bike fits every bit of that bill. While it’s favorite place is BCGB, it still does great pedaling “the easy trails”.

That being said, the Ripley is an equally great bike. Just shift that wide capability window closer to the XC race end of the spectrum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that these may not be the answers that you've been looking for.  However, in my experience MANY riders have a confirmation bias towards their purchases.  Its hard (not impossible), but hard, to get quality feedback that may relate 'to you' out of people who may own the bike.  This is largely because riding styles, locations and ultimately "why" someone rides their bike makes a huge difference.  My specific flavor of riding has centered around longer distance events with a strong mixture of technical riding.  Over time, I've found some riders who share my specific proclivity to how I approach 'the bike' and I trust and value their judgement a lot.  Much of anything else can come across as noise to me.

Good luck in your search.  Hopefully someone with a Ripley can help get you more of what you are looking for.
-CJB

On 5/16/2021 at 4:08 PM, radicalpugilism said:

Can't comment on Ripley vs Ripmo but I hear both are great bikes. Have you ridden the Ripley?

On 5/16/2021 at 5:07 PM, WLemke said:

I’m of the mind that mountain biking is 80% rider skill and 20% bike capability. Switching to a shorter travel bike isn’t going to make walnut or brushy more exciting. Your skill level increasing will make it more exciting. 

Agree and disagree here. It does come down to skill. Turner used to say pros could ride frozen dogshit downhill and be competitive.

I will say that I have a 100mm XC-ish carbon bike and a 180mm high pivot basher. Recently took the 100mm rig to spider and had a great time on it. Hate to admit, but I was having a little more fun than I usually do with my big bike. Would I select that for all MTB parks? No. But riding at the bikes limits time to time can be a lot of fun. For the other 90% of the time I ride it's perfect.

IMHO a 100-130mm rig works really well in CTX.

Edited by ATXZJ

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

I never know if the advice to "just buy another bike" is serious or sarcastic. do many of you just casually drop several thousand bucks on a new bike because you want something different?

We do this seasonally.  What we don't do anymore is have multiples of the same platforms. We just ride for a bit and sell now.

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the responses!

I’ve spent a lot of time on the Ripley, but not in Austin. So maybe a demo isn’t the worst idea  

And I would totally get two bikes if my girlfriend were okay with us storing another 29er in our one bedroom apartment. And if she were okay with me dropping way more money than I should. 

I’m still pretty undecided.

45 minutes ago, radicalpugilism said:

I’ve spent a lot of time on the Ripley, but not in Austin. So maybe a demo isn’t the worst idea  

And I would totally get two bikes if my girlfriend were okay with us storing another 29er in our one bedroom apartment. And if she were okay with me dropping way more money than I should. 

So, it's the bike or the girlfriend? That's a tough one. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

IMO, Ripmo can still be super fun at Walnut and Brushy. And the Ripley is more than capable of riding the greenbelt. 

If you prefer plowing through stuff and still plan on hitting some bike parks, stick with the Ripmo. If you want to go for longer 3+ hour rides, and be a little more diligent about line choice, then Ripley it is.

The warranty piece needs to certainly be considered as well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, circuitbreaker said:

IMO, Ripmo can still be super fun at Walnut and Brushy. And the Ripley is more than capable of riding the greenbelt. 

If you prefer plowing through stuff and still plan on hitting some bike parks, stick with the Ripmo. If you want to go for longer 3+ hour rides, and be a little more diligent about line choice, then Ripley it is.

The warranty piece needs to certainly be considered as well.

This is prolly the advise you were looking for.  Simple. succinct and true.

-CJB

• Like 1

4 hours ago, radicalpugilism said:

I’ve spent a lot of time on the Ripley, but not in Austin.

long shot—are you in San Antonio? Do you have an obsession with pugs, so much so that you ran a pug-centric clothing company at some point? or am I thinking of someone else.

9 hours ago, mack_turtle said:

I never know if the advice to "just buy another bike" is serious or sarcastic. do many of you just casually drop several thousand bucks on a new bike because you want something different?

Well, I bought a mountain bike so I could ride it on terrain that my cyclocross or road bike can't really do. So it makes sense that you could have different type mountain bikes for different trail types. I have three - short, mid, and long travel.

I ask because most people don't have quite that much disposable income. Bikes are expensive. Suggesting that someone should just blow thousands of dollars on multiple bikes assumes a lot. People raising children and people with debt should not take these decisions lightly, and shaming them for being cautious is not helpful.

Just seems weird to me and my blue collar upbringing to assume that everyone has that much money to throw around. When I read a comment like that, I take it as a joke because almost no one I know casually makes purchases like that. If that comment was directed at me, I'd laugh and say, "of course, let me just pull all this money out of my butthole and do that, *wink*."

Edited by mack_turtle

20 hours ago, radicalpugilism said:

You have to ask your girlfriend if you can buy another bike? .....Somethings not right here? 

Edited by Bart

2 hours ago, Bart said:

You have to ask your girlfriend if you can buy another bike? .....Somethings not right here? 

Nah, it’s totally right. 

We live in a one bedroom and I refuse to keep my bike in the locker area because of all the thefts. So the bike stays in our living room and takes up space. 

• Like 2