IGNORED

Annual Suspension Service

4 minutes ago, throet said:

Found another video where the Kashima coated stanchions were replaced with much cheaper black stanchions.

That would send me into a rage. I have black ones, and they are still better than my riding will ever need, but...that would (and should) piss people off.

Edited by TheX
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, throet said:

Ugh! I'm already regretting my decision to move forward with that rebuild. I've seen multiple posts online where folks illustrate how some of those imperfections can be fixed, and others who simply state that they aren't a big deal. Found another video where the Kashima coated stanchions were replaced with much cheaper black stanchions, which I'm sure would not make the least bit of difference for me. Oh well, costly lesson learned I suppose. 

Anybody interested in a freshly rebuilt (by Fox) 2017 Factory 29 Boost 34 with brand-new Fit4 damper and brand-new Kashima coated stanchions for $500? Available as soon as it arrives back to me, and will supply paperwork as evidence of the work being done. 

I've got a couple of buddies riding beater bikes that need new forks let me ask around.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mack_turtle said:

@throet with what fork are you going to replace it? I'll probably ride my current Fox fork into the ground but I'll need something else eventually. I'd pick something more user-friendly for service. 

I already replaced it with a 2020 Fox Factory 140mm Grip2 fork. The one being rebuilt would just be a spare for me. I'd rather spend that repair money though on either servicing or replacing the fork that's on my backup bike, which is non-boost. In the overall scheme of things, having a spare fork is a luxury I can do without.     

35 minutes ago, Mattlikesbikes said:

I've got a couple of buddies riding beater bikes that need new forks let me ask around.

Oh forgot to mention, it's currently set at 130mm and can be adjusted to 120mm or 140mm with the proper air spring. 

• Like 2

This is the main reason I stay away from fox.

My XC bike has a fox factory shock on it thats overdue for a damper service and I'll be sending it out for that. Otherwise i stick with rockshox because I can order just about any part and do the services myself. I've also heard nothing but good things about the Grip 2 damper so there's that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mack_turtle said:

Knowing Fox, if they found the tiniest imperfection that makes the fork look and operate like it's anything less than brand new, they are going to insist on replacing everything.

I've heard the same, then again, they support a lot of privateers who expect that kind of service. I wish they had a "Weekend Warrior" level of service where they take it down a notch.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RedRider3141 said:

I've heard the same, then again, they support a lot of privateers who expect that kind of service. I wish they had a "Weekend Warrior" level of service where they take it down a notch.

when i was a mechanic, I usually offered a few levels of service for every bike that came it. I can make your bike safe and functional, or I can make it as close to "like new" as possible. going 110% was not necessary for every customer, but many were happy to do everything because they only take their bike in once every few years. that's the way it should be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ATXZJ said:

nothing but good things about the Grip 2 damper so there's that

Yeah that's another part of my regret. I'm diggin' the new 140mm Grip2 way more than I ever did that Fit4. Not sure if it would have been possible, but if they were going to have to change out the damper anyway, I should have asked them to make it a Grip2. 

• Like 1

This thread has me bummed. Anyone had success with local Fox Suspension work? 

Got great service from 812 but their MTB tech is gone. Got solid to okay service from BSS over the years. Before they closed they actually referred me to 812 for service on my Float X2.

I would assume most shops could handle a Fox fork lower leg service and damper bleed? Has anyone recently got this done on their Fox fork?

2 hours ago, AustinBike said:

I probably have a RockShox Pike with little or no use on it that I was gonna put up for sale now that covid has subsided. Would be a 100mm axle (non boost) and a 140mm travel, which I believe may be set up for 130mm these days.

Maybe.... What wheel size? 

Alright you Rock Shox lovers and maintenance experts.  I have a 2014 Sid XX World Cup that feels good for a few rides after a service, then after that it just feels off.  The lockout doesn't do anything and high speed feels like a rigid, and low speed feels like a pogo stick.  What should I be looking into?  This fork is why I'm so anti-Rock Shox but I hear others also hate the Sid.

15 minutes ago, AntonioGG said:

Alright you Rock Shox lovers and maintenance experts.  I have a 2014 Sid XX World Cup that feels good for a few rides after a service, then after that it just feels off.  The lockout doesn't do anything and high speed feels like a rigid, and low speed feels like a pogo stick.  What should I be looking into?  This fork is why I'm so anti-Rock Shox but I hear others also hate the Sid.

Most likely a motion control damper issue. You could try and fix, but those dampers are super cheap. Wifes XC rig has a 2015 SID RCT3 120mm and when it has a failure it'll go on the pay it forward thread or in a dumpster.   @AustinBike PIKE would be a game changer compared to the SID.

Use this to look up your service parts

https://trailhead.rockshox.com/en/

Edited by ATXZJ
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

I ended up getting my fork and shock rebuilt at cycle progression. It took them a few weeks to get the parts in that they needed but once they had then they gave me a call to come drop my bike off. Turnaround was just under a week and everything seems to be functioning correctly.  Good experience overall. 

• Like 2

Anyone have any recommendations for a Specialized/Fox Brain rear shock service? AFAIK there are no local service options. A year or so ago 812 was planning to get the tools to do the service but that doesn't appear to be an option any time soon.

I am considering sending it to Risse.

1 hour ago, GFisher said:

Anyone have any recommendations for a Specialized/Fox Brain rear shock service? AFAIK there are no local service options. A year or so ago 812 was planning to get the tools to do the service but that doesn't appear to be an option any time soon.

I am considering sending it to Risse.

https://www.specializedaustin.com/

You can start here, but they’ll probably ship it to Specialized for service. Chase worked for BSS and moved over when they “opened” a Specialized shop here. CP and Bike Farm should also be able to help you out since they both carry Specialized. 

2 hours ago, Sluggo said:

https://www.specializedaustin.com/

You can start here, but they’ll probably ship it to Specialized for service. Chase worked for BSS and moved over when they “opened” a Specialized shop here. CP and Bike Farm should also be able to help you out since they both carry Specialized. 

Thanks. In the past I have just had it sent in through BSS. After reaching out to some shops it appears the Rockshock/Brain units need to go to Specialized but quite a few suspension shops work on the Fox/Brain unit, which is what I have. 

• Like 1