IGNORED

Rear Automatic Braking

I had an '03 and an '06. Loved them. This is the '06 the day I bought it.

If you could jam the 280 hp V6 in my ridgeline in an Element I’d never own a different vehicle. Just a bit hard to fit 3 adults, 2 dogs and all the luggage/bikes/etc and drag that little 4 banger up a mountain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Chongo Loco said:

If you could jam the 280 hp V6 in my ridgeline in an Element I’d never own a different vehicle. Just a bit hard to fit 3 adults, 2 dogs and all the luggage/bikes/etc and drag that little 4 banger up a mountain.

I was the only person in mine, along with some bikes. A v6 would have been great!

20 hours ago, RedRider3141 said:

BMW, for example gets a bad rap for being un-reliable and expensive to maintain. Well, BMW doesn't (at least not anymore) design/market/sell their cars for anyone but the first buyer who will likely bring the car in for every service. Once the lease is up/ maintenance program expires it goes on to a 2nd owner who is buying it for different reasons. For that reason, BMW (and other "luxury" brands) has had some pretty advanced technology MUCH earlier than others. I had an '88 BMW 325 with 270K with more options and technology, better MPG and more comfortable than my 20 year newer 2008 Subaru. https://www.bmwusa.com/explore/bmw-value/bmw-maintenance/terms-and-conditions.html

Yeah, my first BMW was basically trouble free. My second one had a manufacturing defect (window motors) that had me in 12+ times for replacements. It was annoying but never left me on the side of the road. Loved that car and never had an issue besides that. Paid $0 in maintenance other than oil changes and the occasional air filter. Then I hit the 6-year mark. A dashboard light came on and I took it in. $5800 worth of repairs were recommended. I told them to fix the thing that made the light come on and traded it in for an Infiniti that I drove for 11 years.

• Like 1

My 2011 Acura MDX has a tech package, but back then that didn't include much. I tried the voice control on it once and it sucked terribly - nothing like what you get with modern devices. What I love is the big knob that controls the Nav, Audio, Bluetooth phone connection, etc vs. a touch-screen (believe those started coming a year or two later on the MDX). The knob turns, toggles in 4 directions, and pushes in, giving you complete control without your hand ever leaving the knob. Took a while to learn all of the ins and outs, but I'd be lost if I had to relearn stuff now on a modern touchscreen. With more than enough cargo space, AWD, and 300hp, I'm willing to accept the poor gas mileage.  

If I had to replace it today, I'd jump on a newish Honda AWD Passport with the 280 HP V6. I see no signs of the MDX slowing down though, and with only 137K miles on it and working from home now, it could seriously be my last car.  

Honda’s voice recognition still sucks. Siri on Apple CarPlay is 1000% better. Since it’s just an interface to your phone there’s nothing new to dick with. Just plug and play. My kind of stupid simple technology.

If the passport was around when I traded in my element 3 years ago I may have considered it. Pilot/Passport/Ridgeline are same vehicle from front seats forward. Drivetrain, dash, width/height etc is identical. Just rear seat(s) configuration and length changes. Passport gains extra storage where the Pilot 3rd row folds into deck. I like the Ridgeline trunk to keep all my bike gear/tools/camping chairs permanently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheX said:

image.png.e15539d86a84cf6c7c7b61e5b997183d.png

After mocking the Element endlessly when they first came out, I secretly want one now. Seems like a great activity rig. However, the 4 passenger limitation and high-resale value is a deal breaker. They are too expensive for too many miles on the used market. 

7 minutes ago, RedRider3141 said:

They are too expensive for too many miles on the used market. 

I was looking for a manual transmission element for a long time.  The only ones I could find that were reasonable turned out to have salvage titles.  They are practical little boxes that just work.

• Like 1

They only did the DX with manual in the early years like 03/04 and they were beyond bare bones like no AC!!! I had an 06 LX AWD that got totaled by APD. Got $1500 less than I paid for it with 40k mi then got the 08 EX AWD and drove the shit out of it for a decade. The water/stain resistant seats and rubber floor are perfect for MTB and paddle sports. Easy to clean and no upholstery to hold odors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/20/2021 at 9:40 AM, AntonioGG said:

I haven't owned a Toyota

I'm such a liar!  My wife inherited a 2001 Tundra SR5 V8 so I think of it as her truck, and it's boring and reliable as it can get.  I've never owned another vehicle where people make you roll the window down to ask if you want to sell it, or put notes on the windshield wiper to call them if we want to sell it.  When my wife was driving it regularly she would get 20mpg.   I am sure I get considerably less than that.  They have no idea @CBaron already has dibs.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TheX said:

image.png.e15539d86a84cf6c7c7b61e5b997183d.png

Some friends of friends or ours (a lesbian couple) had one of my fave license plates ever on their Element, "Boxy Lady"...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm on my third Tundra in a row.  2005 traded in at 234k, 2009, traded in at 254, 2019 has 26k on it now.  Tires, fuel, several sets of brakes(damn trucks are heavy with crewmax and 4x4 every time), and had to put a starter in the 2009 one year.  Not the most exciting vehicle out there, but for dependability I am super happy.  And I do abuse them more then I should.

Now the 2022 tundra looks like it will have the v6 twin turbo out of the big lexus in it.  And I am sure it's getting a full redo on tech options.  I will see how that plays out.  Hoping to keep current tundra for another 8-10 years, then buy one more truck before it's all over.

truckrpr1.jpg

• Like 2