IGNORED

Annual Suspension Service

My SB130 is due for an annual fork/shock service.  812MTBSuspension doesn't seem to be operating any more.  Who's the go to now?  I'm happy to pay more to get it turned around fast (24-48 hours) and avoid sending anything in to Fox.  Thanks.

I can confirm that cycle progression has the ability to do a full service on Fox suspension. Typically takes them 48-72 hours to turn it around. 

Its been mentioned in the past that select BSS locations had the ability to service Fox suspension but that may no longer be the case with the sale to Trek. 

Edited by WLemke

2 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

DIY. it's not hard.

Lower service is easy.

It sounds like OP is looking for a full annual service which includes rebuilding the damper. It’s definitely not easy and there are some specialized tools that your average home mechanic will not have laying around. Aluminum soft jaws for your vice, ifp depth gauge, and a nitrogen filling set up are the big ones that come to mind. 

5 hours ago, WLemke said:

I can confirm that cycle progression has the ability to do a full service on Fox suspension. Typically takes them 48-72 hours to turn it around. 

And I can confirm that in the past, this shop has botched at least two of these full services - I know, because one of them became mine and I had to replace the uppers or the lowers, I forget which. I believe that mechanic has moved on, but I think it's worth issuing a cautionary note. I know the turnaround is tempting, compared to a lengthy delay with Fox or Push Industries, but at least check what their policy is, in the event that you are unhappy with the work.

Edited by TAF

22 minutes ago, WLemke said:

Lower service is easy.

It sounds like OP is looking for a full annual service which includes rebuilding the damper. It’s definitely not easy and there are some specialized tools that your average home mechanic will not have laying around. Aluminum soft jaws for your vice, ifp depth gauge, and a nitrogen filling set up are the big ones that come to mind. 

ah, i didn't read that correctly. I was considering when I would need to rebuild the Fox damper on my fork and holy shite that's complex! I would love to DIY but it requires so many specialty tools that I can't justify it.

I did the lowers on my fork recently and should probably do the damper the next time around. so I'll be watching this for a real answer.

Edited by mack_turtle

2 hours ago, RedRider3141 said:

Cycleast, did a full rebuild on my Fox RP23 Shock. It's a bit of a drive from the north End but not too bad considering pandemic traffic.

https://g.page/cycleast?share

I think pandemic traffic is a thing of the past.  3:15pm from S. Congress and 290 to Riata Trace park was full on heavy traffic with some stop-and-go in spots.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm about to service my rock shox damper which everything indicates is user serviceable with some syringes and fittings. What fox really needs to do is get with the program and go back to having user serviceable things. I think we're all hoping that the explosion in bike popularity keeps up but with it comes heightened demand for service at shops and at manufacturers so why not try to lessen some of that by letting advanced user service their own stuff more easily.

• Like 1

Well, I'm just going to say this. but if it were me dropping my fork off for service at Cycleast (their mechanic used to work at Cycle Progression), I would ask for credentials regarding their ability to service Fox forks, as well as the shop's policy on work which the buyer considers is unsatisfactory. To be fair, I ask this pretty anyplace which works on suspension, but most of the time they are out of state.

1 minute ago, TAF said:

Well, I'm just going to say this. but if it were me dropping my fork off for service at Cycleast (their mechanic used to work at Cycle Progression), I would ask for credentials regarding their ability to service Fox forks, as well as the shop's policy on work which the buyer considers is unsatisfactory. To be fair, I ask this pretty anyplace which works on suspension, but most of the time they are out of state.

Good to know. Thanks. 

Has anybody used Dirtlabs or a similar mail-in place?

17 minutes ago, crane said:

I've used Dirtlabs for a rear shock rebuild and service. Really fast turn, great communication and reasonable pricing. 

I'll do the vast majority of my own service, but I can rarely be bothered to service suspension. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, crane said:

I just used Trail Labs. it was a generally good experience. you're looking at a week minimum downtime. 

And since you are paying for shipping, it doesn't seem like the most efficient process. But you are paying for piece of mind. 

On 5/18/2021 at 7:13 PM, Shanerpvt said:

I am interested on people’s thoughts and experiences on the PUSH eleven6 & ACS3 fork conversion.  Both appear to require less PM

thoughts?

I haven't used these units. But I think I've found a pretty good strategy to pm - what I do is put a coating of slickoleum on the fork and shock stanchions. This catches all the dust and grime so the seals have an easier time stopping it. Then every couple of rides I wipe it off with a cloth and re-apply. I rode my Fox 34 for two years before doing a lowers service, and the foam rings were barely discolored. I also use fenders front and rear to reduce what gets thrown up by the tires. 

17 hours ago, ssorgs said:

James Balentine of velofix austin does housecalls (contactless before it was cool)!

I'd trust James to do a good job. He's outstanding on wheels and I believe he's thorough, methodical, and has good attention to detail so I'd trust him for suspension.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 7:18 PM, mack_turtle said:

Fox needs to get with the program. They're missing a big opportunity to sell a service because they haven't geared up for a faster turnaround on servicing their own products. If someone like Andre isn't making the investment in tools, very few will.

I had my 2017 Fox Factory Boost 34 Fit4 sent in for service nearly two months ago and finally got the assessment back today. Needs new stanchions and new damper, along with complete servicing. Cost is going to be $468 including shipping - ouch! They claim I'm getting the parts at cost. I had never noticed any visible damage to the stanchions myself, but have no reason to believe they would just want to scam me. It was last serviced locally. Since I already replaced the Fork with a new one, this one is just going to be used for service rotations. 

What's really sad is that my other bike also has a Fox Fork that needs service. It's an even older non-boost 2014 Evolution Series fork that's also been serviced locally over the years. Would it be worth taking it over to Cycle East for an inspection vs. having it sent to Fox?  

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, throet said:

I had my 2017 Fox Factory Boost 34 Fit4 sent in for service nearly two months ago and finally got the assessment back today. Needs new stanchions and new damper, along with complete servicing. Cost is going to be $468 including shipping - ouch! 

Knowing Fox, if they found the tiniest imperfection that makes the fork look and operate like it's anything less than brand new, they are going to insist on replacing everything. I would not be surprised if you took a new fork out of the box, blew some dust on it, and sent it to them for service, they would insist on replacing the CSU and rebuilding the damper. they could be right, but they are super sticklers about everything being perfect.

Edited by mack_turtle
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

Knowing Fox, if they found the tiniest imperfection that makes the fork look and operate like it's anything less than brand new, they are going to insist on replacing everything. I would not be surprised if you took a new fork out of the box, blew some dust on it, and sent it to them for service, they would insist on replacing the CSU and rebuilding the damper. they could be right, but they are super sticklers about everything being perfect.

Ugh! I'm already regretting my decision to move forward with that rebuild. I've seen multiple posts online where folks illustrate how some of those imperfections can be fixed, and others who simply state that they aren't a big deal. Found another video where the Kashima coated stanchions were replaced with much cheaper black stanchions, which I'm sure would not make the least bit of difference for me. Oh well, costly lesson learned I suppose. 

Anybody interested in a freshly rebuilt (by Fox) 2017 Factory 29 Boost 34 with brand-new Fit4 damper and brand-new Kashima coated stanchions for $500? Available as soon as it arrives back to me, and will supply paperwork as evidence of the work being done. 

• Like 5